Queensferry crossing closed

By the time they have designed the software to take into account every variable of British weather on every strand of every structure, we'll all be using time machines to get around.

Rain and wind hitting freezing cold structure is bound too form ice. What they need is an electrical de-icing system or just connect the steel work to the National Grid. That should warm it up a bit. Feel sorry for the people who rely on the bridge to get to work. We have one of the main bridges over the Trent closed at the moment ( A52 ) and it is causing havoc. Looks like water has got to the steel reinforcing and blown the concrete off.

Would that different ice and snow mentioned by Antiquesam, be the same sort that affects British Rail?

Had to drive to Preston today from Aberdeenshire. Queensferry closed and M74 blocked due to lorry shedding timber after an accident. Also very heavy snow around Beatock. But we managed it in just over 6 hours and the Tesla performed like a dream!

Took us 3 1/2 hours to get to St. Andrews today normally a 1 1/2 journey. :mad:

l presume you live south of the Central belt? I heard the queues for the Queensferry alternatives were horrendous. My favourite routing to Preston from home is Edinburgh and the A701 Devils Beeftub road but because of the queues we went Glasgow instead.

After flying in to Trondheim in Norway on Saturday, even though its sub zero and been snowing heavily, its a drive to Opdall, then huskies up a mountain to photograph wildlife. Ill make a guess the planes will land fine, even in snow, the airport transfer will work, cars drive ok in snow, Internet connection will be fine even in the mountains, etc etc. Meanwhile back in the UK.......................

We lived in Norway for 5 years and the roads were never cleared so we drove on hard packed snow. But for insurance purposes we ran on studded winter tyres from October to April. Studded tyres on hard packed snow is as good as running on dry tarmac apart from the fact the cars are covered in shredded tarmac which had to be cleaned off every April!

Had to drive to Preston today from Aberdeenshire. Queensferry closed and M74 blocked due to lorry shedding timber after an accident. Also very heavy snow around Beatock. But we managed it in just over 6 hours and the Tesla performed like a dream!

I set out on monday to drive from Penwortham to Leyland and only got about 1/2 mile down the bypass to the traffic lights at Chainhouse Lane.

It was gridlocked and then took nearly an hour to then get home again.

l presume you live south of the Central belt? I heard the queues for the Queensferry alternatives were horrendous. My favourite routing to Preston from home is Edinburgh and the A701 Devils Beeftub road but because of the queues we went Glasgow instead.
No I was traveling from north of Glasgow

They said that about the M62.

Yes the "all weather motorway".

As for bridges, a couple of Wiki links that make fascinating reading for those interested in heroic engineering:

Can we still do this sort of great stuff ?

Rail bridge (started 1882, completed in just seven years, still going strong and likely to continue):

Road bridge (the spec. was for a design life of 25 years, well it has exceeded that by far, but wearing out):

I wonder how well the newer one will hold up ?

Not when one is queuing due to inclement weather, which we do get often.

Anyways, take out shares with AMEY, they are making a fortune from us tax paying mugs.

Runnach it was a joke,
I was stuck in traffic heading for St. Andrews, I was one of those Queuing

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back