Rain X Windsreen repair FOR roof-lites ?

Cant see it being much use as the roof-light has aged and probably become brittle - probably better to actually buy just the dome part if you can get it - but that is what i would do

Thanks..But cannot get a replacement part so Heath Robinson Rules !!
1606548990937.png

The item just behind and above "LUNAR" is curved in both directions and tapered
I have indicated the nature of the crack in blue

Since the Rain-X kit includes some plastic sheets to which the resin won't stick, I suspect it won't work on acrylic rooflights. I suspect you'd be better off with some acrylic 'welding' cement. That said, acrylic slowly 'deplasticises' over time and the best fix would be a new dome -- most (Heki being a noteable exception) aren't that expensive! Also, you don't need to restrict yourself to original equipment provided you can find one to fit the original opening. MPK 400 x 400 complete with flyscreen and blind cost about £65 from the Caravan Shop.

Thanks done that. (drilling Araldite Captain Tolley)
Biggest problem is getting to it to work on.
I believe the unit is watertight just looking to tidy up etc
Hence the Wrapping Idea.
At the moment we are aboard anyway so no action.
Motorhome in storage.
We did get a body shop to look at it but we have not been back to UK to check.
Just thinking of possible solutions/enhancements
Maybe nothing required ?

If you've drilled it and filled the holes I would suggest no further action required if it is not leaking and you can live with it.

The Captain Tolley's should keep it sound - marvellous stuff!

wonder If guys who tint windows could put a film over the whole thing as long as the crack wasn’t going to get bigger that might seal it.

That's a good shout Wully!

It would also hide the repair from the outside to some extent.

Have you spoken to any acrylic/perspex forming company's....

There are plenty out there that take on custom work for display etc....
You can even now buy replacement perspex cockpits for messerschmitt 3 wheelers....

Your panel doesn't look too complicated.
Obviously won't be cheap but should be a permanant repair.?

Thanks for the link
I have done a search and found another.
Iwas thinking boat items as in your link

Have you spoken to any acrylic/perspex forming company's....

There are plenty out there that take on custom work for display etc....
You can even now buy replacement perspex cockpits for messerschmitt 3 wheelers....

Your panel doesn't look too complicated.
Obviously won't be cheap but should be a permanant repair.?
Some time ago I saw a ww2 film clip of an aircraft cockpit canopy being "drape moulded". in perspex or what ever it would have been called then. So just a plaster mould made from the back of it would be the only clever bit required.

One of my Heki rooflights was cracked and crazed when I got it but couldn't get it replaced. As a stopgap I fixed it with Tensol 12 acrylic adhesive and it has been fine for 2 years now.

You could buy a off cut of vinyl wrap (available on ebay) and cover part of that your self how to videos on utube

Bear in mind that any replacement would need to be securely fixed; a few years back there was a recall on some motorhomes because the sunroofs were flying off when the motorhome was in motion. You can imagine the potential for damage and injury to third parties. I believe that in that case, it was related to UV degrading the original adhesive. The manufacturer had repairs effected both by the dealer network and by a windscreen replacement company (who used their coach windscreen replacement teams - 2 men, each with a van - as they had the necessary expertise and access equipment).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back