Ran out of bread

izwozral

So I made Aunt Kathy's Irish Soda Bread, incredibly easy.

I didn't have any caraway seeds so used cumin seeds instead as both are from the parsley family.

IMG_20200409_200807.jpg
IMG_20200409_200820.jpg

Here trev love those with a couple of fried eggs dynamite. Do you make them yer self.

I remember my mother used to leave a pint of milk to sour in the sunshine and then use it to make bread which was superb.
Not sure if this was 'soda bread' as such but it tasted great. She was from Cork also.

I remember my mother used to leave a pint of milk to sour in the sunshine and then use it to make bread which was superb.
Not sure if this was 'soda bread' as such but it tasted great. She was from Cork also.

I wonder if that is like buttermilk which can be made by adding a little lemon juice to milk, leave to stand for a short while until it starts to curdle?
A lot of soda bread recipes call for buttermilk.

I wonder if that is like buttermilk which can be made by adding a little lemon juice to milk, leave to stand for a short while until it starts to curdle?
I have tried a few times using recipies found on the net to make it but alas while it is OK it's not how I remember. Of course that could be my memory.
Two things I do remember about the milk was:-
1. In summer leave it out to sour to make bread.
2. In winter bring it in quick or else birds would peck through the top and have some cream.

I make my own, add 1tbsp of lemon juice or cider vinegar to 300ml of any kind of milk, dairy or non dairy. Doesn't need to stand as it reacts instantly....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back