Problem getting Gas

Kenj

Free Member
Aldi have single gas rings At £9.99 and gas for them they also have gas ring and grill at about £40 don't think you can use them in doors I am taking one with me just in case we run out of Calor gas

Aldi have single gas rings At £9.99 and gas for them they also have gas ring and grill at about £40 don't think you can use them in doors I am taking one with me just in case we run out of Calor gas
The little rings with the Gas Cartidges are always handy to have as a backup option and of course provide a quick and easy way to cook outside as well :)

The little rings with the Gas Cartidges are always handy to have as a backup option and of course provide a quick and easy way to cook outside as well :)
Yes i have one just in case, but be careful as many are fake and have been known to expload, buy of a rep shop.
My small cooker is also a cartridge unit from go outdoors, Discounted to £90.
gas oven.png

They are indeed superb David. Such a shame they are too large to carry on my motorcycle for camping but I have an excellent stove for that as well.

In an emergency though, I would quite happily resort to using my woodgas stove. Very compact and works like a dream.

They are indeed superb David. Such a shame they are too large to carry on my motorcycle for camping but I have an excellent stove for that as well.

In an emergency though, I would quite happily resort to using my woodgas stove. Very compact and works like a dream.
Have you tried those tiny stoves which you feed tinder into? Can't remember the name but they look good :)

Have you tried those tiny stoves which you feed tinder into? Can't remember the name but they look good :)

This is similar to my Woodgas stove;

They can use anything from just a few twigs for a quick brew, tinder, wood pellets or even Pine Cones.

I also have one of these;

This is similar to my Woodgas stove;

They can use anything from just a few twigs for a quick brew, tinder, wood pellets or even Pine Cones.

I also have one of these;

Are Pinecones good for burning? We have a tree in the garden that sheds masses of them. Could collect them up and dry them instead of throwing away.

Are Pinecones good for burning? We have a tree in the garden that sheds masses of them. Could collect them up and dry them instead of throwing away.

They're ok in the woodgas stove and of course a plentiful free fuel. I have a sack full which my daughter collected for me so I just take a small bag full when necessary.

I'm not sure how they would be in a flued stove as I don't know how resinous they are (in terms of clagging up the flue). Certainly worth experimenting with them though especially if you are drying them.

The latter part of this video shows them in use;

Not had a wood burner yet but friends with them won’t use pinecones. They may use an odd one to light up but not as proper fuel. Don’t know how bad/quickly they block up the flu, Nigel probably knows for sure if okay 👍

Some more info here;

They're ok in the woodgas stove and of course a plentiful free fuel. I have a sack full which my daughter collected for me so I just take a small bag full when necessary.

I'm not sure how they would be in a flued stove as I don't know how resinous they are (in terms of clagging up the flue). Certainly worth experimenting with them though especially if you are drying them.

The latter part of this video shows them in use;

I'd maybe use them in the Frontier Stove, so more of a chimney than a flue in that case (and very easy to clean if ever needed). Could be handy as tinder going by the video as catch very well :)

I'd maybe use them in the Frontier Stove, so more of a chimney than a flue in that case (and very easy to clean if ever needed). Could be handy as tinder going by the video as catch very well :)

Yes I too have a frontier stove, must try pine cones even if only as a starter.

I've told Julie to save any old candle stubs so I can melt them down and dip some cones in the wax as an accelerant. We also have silver birch trees in the garden and the bark is an excellent starter as I'm sure you are aware.

If it was left to me (which of course it never will be), I could really go back to basics and not need gas at all. The woodgas stove is very efficient and I have a cast iron grill to sit over it for cooking.

I also have a 7 litre Paul Kirtley campfire kettle which would serve my hot water needs.

If only...

Wonder why so many with stoves have said they didn’t want them, could just be urban myths I guess with them. That link makes me think they are good to gather 👍

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't burn fir cones because they give off toxic fumes - I read that about a week after we'd been using them on a firepit whilst camping at Cannock Chase.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back