Scarborough

Legally enforceable signs or not, I'm not sure ignoring them and parking up does a great deal to help our image to the general publics perception of 'us'

Besides if someone doesn't want me parking there and spending money locally
I'm happy to go find somewhere else where I AM welcome...

And Annie that Pub Restaurant just by the car park now will lose a lot of trade due to the ban which the Motorhome/Campervan stopovers used to bring to them.
I doubt t as 4 motorhomes stayed last night but just parked no tables abandoned chairs out and the ticket fairy left them alone apparently..

If the council has no authority to erect the signs then why do we allow it? Out of fear, or course. Like you say – what will the repercussion be? In this case you give the threat that a height barrier will follow. If we always follow that line of never resist then councils will do what they like knowing that the public will never object. It will never be held responsible. If the council does have authority then the off-street parking orderwill make it clear. I still haven't looked but the point you make is more important. If we let the fear of what the council will do if we don't submit overwhelm us then we do not have democracy; we have dictatorship. Dictatorship doesn't end well.

This quotation came to mind.

View attachment 84949
I just feel that using polite normal channels of communication with the relevant authorities is more likely to get a reasoned discussion. The try it and see it or the f*** ’em approach is t really going to inform the folk responsible for managing the area.

I doubt t as 4 motorhomes stayed last night but just parked no tables abandoned chairs out and the ticket fairy left them alone apparently..

Ah thats interesting then so maybe the signs arent enforceable as surely the warden would have pounced with a grin all over his/her face. :D

Ah thats interesting then so maybe the signs arent enforceable as surely the warden would have pounced with a grin all over his/her face. :D
They did this 4/5 years ago got rid of the dross and slowly started to turn a blind eye again so maybe it was just a shake up.

Of course we should use polite forms of communication. Interesting that no tickets have yet been issued. I think that points to the council knowing that the signs are fraudulent.

N Yorks Council and Scarborough Council have a history of erecting non-enforceable signs - without the aurhority to do so - and seemingly had no shame - until both councils had to backtrack and remove them. They had the idea that they could erect whatever signs they wanted provided they had no intention of enforcing them. Depending on the public's docility and usually athey can count on that.

Regardless of all that. We must obey the law. It is doubly important that those who make the law should obey the law. Councils must always act lawfully - erecting signs without authority is not lawful. Having said that - I've still not read the off-street parking order but I'm fairly sure, for example, that overnight would have to be defined.

Here's their historic attitude to legality of signage.

Emily Unenforcable Signs with Border.jpg

It's the Cummings (and other untouchables) syndrome. We make the law for you to obey; we do not have to obey it ourselves.

How strange ( yes that is a pun ) that " he who shall not be named " name is now allowed on here now because it used to get asterisked out o_O

Maybe Covid-19 has affected more than what we think it has :eek:

How strange ( yes that is a pun ) that " he who shall not be named " name is now allowed on here now because it used to get asterisked out o_O

Maybe Covid-19 has affected more than what we think it has :eek:
I know when I posted the name I expected lots of XXX but it didn’t has some in the WC workings broken or fixed depending on your viewpoint 😂😂

Me and Otto were in the SeaLife carpark for a Friday night a couple of weeks ago, visiting our favourite pub in the town. This was probably the weekend before the signs got put up.Folk with a couple of gigantic caravans turned up along with a small flotilla of T5s and claimed the entire coach parking area for themselves. We returned on Sunday after a trip round the moors and they were in the exact same spot.

Me and Otto were in the SeaLife carpark for a Friday night a couple of weeks ago, visiting our favourite pub in the town. This was probably the weekend before the signs got put up.Folk with a couple of gigantic caravans turned up along with a small flotilla of T5s and claimed the entire coach parking area for themselves. We returned on Sunday after a trip round the moors and they were in the exact same spot.

Caravans? you sure these werent proper Travellers? Last year we were in Bridlington on the Coach and Lorry park behind Tesco by the Station.At one stage a T5 towing a Caravan pulled in and went up the opposite end to Tesco.Within 30 minutes another 20 pulled in and then marked off the far end with their vehicles and Caravans.
We didnt stay.
Next day an article in local Rag saying Gypsies taken over the complete car park we were in.

Caravans? you sure these werent proper Travellers? Last year we were in Bridlington on the Coach and Lorry park behind Tesco by the Station.At one stage a T5 towing a Caravan pulled in and went up the opposite end to Tesco.Within 30 minutes another 20 pulled in and then marked off the far end with their vehicles and Caravans.
We didnt stay.
Next day an article in local Rag saying Gypsies taken over the complete car park we were in.
Hilderthorpe car park you are referring too. I wondered why I was getting strange looks towing a caravan with my motorhome, different occasion of course and I was joined with a few more vans and living trailers,...yup the fair had arrived in town 10 day job that one

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back