Problems with fuel filter.

brugge

Free Member
I have a ford transit based motorhome, when l am driving along l keep getting the warning light appearing for " water in the fuel ". I have drained the filter a couple of times, the light go's out but comes on again when driving. I also have the same problem when I fill right up for a trip. Do I need to replace the filter ?

I had that with diesel. Was advise that tank and lines needed emptying & thoroughly cleaning. This necessitate removing the tank. So far so good.

I had two filters replaced within a few months. The engine went into limp mode very dangerous on a busy motorway. New filters do nothing for the water in the fuel tank.

My son had a mk 8 transit it was for ever bringing this light on it went through. Fuel filters very often so much so he kept a spare in the van as a change of filter was the only fix
ive got a mk7 2*2 never had any bother but I do have a filter spare in case

Last edited:
There are additives which remove water from derv,many boat owners use it as boats stand and sweat if there tanks are not filled to the top,fuel set springs to mind,mercury/mariner/tohatsu outboards do a drying additive to.

The diesel sits on top of the water thats in the tank. When you drive about it mixes with the diesel. All taking the tank out did was remove the water. Try syphoning the fuel out from the bottom of the tank or empty the tank. When you have got rid of the water out of the tank and out of the filter you should be ok. The boat we had used to have a fuel separator and the water would collect in the bottom. Every few weeks I pushed a little plunger and a dribble of water ran out.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your replies, in the manuel it says open the drain plug on the filter to remove water, which l have tried a few times, it seems to work for a while but then the warning light comes on again. It has never affected the way it drives its just annoying driving along with the light on, also l dont know if l am damaging anything.

Many thanks for your replies, in the manuel it says open the drain plug on the filter to remove water, which l have tried a few times, it seems to work for a while but then the warning light comes on again. It has never affected the way it drives its just annoying driving along with the light on, also l dont know if l am damaging anything.
There could be loads of water in the tank,was it ok up to last refill or did you leave it standing a long time with the tank not filled to the top as you should.
Years back i filled at local station in my petrol car,got about 25 miles and it started to go like a dog,took about 3 ltrs of water out before it went well again,it were a long trip that day from Glengormley to Londonderry/Derry or as we call it here stroke city.

Water will usually collect in the bottom of the fuel filter housing. To drain, open the drain tap beneath the filter this will not damage anything, just be sure to tighten it back up after the water has been drained. There may be some wires going to a sender unit in the same area, this will probably be the sender unit you are looking for...

thanks again for your replies, l generally fill up for a trip but then leave it empty when l get back, l have found the bit with the wires leading to it, do l do anything with that?

thanks again for your replies, l generally fill up for a trip but then leave it empty when l get back, l have found the bit with the wires leading to it, do l do anything with that?

Could be you are getting condensation in the tank. You are better off leaving it full then there is no room for condensation to form. Our boat was the same always leave the tank full.

When I was in plant hire, we always filled up at the end of the shift. Working hard all day the fuel gets hot & when when it cools down it forms condensation. Better kept full if you can, especially if parked up for a while....

many thanks, l will go with your advices, fill the tank up, as l do normally leave it empty until I am going away again.

Water will usually collect in the bottom of the fuel filter housing. To drain, open the drain tap beneath the filter this will not damage anything, just be sure to tighten it back up after the water has been drained. There may be some wires going to a sender unit in the same area, this will probably be the sender unit you are looking for...

I used to drain my fuel filter into a glass jam jar, glass to see the water :)

Harrow beat me to it, when you drain or change your filter save all the diesel and have a look, do you have globes of water in the bottom, the sender is usually in the bottom of the fuel filter, (but I don't know what transits are like), If not it could be a false signal. If you have water then check for any way this can get into your tank, bad seal on the filler cap, bad gasket on the sender or you picked up contaminated fuel from somewhere, (i.e if you had been buying containers of fuel off someone). Drain your tank to completely to get the water out. I cannot see condensation being the cause, as the diesel will always be at ambient temperature unless the exhaust runs close to the tank and warms the diesel up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back