Refusing to move?

• Thread starter Deleted member 34243
  • Start date

Deleted member 34243

WTF?
Tourists who stayed overnight in council car parks during the Bank Holiday weekend, breaking coronavirus guidelines, have been treated to parking fines.

Lincolnshire County Council confirmed eight motorhome owners were issued with parking notices after refusing to leave, despite being asked.

Authority bosses said there had been a “small minority” of people in motorhomes who broke both the COVID-19 instructions and local by-laws.

If they turned up in Range Rovers towing caravans they would've been given 24hrs grace and not been fined.
There be method in me madness so there i
8E085843-EBDC-4B5B-801E-C419EA5A48FD.jpeg
s ....want a deal on some heather ?
965FC652-06F5-4F5E-BF29-1B6A1269E543.jpeg

Last edited:
Catch 22
If they move..They may well get fined again !

Unless of course they are DC or travellers

No need to buy expensive Range Rovers, Asterix - just tell the authorities that they are related to the Cummings family. Sorted :)
oh no not that one.sorry im not re-lated. try another. what boris,oh no. im on my bike. ok.pj.

The story is a little vague and arouses a little curiosity. Regardless of the law, I think the motorhomers were wrong to have stayed overnight. Don't misunderstand me, please. This is the story I read.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/...sts-fined-stay-overnight-lincolnshire-4167284

Not so long before there was a similar incident in Cornwall where motorhomers were woken but no Fixed Penalty Notices were issued.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...van-coronavirus-lockdown-breach-a4447226.html

I thought at the time that there must be no legislation in place and the police were simply enforcing authority's wish list. Otherwise, why not simply issue Fixed Penalty Notices?

Here's the two Acts – and I can't find anything in them, or an amendment, which would allow the issue of fixed penalty notices though they're a tedious read and I quickly grew tired.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/129/contents/made

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2020/7/contents

The Lincolnshire story is that the motorhomers were given parking notices (issued by the council?) – different from the Fixed Penalties for coronovirus contraventions, So I've tried to find an amendment, in law, which prohibits overnight parking of motorhomes – and I can't find it. I think the overnight prohibition might be no more than guidelines. I'm not encouraging people to flout the guidance; in fact I agree with it. But, it might not be law and if anyone can find the amendment I'd be grateful if anyone can find it.

I'm irresistably reminded of the last time Lincolnshire pulled somethng like this. The council said that it had issued 40summonses for contravention of the Huttoft Bye-law regardin voernight parking.. There were two. One pleaded guilty in court and the other, on appeal, was found not guilty and the council was reprimanded by the Judge for abuse of power. So far as I know the Huttoft Bye-Law has never since been enforced.

The government is anxious to confuse what is guidance and what is legislation. Boris in his interview had to he asked more than once – is this guidance or legislation - and he tried not to answer and Mr Hancock was asked a similar question this morning and eventually he came up with the answer that compliance (with track and trace) is a citizen's Civic Duty. But not law?

EDIT> I've just looked up my records for Huttoft - the council claimed to have issuedf 40 sumonses not the 200 I originally said. The 200 figure related to complaints claiemd to be from the public about Hutoft Terrace Car park. There were none - though a total of about two dozen for the entire Lincolnshire County - none about motorhomes.

Last edited:
There's something interesting here. When the Cornwall police moved on those motohomes I wondered why they didn't issue any FPNs and thought itwas probably because there was no legislation - guidance only. The law banning overnight parking did not come into force until Monday of this week.

2020-06-04_201345.png

So the Lincolnshire fines may have had no legal basis - unless they were nothing to do wiht Covid-19 and just part of the normal parking restrictions.

oh no not that one.sorry im not re-lated. try another. what boris,oh no. im on my bike. ok.pj.

Well, they cannot slag off Corbyn because he only has a pushbike and you cannot go far on one of those, especially at his age. :ROFLMAO:

That legislation doesn’t cover living in your van ?
In fact part 6 says no person may, without reasonable excuse, stay overnight at any place other than the place where they are living. These new amendments don’t take into consideration transient people, surely ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back