Scarborough

AdriaTwin

I notice on Motorhomer
site that No overnight signs have finally gone up in Sea Life centre carpark. Inevitable really with the number of vans in there recently overnight. On POI map the Burniston Road carpark next to Alpamare water park is listed as available overnight. Not used this one ourselves. Does anyone know what their signs say ? Is it privately owned or Scarborough council ?

Just found this
So it seems it's not a Scarborough council carpark. £6 for 24 hours, don't mind paying that, it's cheaper than Lytham St. Anne's
Not a seaview but I think you can walk round back of waterpark down to North bay prom.

According to all the signs it belongs to Scaby plenty of no overnight camping, caravan, motorcaravan signs up and the charge is £9 for 24hrs. I had a ride through this afternoon.

Makes me laugh, a parking ticket available for a 24 hr stay, but no overnight camping! Why the hell do they think you would park there for 24hrs & not sleep there....

Well this is a shame.Used to be another of our favourite stopovers.And I was just convincing Swmbo that we could go there soon who has been too nervous to go anywhere in our Campervan since this Lockdown was eased.Well The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg can now be related to the Sea Life Centre.Added to the never ending list of banned overnight gems.Too good for far too long and recent weekends have spoiled it due to it being rammed with Motorhomes and Campervans.
Probably a few #covidiots who have recently bought Motorhomes were treating it like a campsite not knowing the rules to follow.

Well this is a shame.Used to be another of our favourite stopovers.And I was just convincing Swmbo that we could go there soon who has been too nervous to go anywhere in our Campervan since this Lockdown was eased.Well The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg can now be related to the Sea Life Centre.Added to the never ending list of banned overnight gems.Too good for far too long and recent weekends have spoiled it due to it being rammed with Motorhomes and Campervans.
Probably a few #covidiots who have recently bought Motorhomes were treating it like a campsite not knowing the rules to follow.
Agree 100%

The sign states no overnight camping, I thought camping was when you got your table and chairs out, like I believe a number of people have, on another site there is a suggestion you can still park up there and it would be legal to sleep in your van, but not to actually camp there, perhaps someone could contact Scarborough council to get this clarified.

Screenshot_20200802-094549.png

The sign states no overnight camping, I thought camping was when you got your table and chairs out, like I believe a number of people have, on another site there is a suggestion you can still park up there and it would be legal to sleep in your van, but not to actually camp there, perhaps someone could contact Scarborough council to get this clarified.
On Andy Strangeways site they say the notices are unenforceable but it’s now a question of who will try it, they did the same 4/5 years ago and it got rid of the people that did more than just park, but they creep back in so it’s a bit like an ethnic cleansing of the MH park up flush out the dross and the ones who just park for the night and move on during the day will be left alone.

I had thought that this car park was private and motorhomes were allowed because of a benevolent management. The signs are council signs so it must be a council car park and the signs must therefore be backed up by an off-street parking order. I've not looked up the Scarborough off street order for confirmation.

We don't, as a group, defy any signs but it is a perfectly valid protest to defy, openly, a sign we believe to be unlawful and say, in effect - “There is no offence committed by me. Issue me a PCN and we'll take it to appeal where I will win and you will lose.”

Of course, it seems to me without any further evidence, that the signs are inadequate anyway, with no defiition, for example, of overnighting.

There is another point occurring to me. There is a proposal for one part of Scarborough Council area, the possible Whitby Aire opening up, and this one closing down. Seems a bit contradictory and I wonder why.

The proposed aire is out of the way and this one isn't?

Enforceable or not they have had the desired effect. Yesterday afternoon when I rode through that same view in the photo would have had a lot of MHs in it.
The Sealife website states the carpark is owned and run by Scaby council it is also listed on Scaby council parking. Scalby Mills carpark.

Going back to OP, has anyone overnighted in Burniston road,Alpamare Waterpark car park ?

So Mr Strangeway who seems knowledgeable in these things says the signs arent enforceable due to No Off Street Parking Order In Place.Wonder if anyone wants to chance their luck and to see if the warden arrives and slaps on an illegal unenforceable Ticket on their windscreen.Dont think I want to be the Guinea Pig but I bet someone who has now read Andys views on this will go for it?

Good idea ’to go for it’. While they are there they can dig the holes for the barriers that will inevitably follow.

Good idea ’to go for it’. While they are there they can dig the holes for the barriers that will inevitably follow.

If the council has no authority to erect the signs then why do we allow it? Out of fear, or course. Like you say – what will the repercussion be? In this case you give the threat that a height barrier will follow. If we always follow that line of never resist then councils will do what they like knowing that the public will never object. It will never be held responsible. If the council does have authority then the off-street parking orderwill make it clear. I still haven't looked but the point you make is more important. If we let the fear of what the council will do if we don't submit overwhelm us then we do not have democracy; we have dictatorship. Dictatorship doesn't end well.

This quotation came to mind.

2020-08-02_124833.png

And Annie that Pub Restaurant just by the car park now will lose a lot of trade due to the ban which the Motorhome/Campervan stopovers used to bring to them.
And the people to blame for that are the motorhome owners who chose to abuse this place. The council put these signs up and enforceable or not they are having the desired effect so aren’t a waste of money as the Strangeman would like you to believe.

If the council has no authority to erect the signs then why do we allow it? Out of fear, or course. Like you say – what will the repercussion be? In this case you give the threat that a height barrier will follow. If we always follow that line of never resist then councils will do what they like knowing that the public will never object. It will never be held responsible. If the council does have authority then the off-street parking orderwill make it clear. I still haven't looked but the point you make is more important. If we let the fear of what the council will do if we don't submit overwhelm us then we do not have democracy; we have dictatorship. Dictatorship doesn't end well.

This quotation came to mind.

View attachment 84949
I don’t think the council is the issue here? Surely it’s the motorhomers abusing the place and it’s an education issue. If the motorhomers didn’t abuse it the signs wouldn’t have been erected.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back