Rant about Dometic Ovens

QFour

They really are a load of crap. The Carthago did have one until today when it suddenly found itself sitting on the driveway. Why has he taken a brand new oven out of a brand new motorhome you may well ask. It sat below the sink with a drawer above for cutlery. When you used the oven everything above it got very very hot. Who designs these things. How can they make something that is hotter on the outside than the inside. When we realised the damage that was being done we decided to do what the rest of Europe does and don't bother with it. We had a Laika before the Carthago and that had a similar oven on top of the fridge / freezer but it had a exhaust through the roof. The cupboard above it got very hot. At one point it was getting far hotter than usual and I took the back out of the cupboard to have a look. The chimney was stuck to the oven with fire cement and the heating and cooling had turned it into powder. Most of it went up the vacuum cleaner hose.

I had a look on the Internet for alternatives but Dometic are the only company that make one so why should they bother about its performance. They rely on the wooden cabinet cabinet that surrounds it to keep the heat in. I was tempted to try and do something with insulation but where do you start when the basic concept is floored before you begin. Because the unit does not have a flue the hot gasses come out of a vent above the door. You can imagine the heat generated by a 1kw gas burner. Within 10 minutes of lighting it up the back of the casing is to hot to touch. This then spreads to the top of the oven so all it does is just heats everything up.

image001.jpg

You will also notice that by setting the oven back all the heat from the vent just goes upwards and destroys the drawer front. Factory solution is to move the oven forward 15mm. Personally I think my idea is better. We just need a drawer front now to complete the conversion but with Covid we may have to wait a bit for the factory to make one.

I suppose we could have rejected the Motorhome but apart from this it is really great and we are enjoying our times away.

SWMBO has her eyes on a 2 litre Remoska which uses 400w so we could use it off the inverter.

One thing that really gets me is we have two Neff ovens at home that are self cleaning and they get upto 500 degrees on the cleaning cycle and the cupboard they live in hardly gets warm.

Moan over ....

I dont have a big oven in the house so dont see why i would want one in a van,i have a small gas canister unit from go outdoors,yes not ment to use in vans but i do with it well vented,i fitted brackets to the legs and screwed it down.
gas oven.png

Last edited:
We sometimes use our small oven to heat things (sausage rolls croissants etc).
It does these OK
It is fitted above the Fridge and Freezer (heat rises)
We mainly use it to store bread items. The space is not wasted! It gets some use as an oven
Never done a full roast, maybe oven chips (very rarely).

Got to agree with QFour, Dometic ovens are just a tin that generates a lot of heat. I fail to see why they include a temperature control knob as it makes no difference whether it is set at 1 or 6.
The idea of cooking anything meaningful is just a waste of time, pure guess work and the quantity that fits in is for two anorexic people at most.
The steel cutlery drawer handle has to be handled with an oven glove after 15 minutes or so, I am thinking of splitting a silicone sheath and glueing it on. The sheath is actually for sliding onto cast iron or steel pan handles, it's about 8" long by 1.5" wide.

Had the same dometic oven in my previous pvc and agree with all the comments above. Spare parts a rip off as usual, I broke the handle and glued it together after finding out a new one was £30.00 + for a new one.
The oven in my new Pilote is a dometic but a different design, very little heat escapes unlike previous model.
I use mine daily for cooking par baked buns, chips, casseroles, etc, etc. Wouldn’t be without it.

We are thinking about getting a Cathego, and have been considering a grill/oven, more for the grill. Our present van we changed the hob or a hob/grill which works ok, but the Cathego has a curved unit and not sure if the drawer under hob will take a grill? Obanboy, what model oven have you got?

We are thinking about getting a Cathego, and have been considering a grill/oven, more for the grill. Our present van we changed the hob or a hob/grill which works ok, but the Cathego has a curved unit and not sure if the drawer under hob will take a grill? Obanboy, what model oven have you got?
Will have a look later and let you know.

The oven in my new Pilote is a dometic but a different design, very little heat escapes unlike previous model.
I use mine daily for cooking par baked buns, chips, casseroles, etc, etc. Wouldn’t be without it.
Interesting - the oven in our 2020 Pilote P696D is a Thetford, although the hob is Dometic. Seems to be OK other than it was difficult to light when it was first installed.

Apologies, mine is a Thetford Duplex. Probably the same model as GrahamPye has in his Pilote. God knows why I thought it was a Dometic Lol !
As I mentioned earlier it works a treat.

Apologies, mine is a Thetford Duplex. Probably the same model as GrahamPye has in his Pilote. God knows why I thought it was a Dometic Lol !
As I mentioned earlier it works a treat.
Another one for Thetford here. I don't know if it's a Duplex. It has a grill inside the oven and works a treat. I've done a few full roasts in it(1.5hrs) and then the cupboard above gets a bit warm, so I empty the cupboard and leave the cupboard door open. No problem just heating things up at all. Wouldn't be without it.
It was retrofitted to my Globecar in UK as part of the deal.

We have a Carthago 138 . We picked it because we liked the layout and its narrower and shorter than the previous Laika. Disappointed with the oven but not unexpected. The Laika had the same problem.

You will have fun trying to fit a grill under the hob as you rightly say it has a curved front. The grill has to have clear space above it which is impossible as it would be proud of the units. Carthago's answer to my query was to say the will move the oven forward 15mm. They must use a different installation guide to the one in the back of the book. That shows it sitting in a box on its own with a large cavity above the oven.

The grill part is amazing. You open the door and pull out a thin metal plate that has a magnet on it. The door then closes upto the plate and magnet. The plate is there to stop anything above it getting hot. As the plate does not go all the way across the hot air will just go up the sides. Fun comes when it's time to put it away as the seal for the oven door rubs on the thin plate and traps it. Had a look at taking it to bits but some of the self tapping screws are loose already.

Looks like Thetford have the answer with a complete oven as all the heat is contained in a metal box. Thetford have a new oven that goes on top of the Fridge / Freezer. The front lid lifts up to act as a heat shield for the roof. It also has a fan in it for when it gets hot.

Two of my motorhomes had Dometic ovens and both were useless, present van I specified no oven, I'd rather have the extra storage.

When we bought our Burstner ( in France) we had the option of having a Dometic oven fitted in place of one of the
drawers.
We decided against it, cost was a factor( over €1000) but, the last 3 vans we owned had full sized cookers and we rarely used them.
Being vegetarians, there isn’t much we can’t cook now just using the 3 burner hob, saucepans, frying pans and an Omnia oven.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back