Ridge Monkey Meals

Welsh will

Free Member
Well just got myself a Ridge Monkey ready for our off end of next week up Scotland West coast. Intentions are that it will save space As Well as having a lid keep things tidy.
Just asking if anybody uses one and any straightforeward meal suggestions that were a sucess in it Please guys. Don't really want it just to cook a fry up every day :giggle:

When I was away in Spain and Portugal I used it to cook chicken thighs - really juicy - but don't do what I did. I stupidly thought I could just turn the monkey over to cook both sides ... lots of juice came out and I nearly set my van on fire. Ok to do when you're making toasted sandwiches or wraps though.

When I was away in Spain and Portugal I used it to cook chicken thighs - really juicy - but don't do what I did. I stupidly thought I could just turn the monkey over to cook both sides ... lots of juice came out and I nearly set my van on fire. Ok to do when you're making toasted sandwiches or wraps though.

Thanks for that bit of advice, you do get the impression that you can turn it over. Defiantly won't now you have high lighted your near disaster. Glad it worked for your chicken though.

I'm sure you can for some things but it's not watertight so obviously not things that give off fat/juices.

I've used one for years.

Google 'Ridge Monkey' and look at the videos on Youtube, there are quite a few recipes shown there.

I've used one for years.

Google 'Ridge Monkey' and look at the videos on Youtube, there are quite a few recipes shown there.
Yes il do that, thanks Rob......seem to watch more You Tube stuff since started my van conversion than I do normally tv haha. A lot of good stuff on there.
Obviously if you have used one for years they must be pretty handy.

Yes il do that, thanks Rob......seem to watch more You Tube stuff since started my van conversion than I do normally tv haha. A lot of good stuff on there.
Obviously if you have used one for years they must be pretty handy.

I'm also a keen angler Will.

Having hot food on the river bank, especially when night fishing, makes the whole trip a lot more enjoyable and the Ridge Monkey is a simple solution. My latest one even came with plastic utensils which store inside it.

Wouldn't be without one now.

I'm also a keen angler Will.

Having hot food on the river bank, especially when night fishing, makes the whole trip a lot more enjoyable and the Ridge Monkey is a simple solution. My latest one even came with plastic utensils which store inside it.

Wouldn't be without one now.
Yes that's the one we have. It says XL but would hate to see small! It be fine just for the 2 of us though. Think it was designed for Anglers originally. Just checked You Tube now and as you say loads of good recipes on there, so thanks again for the advice.

I had never heard of them before ...another item to add to my 'stuff' ... who says camping food has to be boring !!

Found this on youtube thanks Rob :)

YouTube

Cooked steak, mushrooms, onions and green beans last night in my TF Gear (like Ridge Monkey), there was a fair bit of juice but no spillage. Flicked it over quickly every couple of minutes. Delicious.
You could add some bread or that pre cooked rice in a pouch to soak up excess juice. You could also use those roasting bags I guess?

This is the sort of thing I would cook on the river bank on a cold winter's night;

YouTube

Quick and easy comfort food! :)

The trick is to turn it really quickly! Still a bit of leakage but manageable.

I had never heard of them before ...another item to add to my 'stuff' ... who says camping food has to be boring !!

Found this on youtube thanks Rob :)

YouTube

Go Outdoors have a 'similar' on sale at £10 at the moment - XL size. I picked one up last night.

They are excellent for omelettes, toasties, fry ups, and cook an excellent steak - beeeuuuutiful!

Terri cooked a bread and butter pudding in hers!

Ridge Monkey

Clevis Pins.jpgIMG_4913.jpgIMG_4914.jpg
I removed the pins from the hinged lid and replaced them with clevis pins (eBay) & R clips (Amazon) so it now splits into two separate pieces - "hey presto" two pans!

Attachments

• R clips.jpg
    R clips.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Well just got myself a Ridge Monkey ready for our off end of next week up Scotland West coast. Intentions are that it will save space As Well as having a lid keep things tidy.
Just asking if anybody uses one and any straightforeward meal suggestions that were a sucess in it Please guys. Don't really want it just to cook a fry up every day :giggle:

Well you could turn a ridge monkey over but take it off the flames and turn it over outside

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back