SIM - Cheap and never ending 😊

I use a giffgaff payg card in my tracker. Unlike most others they don't require you to add credit within a stipulated time to keep the sim active. You need to credit £10 to start off with, and there has to be a chargeable action at least every 6 months, either a call, text, or Internet connection. In the case of my tracker the Internet connection costs pennies.
I think Ip mobile want at least one £10 top up every 120 days to keep the sim active.

i’ve just been caught by the 1p min £10 every 120 days this was a spare sim that i put in an old phone buried in the van on leisure battery in case my tracker on the veh battery gets disabled , didn’t realise this (my fault) when i repurposed the old sim

i’ve just been caught by the 1p min £10 every 120 days this was a spare sim that i put in an old phone buried in the van on leisure battery in case my tracker on the veh battery gets disabled , didn’t realise this (my fault) when i repurposed the old sim
Yes when 1 penny gets down to £2 or 4 mths it auto tops up if you have set it up that way on line, all our mobiles are as such.

yes Giff-gaff can be set to auto topup
You can set the value of the autotopup to say £10 ..
I hardly use my phone/giif-gaff over winter but it works fine

I've now looked more closely at the link, and it looks as though the unit will send a return message, so there would be no problem about the chargeable action if it's in regular use. It mentions SMS but if it can do it via an app the data cost would be minimal.
One thing to note is that it may need a 2g GSM network, which 3 does not use, so 3 and the MVNOs which use it, like iD Mobile and Smarty, would not be suitable.

I've now looked more closely at the link, and it looks as though the unit will send a return message, so there would be no problem about the chargeable action if it's in regular use. It mentions SMS but if it can do it via an app the data cost would be minimal.
One thing to note is that it may need a 2g GSM network, which 3 does not use, so 3 and the MVNOs which use it, like iD Mobile and Smarty, would not be suitable.
Yes thanks, I see there are 3g (and 4g) versions too,
This one the RTU5024, I was looking at is cheap but there is also a RTU5035 which is dearer but I can't see what is better about it.? 🤷‍♀️

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back