Probably last time I use a main dealer for anything except buying a new vehicle

EarthDemon

All this for a smashed bit of plastic -

Quote for backlight replacement at a certain well know motorhome centre on the south coast (details upon request) £1100 - due to complicated work blah blah

Job done in west country town including brand new Fiat spare parts - £270.

The main dealers were telling porkies when they said it was going to be 8 hours of labour.

How could they not know after being in biz all these years?

I'm not bitter 👺

We all suffer the same way. Main Dealers seem to think that they are entitled to take as much money as they can every time we visit them. It would not be so bad if they employed skilled people but you get the impression that anyone who is happy to work for minimum wage on a zero hours contract will do. I am lucky that I have the time and tools to do most repairs. Certainly would not want to be in the position of having to pay for some of the minor repairs that need doing. I do take the MH to a Fiat Professional Garage for servicing and they seem to do a good job. Because I don't go elsewhere they have fitted me in on a couple of occasions and always seem to go the extra mile even letting me sit with their electronics guy while we tried to sort out the flashing mileometer.

What about this thread. Took five and a half months to get a new MH fixed and the owner is delighted with the service he received ..

Here

Possibly the same place wanted £2000 for a new door when the electronic printed circuit got a dry joint, managed to do it in situ with my 12v soldering iron in less time than It did for them to give me a price for a new door 😄

I got a backlight for my Dethleffs of eBay for £35.00 after being quoted £115.00 from a dealer :(

Regards,
Del

I once had a job in a main dealers but left caus they did not pay me enough of the robbed/sorry takings. :unsure:

I took my sons 2011 BMW 3i8i in for a diagnostic check as the oil light was coming on intermittently and they replaced camchain and guides under warranty. If I had took it to Joe Bloggs and not the main dealer it could have cost thousands. Not all main dealers are robbing bar stewards.

What about this thread. Took five and a half months to get a new MH fixed and the owner is delighted with the service he received ..

Here

The dealer didn’t take over 5 months to fix our Motorhome.
And I am delighted with what the dealer did for us.
:p:p

Not all are robbers, they are just incompetent.

I had a fridge problem and to the best of my knowledge the fridge had never been serviced, so I took it to the local dealer that I bought the van from because they are 'Dometic trained'. They phoned me promptly to say they needed to change a part and gave me a price, which I agreed to. Then I heard nothing, so I rang them up a week later to be told I need a new fridge. The cost, including fitting, would be £2,350. I declined and picked up the van and brought it home. I had to refit the screws that hold the fridge in place and it took me 10 minutes to find an electrical fault on the AES auto selection circuit board (which is easily got round by turning the knob manually to gas). I cleaned the flue and burner jet which also improved matters. About 18 months later the fridge gave a problem so I fitted a new gas burner and jet and it has been good ever since. The original repair by me cost £0, the new gas burner and jet cost £70.

Not all are robbers, they are just incompetent.

I had a fridge problem and to the best of my knowledge the fridge had never been serviced, so I took it to the local dealer that I bought the van from because they are 'Dometic trained'. They phoned me promptly to say they needed to change a part and gave me a price, which I agreed to. Then I heard nothing, so I rang them up a week later to be told I need a new fridge. The cost, including fitting, would be £2,350. I declined and picked up the van and brought it home. I had to refit the screws that hold the fridge in place and it took me 10 minutes to find an electrical fault on the AES auto selection circuit board (which is easily got round by turning the knob manually to gas). I cleaned the flue and burner jet which also improved matters. About 18 months later the fridge gave a problem so I fitted a new gas burner and jet and it has been good ever since. The original repair by me cost £0, the new gas burner and jet cost £70.

With your knowledge and skill set, I am surprised that you went to anyone in the first place maingaite.

I prefer people I know or who have been recommended to me to do work for me.
i recently had a second battery installed by someone who did a great job.
I was going to do it myself, but after watching him I am glad he did it instead.
I got a quote from an approved workshop, £350 for the battery plus labour and materials. I bought the varta equivelent to what was already installed for £160 from alpha batteries and got him to do the job instead.
But you have to be careful if your vehicle in under warranty when having any work done.

We bought our (new to us) Burstner from Perthshire Caravans and they have been excellent. On the day we picked up the van they showered us with freebies including the dvd/tv. We had a number of faults which usage picked up and they sorted them all out with no quibbles at all.

The bottom line is always would you use them again? Our answer would be for sure. No problem.

B2

With your knowledge and skill set, I am surprised that you went to anyone in the first place maingaite.

I prefer people I know or who have been recommended to me to do work for me.
i recently had a second battery installed by someone who did a great job.
I was going to do it myself, but after watching him I am glad he did it instead.
I got a quote from an approved workshop, £350 for the battery plus labour and materials. I bought the varta equivelent to what was already installed for £160 from alpha batteries and got him to do the job instead.
But you have to be careful if your vehicle in under warranty when having any work done.

Ah but I am not 'Dometic trained'. 😞

I figured the fault would be a piece of p**s for them to sort out and they would give it a good going over and service because they are 'Dometic trained'. I don't think the useless gits are potty trained, never mind Dometic trained. I was looking for peace of mind, instead I got mindless nitwits. :rolleyes:

Ah but I am not 'Dometic trained'. 😞

I figured the fault would be a piece of p**s for them to sort out and they would give it a good going over and service because they are 'Dometic trained'. I don't think the useless gits are potty trained, never mind Dometic trained. I was looking for peace of mind, instead I got mindless nitwits. :rolleyes:

You did well fixing it yourself maingate, you saved money, that must have felt great, but you got great satisfaction surely from repairing the fridge yourself. I now know where to go if I have a fridge issue :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back