Sat nav on a phone?

Caz

The ciggie lighter socket in my car has gone kaput so I can't use my sat nav. What phone app do folk use instead? I tried Via Michelin but I can't make head nor tail of how to use it. I need one that will shout out instructions as obviously I can't look at it or the rozzers will nab me.
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

POI Admin

POI Administrator
Easiest to get the socket fixed I would have thought... Google Maps is free but requires an internet connection. There are many sat nav apps available which allow you to download the maps to the phone so you can operate offline. I use TomTom Mobile which requires an annual subscription but can be tried for free. Our POIs can be used with this app.

mid4did

Here wego Get it from play store on android phone. You can download maps or use it live. My brother uses it on a tablet and swears by it. I,ve got it on my phone to check routes in advance,very handy.

Markd

Google maps tends to go for the absolute quickest route so is quite happy to take you up back streets and unsuitable lanes. It gobbles data if you use satellite view. Instructions are late and no lane advice. Restore power to the socket!

antiquesam

I use TomTom mobile. It's worth the few quid a year for a system that warns of cameras and diverts you if there is trouble on the road ahead.

Private

If you have a portable power bank for emergency charging of your phone (essential kit for motorhomers?) then you should be able to use that to power your sat nav until you get the socket repaired.

Caz

Thanks for all the suggestions, will have a play with them. Easiest to get the socket fixed I would have thought... Not really worth it, may be changing car soon as LPG stopping at Shell, will have to get a diesel car. If you have a portable power bank for emergency charging of your phone (essential kit for motorhomers?) then you should be able to use that to power your sat nav until you get the socket repaired. Good idea, why didn't I think of that, thanks.

POI Admin

POI Administrator
If you have a portable power bank for emergency charging of your phone (essential kit for motorhomers?) then you should be able to use that to power your sat nav until you get the socket repaired. They don't have 12v accessory output as far as I know, just USB sockets ...

Private

They don't have 12v accessory output as far as I know, just USB sockets ... Don't most (all?) sat navs run on 5v even if secondary option for when connected to PC? I read OP as only requiring option to power sat nav.

Reactions: Caz

ricc

Stay well away from diesel cars,vw injectors £1000 each. buy a thousand pound car with 12 month mot and throw it away when it gets expensivly broken.

POI Admin

POI Administrator
Don't most (all?) sat navs run on 5v even if secondary option for when connected to PC? I read OP as only requiring option to power sat nav. I imagine it depends on the sat nav but why would it provide two power sources when it's intended to run from a 12 volt source? The USB connection, if there is one, is only used for data transfer.

Private

I imagine it depends on the sat nav but why would it provide two power sources when it's intended to run from a 12 volt source? The USB connection, if there is one, is only used for data transfer. I use TomTom (old 720 and new 6000) and the 12v plug for old TomTom is a voltage reducer (12v to 5). New TomTom is powered by USB only (12v to USB socket provided in box). Not sure about Garmin is I don't have it with me and not used enough to remember.