Sliding door stop

dave and mary

May be of interest to some of you, if you end up parking on a slight slope the side door will slide shut or slide fully open.

I saw this on Ebay and thought it looked a good idea, not cheap but a well made bit of equipment it fits into the already holes at the bottom of the door track there are 3 or 4 different holes that you can use, so I sent for one and now fitted I have found it very good especially for us having a drive with a slight slope.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 413
May be of interest to some of you, if you end up parking on a slight slope the side door will slide shut or slide fully open.

I saw this on Ebay and thought it looked a good idea, not cheap but a well made bit of equipment it fits into the already holes at the bottom of the door track there are 3 or 4 different holes that you can use, so I sent for one and now fitted I have found it very good especially for us having a drive with a slight slope.
Could you post a link please.

If cost or availability might be an issue, then Vanterrier wrote on Motorhomer in 2019 :

"Make your own... If you have an X250 then this will do the trick. A piece of metal 100x22 MM bent as in photo and secured with three pop rivets. Rivet it in place to the upright of the bottom track.
It stops the door even when the nose or tail of the van is high by retaining the original catch in the centre section.
Simples..."
image.jpeg

We use a piece of high density foam, that was from packaging which we would have normally thrown away.
just place it in the door rail/track. Costs nothing, dosen’t matter if it gets lost and easy to store👍

I think 'stopseys' (iirc the original one) could be a good idea, and have always intended fitting one, but for the last 10 years have been using a tennis ball.

Saw this on another forum.

I suppose you've done this, but if not, click the link to the sellers name in 'Post 3' above, and then press the blue 'CONTACT' button. 'jeffthenut' is still actively trading, his reviews are good, and I would be astonished if he reply to you quickly.

Has anyone come up with a way of stopping the Shuuuuuuuuush CLUNK . We had one next to us last time out. Bit disturbing at 2am and again at 5am as he must have needed the loo.

I use a cork from a French cider bottle. Just stick it in one of the aforementioned holes and gently bring the door upto the cork. Works fine for holding the door open, but more tricky to stop it sliding fully open. A piece of Dowel of the correct size would also do the trick.

I think 'stopseys' (iirc the original one) could be a good idea, and have always intended fitting one, but for the last 10 years have been using a tennis ball.
We do the same....used to be handy spare for our dog Chloe too but now it is just used as door stop.

Anything that can stop a door sliding closed when it needs to be open is a good idea. Not only for slopes. We were next to a Renault camper at a beauty spot, had a chat to the guy and we were disturbed by a scream like nothing I have heard before. They had two kids, one pushed the door closed and the other had their hand on the door jamb. The resulting mess was hard to look at. He was distraught (no wife with him, she was out with the girls at home) so I drove him in his van to the hospital. My lady looked after the other child.

And the moral of the story? Leave the kids at home! If you can't, secure the door.

On my build, I had to shorten the SLD middle rail as the Seitz window was 1300mm long and the door couldn't go back that far so the existing stop was in the wrong place but welded, so I made a wedge out of the rail and the door slid over that and stopped the door from closing so you had to press it down or the door was impossible to move.

1682600202144.png

Unless there is more than two people in the van fit two single seats and go in and out via the cab.

Has anyone come up with a way of stopping the Shuuuuuuuuush CLUNK . We had one next to us last time out. Bit disturbing at 2am and again at 5am as he must have needed the loo.
The electric closers are really good as they do not slam just close it.

Yes. Get a Globe Car. They have an electric sensor which detects when the door is nearly closed, grabs the door and shuts it silently. That doesn't help with the sliding closed / open when on a slope, but as has been said there are a dozen DIY free ways of doing that. They are so good that they would sway me towards getting a Globe Car which in any case are very well made indeed and have other quality desirable features as well.
I see that some new cars with sliding doors have full electric closers, (press a button and the electrics do the rest). I bet you anything they will soon be on campervans

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back