Scottish adventure.

Dan Gates

Free Member
Hello everyone! We are the Gates family from Southampton. Me, the wife, 3 girls (8yrs, 4yrs + 5months) and a golden retriever called Barney. We have a motorhome called Dixie and this summer we are planning on touring scotland. We normally go to France, but this year it's a staycation. We are a little bit mad and dont really like planning. Just see where the road takes us.
Hoping you can all give us some great tips for our adventure. Places to see, stay and explore. The wilder the better!

Hello for west Wales.

We looked at Scotland for a trip in September but were put off by the thought of midges. Might be worth researching them and what you can do to reduce their effect on you.

Hi and Welcome.

Scotland is a large country; don't try to do too much. I did a 3-week trip recently using the POIs and never went north of a line drawn between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Many superb coastal and inland locations.
Planning on another 3 or 4 weeks soon, slightly further north.

Midges are all part of the Scottish adventure so if your not prepared to “suffer” them you may not enjoy your time in Scotland

Hello everyone! We are the Gates family from Southampton. Me, the wife, 3 girls (8yrs, 4yrs + 5months) and a golden retriever called Barney. We have a motorhome called Dixie and this summer we are planning on touring scotland. We normally go to France, but this year it's a staycation. We are a little bit mad and dont really like planning. Just see where the road takes us.
Hoping you can all give us some great tips for our adventure. Places to see, stay and explore. The wilder the better!
If you don't plan it it can't go wrong!🙃🤭😂
Loch Morlich is worth a visit not far from Aviemore.
20210618_075239.jpg
20210618_075239.jpg

We know Scotland like the back of our hands. The obvious route for a newbie is the NC500, but every man and his dog are doing that, now the route has a name. That has caused a negative local reaction. However there are not many roads in Scotland so alternatives or diversions can be difficult. The further north you go, the wilder it gets. Get past Inverness and you will leave behind most of the coaches. The best wilderness is Argyll to Sutherland. Fantastic coast and mountains. Wild camping is easy compared to southern England but not as easy as it used to be, due to the influx. We are in Chandler's Ford so we have the same haul north as you. We break the drive in half. Look for Shap on the M6, zoom into the area and look for a reservoir. Can't remember the name. It's a lovely overnighter or maybe two. If you can't find it, pm me.

Thank you everyone for this great advice. We have done west scotland before but with a car and only 1 child at the time. We are looking forward to doing the east and north this time. We are both teachers so we are in no rush! Looking forward to finding some hidden gems. So any other tips would be brill x

Reactions: Cie
We know Scotland like the back of our hands. The obvious route for a newbie is the NC500, but every man and his dog are doing that, now the route has a name. That has caused a negative local reaction. However there are not many roads in Scotland so alternatives or diversions can be difficult. The further north you go, the wilder it gets. Get past Inverness and you will leave behind most of the coaches. The best wilderness is Argyll to Sutherland. Fantastic coast and mountains. Wild camping is easy compared to southern England but not as easy as it used to be, due to the influx. We are in Chandler's Ford so we have the same haul north as you. We break the drive in half. Look for Shap on the M6, zoom into the area and look for a reservoir. Can't remember the name. It's a lovely overnighter or maybe two. If you can't find it, pm me.
Thanks for the advice. We are stopping in the cotswolds for a couple of nights first. Using the britstops to save some pennies for scotland when we need some recovery time at a proper campsite.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back