Scandinavia with dogs

hulio

Hi all
I'm thinking of going to Denmark,norway and Sweden later this year and was wondering has anyone taken their dogs to these countries in their motorhome
If so was there any problems crossing borders.
I met a Norwegian couple in France the last time I was there and said I would like to visit norway and they said I may not be able to bring dogs into norway in my motorhome
Thanks in advance

Norway is part of the pet passport scheme so there should be no issues
That is not quite correct.

They recognise an EU passport but also require the same tapeworm treatment, from a vet as we do in the UK prior to entry, as well as a health inspection by the vet. Once there you may move between Norway and Sweden freely.

Since we will no longer be in the EU quite soon neither will we have EU pet passports, unless some other arrangements have been made for mutual recognition, it is quite unclear what might happen, if anything, nobody seems to know, certainly not my vet.

At the moment we may exit the UK to the EU without any checks. It is only upon on our return that we have to have to have the stamps to show that the animal has been inspected, vaccinations are current, and wormed between 1 and 5 days prior to return, and that it matches the microchip. Once in the EU we may wander about freely with no checks. An EU passport demonstrates little more than that the animal has been microchipped and has a current rabies vaccination. To enter the UK with one we require further checks and treatment, by a qualified vet, in advance.

For the UK the pet passport is an essential part of biosecurity. In the EU their biosecurity has long been compromised, rabies and a particularly nasty tapeworm are rife, along with other nasties. Sadly people still die every year from rabies contacted from dogs and other animals and people there are rightly cautious about the risks. Dog ownership in some is supposed to be regulated and licensed, but of course that is not universally complied with. Just as our compulsory microchipping and puppy vaccination is not either, and we did away with licences years ago.

The Nordic countries, not EU, are similarly particular about biosecurity as the UK, far less casual, and quite keen to keep it that way.

So do your homework.

Thank you for your reply Sharpie
This is what im worried about so hopefully someone who has taken there dogs to scandinavia can advise
As i said thanks again

So do your homework.
What a rude individual you are, and an uncalled for pedantic remark

Common sense dictates if you are visiting a specific country you do your own checks and perhaps check for local ailments that can affect the animal. Eg processionary caterpillars,sand flys in south of France.

Have you ever read the book L how to win friends and influence people?” By dale carnegie you may learn something.

Last 48 hours you have had a go at admin,and questioned someone who makes their living from outboard engines. For the last 30 years.

as another poster mentioned you can cross borders in Scandinavia and not know you have

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it should be any problem if you get your ducks in a row. One more thing you may not know is that in Norway they have a dog act and a leash law, dogs on leads at all times from 1 April to 20 August, you can't just exercise them off lead as we are used to.

Something similar in Germany I think, some German friends were amazed when they visited and saw the freedom allowed to mine, we have a concept of close control, but that requires a well disciplined obedient dog, not all are.

Common sense dictates if you are visiting a specific country you do your own checks and perhaps check for local ailments that can affect the animal. Eg processionary caterpillars,sand flys in south of France.

Have you ever read the book L how to win friends and influence people?” By dale carnegie you may learn something.

Last 48 hours you have had a go at admin,and questioned someone who makes their living from outboard engines. For the last 30 years.

as another poster mentioned you can cross borders in Scandinavia and not know you have

Channa, I can only assume that you are having a bad day. Please don't take it out on me, it is most impolite, Please just ignore me, nevermind obsessively stalking my every post.

Have you taken a dog to Norway ? Well neither have I.

PS: do you travel widely with a dog? Well I do, but not yet to Scandinavia, and am as interested as the OP to hear about the realities of how that might work. A trip in the planning is to start with a crossing to Holland, visit a relative in Denmark then cross the Øresund bridge/tunnel into Scandinavia and see Sweden Finland, and Norway then return from there, possibly seeing some other Baltic countries as well,

My dog can woof in, so far, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Swiss, Croatian, Slovenian, Serbian, Bosnian, Austrian and even knows a few more Eastern European doggy dialects.

So far I have only ever been checked on re-entry to the UK, and complied with our additional procedures before returning.

If entering Norway directly from the UK it may be necessary to have the worming treatment beforehand, I do not know, but e.g https://www.tripsavvy.com/taking-a-dog-to-norway-1626508 suggests it might. And once we are out of the EU, who knows, we may become a "third country" which would also mean having to notify the Norwegian District Office about the time and place of arrival at least 48 hours prior.

I really don't know, my vet doesn't either,the ferry companies possibly do, and I really don't expect it to be any problem, business as usual.

When entering via Sweden I can find no mention of needing anything more than an EU passport.

If entering Sweden over the bridge maybe just a passport showing the rabies jabs is all that is required. Try reading this:

Between Sweden and Norway no rabies vaccination is even required, they don't have it yet. We actually do have a version, in some of our bat population, but that isn't widely known, and you won't catch it unless you handle bats, as I sometimes do, under license, but I digress.

The OP asked about how it really works, I do not know and ISTM nobody has yet posted recent personal experience. It would be nice to hear some of that, rather than receive a very nasty ticking off from someone who might be suffering from other problems. That's more harsh than I've ever been before Channa, and I hope never to have to do it again, and if I do it will be by PM, not in public, it is most unpleasant, leaves a bad taste, and I hope that in general my posts are polite and moderate, albeit sometimes brusque.

You seem to have a vendetta against me for whatever reason. If I have rubbed you up the wrong way in the past, just forget it, life's too short, I like things calm and steady, which they almost always are here, apart from a very very few angry characters whom I ignore. You are one of them, and I suggest you just ignore me too and take out your bitterness on somebody else, if that makes you happy.

This is a discussion forum where varied opinions, knowledge and experience are shared. You may think you know it all, but nobody does know everything, I certainly don't. So please back off, learn to listen, and think carefully before you post abuse publicly for everyone to see, and to be preserved forever. If you continue to have a problem with me, as I do with your attitude, take it to PM, , but you don't seem to work that way, just blurt it out and speak your brains. Perhaps take a while before clicking that button, calm down and re-read after you have calmed down a little.

This is the last that I have to say on the matter. I'm not sure that there is an ignore facility here but if there is you will be the first entry, and I suggest you do the same with me.

Last edited:
Hi all
I'm thinking of going to Denmark,norway and Sweden later this year and was wondering has anyone taken their dogs to these countries in their motorhome
If so was there any problems crossing borders.
I met a Norwegian couple in France the last time I was there and said I would like to visit norway and they said I may not be able to bring dogs into norway in my motorhome
Thanks in advance
From which country do you intend to enter Norway from?

Channa just press the ignore button. As he's proud of saying he isn't going to change. And I suppose it's giving his dog a rest from listening to him. We have to read(ignore) his posts. God willing he will go back to just looking. IL take a bet. He will reply even knowing I have blocked him and will never see his posts😂

I hope to enter from Denmark
You will have to go through the same worming procedure as you would if you were returning to UK, similarly if you go into Sweden first then into Norway the same rule applies. I have done the Denmark , Sweden into Norway route twice and is straightforward, no additional paperwork was required, we have a Golden Retriever.HTH

Sharpie you are breath of fresh air but you do come across as that Greta thunberg lass.
Perhaps I am somewhere on the spectrum, but at least I don't have a control-freak father operating me like a puppet.

I do try to always be nice, but clearly I sometimes get it slightly wrong, please be tolerant.

You will have to go through the same worming procedure as you would if you were returning to UK, similarly if you go into Sweden first then into Norway the same rule applies. I have done the Denmark , Sweden into Norway route twice and is straightforward, no additional paperwork was required, we have a Golden Retriever.HTH
Thank you for your reply it's good to hear from someone who has been to Scandinavia with there dogs in a motorhome all the Web info is not very clear for someone travelling in a motorhome ps I have 2 springer spaniels and a shorkie
Thanks again

Thank you for your reply it's good to hear from someone who has been to Scandinavia with there dogs in a motorhome all the Web info is not very clear for someone travelling in a motorhome ps I have 2 springer spaniels and a shorkie
Thanks again
I don't approve of these frankenstein animals, half shark half pork pie.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back