Recommendations Lisbon and south

redhand

We head off 3rd jan on santander ferry. We have done this previous two years same time of year, previously headed south pronto to get to the warmth.
This year having a bit more time are considering turning at Badajoz for Lisbon for a visit then taking time down west coast to Sagres.
Anyone have experience of this northern area at this time of year ie weather
We dont use toll roads how are the national routes
Any aires stopovers you suggest
Thanks all

Excellent suggestions from ***** my only suggestions are make sure you have plenty of warm clothing as I live in this area I can tell you January can be very cold it’s not unusual to have quiet heavy frost in the morning.If you follow the route from above post also don’t miss Barquinha da nova it’s a lovely quiet spot.

Try before Badajoz at Caceres head west to Portugal then to Marvao, Castelo de Vide, then just 14 km to Baragem de Poava
From here up to Tomar and across to Constancia, then towards the coast.
Check out Foz de Arelho, then Obidas, Penich, and on to Lisbon
Alternatively, from Santander, go along the coast to Tapia, Galicia , then down to the Douro and from here south to the places I have mentioned
All the places I have mentioned have good to excellent aires
Graham, I've lost the link to your last trip together with the pictures, can you pm me with it
Peter

Thanks all for info we have previously just had one stop at salamanca then sevilla area and warmth following day.
Whilst we knew it would be cool in that area hadnt expected cold. As one of the reasons to get away is to avoid cold maybe we'll leave to another time or as witzend suggests do it on the way back

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back