Sea view

Sad end to some nice vans apparently they were doing a photo shoot for there wedding business in the cave and had been warned to get gone as the tide was on its way in. :cry:

Presuming the engines were not running, aside from electrics/upholstery what will actually be damaged with regards to engine and transmission? (Presuming they wash with copious fresh water asap)

Very sad, but can I use the word "plonkers" here without causing offence? :eek::oops::)

Kind of reminds me of all the people who, even to this day, manage to get themselves cut off by the tide halfway across the Holy Island causeway in Northumberland, despite all the big warning signs and instructions at either end. Makes we wonder if people are still not able to read in our wonderful modern world of technology?

Actually, it's probably just that a lot of visitors to these places are plain ignorant of the great outdoors and the dangerous nature of the sea?

Instant right off
Why is stripping down not an option, wouldn't bother with an old fiesta but is a collectable VW not worth it? Its advised that you don't buy an ex marines Landy cos of corrosion but with one submersion I am interested to what mechanically would be damaged to make it a write off.

Last edited:
It happens every year on the sandy beach at folkestone. Tides out. People drive on beach launch there boat and away they go boating for the day. On there return they then find trailer and car underwater.

Why is stripping down not an option, wouldn't bother with an old fiesta but is a collectable VW not worth it? Its advised that you don't buy an ex marines Landy cos of corrosion but with one submersion I am interested to what mechanically would be damaged to make it a write off.
It is an insurance standard all mechanical parts would be corroded with salt water ,engine and gearbox would be full of water through breathers .etc

Only economic/insurance right off's.

If you have, deep enough pockets, time and the necessary skills, they could be back on the road.

If the VW in the pic was a splitty it would be saved, pretty sure about that, Bay window, not so sure about.

Years ago I had to collect a hilux from southport beach sandworks that had been under the sea all night. They wanted us to see if it would run again so we drained all the fluids and put a fresh battery and fluids in but it would not start. We all went home and it caught fire that afternoon well the dash did as the rest was so wet. Salt water must have shorted all the electrics out😭.

Presuming the engines were not running, aside from electrics/upholstery what will actually be damaged with regards to engine and transmission? (Presuming they wash with copious fresh water asap)
Engine will fill with water and so will g.box through breather,diff to,but all can be flushed ,but all the vh will require a internal strip and hose out within hrs.
As this is beyond most folk its a ins wright of.

insurance right offs are categories the bad ones cannot be sold on and have to be crushed .if a flood damage vehicle was repaird it would have problems for the rest of its short life , electrical problems on a modern vehicle would be horrendous. Insurance companies measure the the watermark on the vehicle if it is above their limit it is scrap ,fresh water flood damage also have the problem of infectious disease .

insurance right offs are categories the bad ones cannot be sold on and have to be crushed .if a flood damage vehicle was repaird it would have problems for the rest of its short life , electrical problems on a modern vehicle would be horrendous. Insurance companies measure the the watermark on the vehicle if it is above their limit it is scrap ,fresh water flood damage also have the problem of infectious disease .

Baz, if the tyres had been fully inflated to the manufacturers specs, would the vehicles have floated?

An in-joke folks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back