Read this and weep

• Thread starter Deleted member 34243
  • Start date

Deleted member 34243

From Glencoe Mountain Resort Facebook

Campervans at Glencoe Mountain Resort - We would like to thank the campervans who have been booking to stay in our 4 official bays over the last few weeks and those who have heeded our advice not to just pitch up in the car park. We really appreciate all you folks doing things responsibly.

However over the last few weeks we have seen an increasing number of vans just pitching up into the car park. Some are being responsible and are completely self contained and not using our facilities however most are using our toilets, showers, waste disposal, water points and dumping large volumes of waste. While we don't recommend people just pitching up at the moment we have been operating with a light touch and not chasing people away as we appreciate how difficult it can be for people to find a space to stop over at the moment. What would be appreciated though is that people would use our contact tracing app to register there visit and pop a donation in the boxes sited around the car park. Despite around 100 vans just pitching up over the last few weeks and a suggested donation of £5 for use of our facilities donation boxes yielded just £15.

Most campervan owners are brilliant and very welcome however there seems to be a minority at the moment who are threatening to spoil it for everyone.

Saw this earlier, i pulled in at the ski ctr on Friday to walk the dog and have a cuppa before heading further north. 8 vans parked up some on levelling ramps some with awnings out and chairs set up. As stated they are supposed to register prior, personally i would change to register and if pitching for the night make your donation there and then £5 minimum, you are charged as much or more to empty your waste at a camp site. I was at the Slanj at Tarbet a few weeks ago, a motor home pulled up beside us ( we were parked length ways due to size with prior agreement with Tom and Jane) They emptied their van of rubbish in his bins dumped the grey water onto the carpark and did not have the decency to buy a coffee before leaving. 🤡

There are few things I dislike more than 'tight' folks...

Sadly there seem to be more and more of them out there...
I always try to pay my way... And try to see folks right.

Dropped £10 in the RNLI box at Pwllheli when we'd used the showers and loos (lady on desk insisted we didn't need to)
Put £20 in a local community councils box in the back of beyond after a friendly tow, out of a ditch after being forced off the road by another camper)
At very least collect any litter and try to make some positive contribution to wherever I am....

Yet still regularly see blatant exhibitions of people just thinking of themselves....

Maybe things would be far far better in the wild camping world if everyone considered what 'they' can offer RATHER what I can 'get'.

May head back up this weekend with a pin o beer just in case others head up as well.😁

Shame as its one of the places i stay in winter. Great place.

Me too. Great place to watch Mountain Hares and Ptarmigan.

Stayed there many times in winter and been the only one there sometimes in really bad weather. The staff made sure the showers etc were left open for us and we paid in advance.

How refreshing that they have not imposed a blanket ban but instead appealed to our better nature. Sadly I think they will be further disappointed.

Last edited:
A camper van with a lone woman in it parked bumped up the kerb and across the path at my friends cafe in north wales last night , half under her outside covered seating area on the "cafe side" of the pavement.

She opened the cafe this morning unable to put her outside tables and chairs out at 9am, so knocked on the van window, and was responded with the woman just shaking her hand to her mouth as if asking for a brew....my friend asked her to move on. 10 mins later under where the van was parked was a human cow pat wrapped in tissue on the covered food area floor.
Disinfectant and a good scrub was required after cleaning HER mess.

dirty cow

And if she'd done the right thing, parking sensibly, leaving early, without a trace, even calling in for a brew and breakfast....
Nobody would have noticed..
There's be no story, no angry posts on social media..
That's the problem
Only the absolute d!ckheads get any publicity..
Joe public only hears about them...
So that becomes the accepted general impression of all campervanners.

And unfortunately the absolute dickheads won't read the sign or change their behaviour. We have huge carpark near us at Dunwich, free to park but donation to be used by local charities and church suggested. They get a minimal number of donations from the many cars which park there, campervans too but for day only. Such as shame, if everyone put in just 50p it would make a difference!

There are no excuses for any of the above behaviour and it sickens us.
Just wondering if maybe a lot of the motorhome and campervan users are hired rather than owned.
If so I guess that the folk who hire them have zero idea of general curtesy of wild camping nor give a dam so long as they get there two weeks away as after that nothing will bother them anyway.
They seem to think that they've paid a lot of coin to hire the motorhome so now they don't need to pay for anything else.
Somehow the hire companies should explain the situation and the do's and don'ts when hiring out their vans.. Now obviously some wont listen but maybe there are some self respecting folk that will..

Matters not whether they are hired or self-owned.

I think we need to do more self-policing and educating wherever we see this sort of behaviour.

With my big, fat Geordie motormouth I have no fear of having a quiet word, or publicly shaming if it becomes necessary where I find people acting well out of order.

We are letting far too many folk get away with littering the country side with waste of all kinds, and this extends above and beyond just mohos and campervans.

I really wish the 'authorities' of all shades would get their act together and start issuing big fines. Mentioned this several times elsewhere the last few weeks. The laws are already in place and have been for a long time, so its not like any lengthy process is required to get it on the statute books they just need to start using them for real.

Such a pity that joined up thinking, common sense and a lack of will for positive change are such a rare attributes in the public sector.... 😕

I was recently admonished by one member when I suggested a lot see us as freeloaders, well here is one example,and if more evidence were needed, a post last night someone gloating you could take advantage of 2 hours free parking latched on to free overnighting. Such behaviour doesn’t help anyone I.e our reputation nor a local economy.

non of it helps our cause

I was recently admonished by one member when I suggested a lot see us as freeloaders, well here is one example,and if more evidence were needed, a post last night someone gloating you could take advantage of 2 hours free parking latched on to free overnighting. Such behaviour doesn’t help anyone I.e our reputation nor a local economy.

non of it helps our cause

Yeah, I also get the impression from time-to-time that the 'freeloading' tag is probably well justified with certain kinds of campervan owners.

Some of them will be members of this and other forums.

Yes, there are those that are genuinely hard up and need to take every freebie they can get, but there are others who are just out-and-out tight wads and always take the first opportunity to avoid paying for anything at all if they can manage it, regardless of what it is.

That old cliche, give them an inch and they'll take a mile. Not restricted to just moho owners, of course!;) (y) 😜

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back