reversing camera (diy)

jafeica7

i have succesfully fitted a home security camera on my iveco costing around £ 130 from B&Q and it works quite well the only thing is if you use as a review mirror the image is opposite IE cars overtaking seem to be coming up your inside.but its been a real asset for reversing on site etc the only other thing you will need is and inverter to make it 12 volt. i simply use mine with the ciggy lighter. the other plus is the monitor will take 2 cameras although i havent found use for the second camera. the unit is fitted on the dash with velcro so need for drilling as is the the camera. as for the camera it has done around 6000 miles so far with out failing i think thats good for saying how exposed it is at around 15"from the road when i work out how to upload some pics i will post them for anyone interested

An alternative to B&Q is this http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/reverse.htm

I bought one of their colour systems for £180+Vat but in retrospect, the black and white one at £100+vat would have been better as the camera has much better low light resolution. Still, the LCD colour screen does look pretty smart!

Both these systems have the option to reverse the picture so it looks the same as a rear view mirror would.

I have just bopught a wireless system off e-bay.
I am slightly worried theat the camera might not be waterproof but it has a thread on the camera lens so maybe I can mount it so only the surface is exposed.
I was hoping to make it moveable though for driving and reversing.
it needs a battery for the camera and another for the receiver box but I'm also hoping to get something to step down the vans 12 volt to 9 volt for the box and 8 volt for the camera.
I paid 99p for it and £20 for the delivery so from what has been posted I seem to have a bargain. I suppose the proof of that will be if it works.
I have had some thoughts on this reversed image thing and also on the [stupid] fact that it is illeagal to have a telly screen in the drivers view. I shall mount it behind my head and watch it in a mirror, simple [maybe I am being]

Hi roi.

You are correct that it is illeagle to have a TV screen in the drivers view, but NOT a screen that is used for navigation or rear view, so no problem mounting that on the dash. I have actually replaced my rear view mirror with a 5.5" LCD display.

I also had some thoughts about making the camera movable and considered getting a door mirror motor and 4 way switch from the scrap yard. Never got round to trying out my theory and have now mounted a second camera - one pointing back and one straight down for reversing, switchable on the monitor.

As for reversing the image - if you reversed the signal wires, would the image reverse - or am I being simple!!

OR how about this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW (looks the same as the one I have)

I have recently read something on another site about reversing polarity and that reverses the image so you are right.
I didn't know that it was legal to use a tv screen for reversing and rear view, thanks.
if I can find that site I will post it.
I was having the same thoughts as you about the mirror motor and switch and for anyone who buys one of these the camera takes 8 voltsand the reciever 9 but a small device from maplins [ i have got the part no if anyone needs it] will do the job of stepping down the van voltage. i will just have to get 2 of them. It gets more like concord in the cab all the time.

Originally posted by clarkpeacock+Feb 20 2005, 08:03 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clarkpeacock @ Feb 20 2005, 08:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
I also had some thoughts about making the camera movable and considered getting a door mirror motor and 4 way switch from the scrap yard. Never got round to trying out my theory and have now mounted a second camera - one pointing back and one straight down for reversing, switchable on the monitor.[/b]

I used a mirror motor on mine - see my site for details :)

<!--QuoteBegin--clarkpeacock
@Feb 20 2005, 08:03 AM
As for reversing the image - if you reversed the signal wires, would the image reverse - or am I being simple!![/quote]
Its only that simple when using a crt screen by changing over wires on the tube. Don't go trying to switch over the canera cables or battery feed cables, coz it'll pop!! :eek:

here we go tech stuff. so.. averywildcamper that went right over my head. what is a "CRT" screen and how is that different to a telly. I was going to use a little 5" radio/tv I now have spare since I bought a nice new 7".
also the camera I have bought is coulour and the telly is b/w. will that make any difference?
sorry but thickie when it comes to electrickery

Originally posted by roifromnwales@Mar 7 2005, 11:08 PM
what is a "CRT" screen and how is that different to a telly.
CRT = Cathode ray tube, Glass thingy in telly, generally stick out the back. Basically glass globe, but squared off, the bit at the back shots special beams of light to the front (the bit you look at) screen which show bright as it illuminates a phosphorous coating. The beam scans the whole of the screen very quickly by working side to side then down, So to change the image (side to side – mirror effect) you need to change the polarity of the coils around the ‘tube’

LCD = Liquid crystal display. Flat screen, whole thingy shaped like a book. Basically loads of tiny lights to make up a panel which you call a screen

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back