Pound Euro exchange rate today.

vindiboy

I bought Euros today from John Lewis in Southampton, 1.15 Euros for a pound very good I thought other outlets in Southampton were only offering 1.12 for a Pound ., and with them that was for £500 exchange, John Lewis had no restrictions , same rate for £1 or more , my phone app says the exchange rate today is 1.1673 euros for a pound so 1.15 seemed great to me ? one step closer to the off now, Ferries seem expensive this time , on line yesterday I saw one way Dover Calais 2 Adults and 6,-5 metre van 3 metres high was £85 to £76 .P n O and DFDS to Dunkerque, will try the CCC later for a ticket next week>

thats an interesting rate. i bought euros in september at 1.05. 4 years ago it was 1.40 .......

Don't forget DFDS Newhaven / Dieppe and 20% discount for old farts.
Saves over 2 hrs drive each way if going via Rouen
After reading your post I looked at Newhaven /Dieppe route on line search came up with £86.50 day sailing, sailing with AFerry . so if I contacted Newhaven direct it would be cheaper BUT I live in Southampton and The drive to Newhaven is worse than the drive to Dover I think, I have done Newhaven in the past and do not want to be on a ferry for 4 hours plus , I could go from Portsmouth but that is even longer boat trip, 7 hours last time , if memory serves me right so it is usually Dover Calais for us with a few days at Canterbury P n R which we enjoy as we like Canterbury , Folkestone, Margate etc and travel there on the busses [ love the bus pass ] we have lots of time so we can just poodle along, it will take us about 10 days to get to Northern Portugal from Calais, longer if the weather in France is reasonable,The ferry tickets from the CCC is always cheaper than booking on line as the club block buys or so they tell me, one has to pay whatever it costs in the end so hey ho that's life.

Halifax Clarity Card gave me 1.173 nett, this morning.
Always press the .. Reject the Guaranteed exchange rate..
Button.
98% of our spending when foreign is done using my Nationwide CREDIT card as there is no charge to use it in Europe and the bill is paid in full each month , so no interest either, the exchange rate is always great, but we do like to have cash in our pockets for incidentals like drinks and snacks in bars, buying things at markets etc where they do no want to take cards, I
getting Euros before we leave saves the charges cards incur if taking cash from ATMs, , our contactless cards worked well in France and Spain earlier this year too.

NEWHAVEN DIEPPE TRIP.

Attachments

• FRANCE 081 036.jpg
    FRANCE 081 036.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 79
  • FRANCE 081 037.jpg
    FRANCE 081 037.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 84
  • FRANCE 081 038.jpg
    FRANCE 081 038.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 86
  • FRANCE 081 039.jpg
    FRANCE 081 039.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 80
  • FRANCE 081 040.jpg
    FRANCE 081 040.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 104
  • FRANCE 081 042.jpg
    FRANCE 081 042.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 80
  • FRANCE 0811 048.jpg
    FRANCE 0811 048.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 85
  • FRANCE 0811 050.jpg
    FRANCE 0811 050.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 82
  • FRANCE 0811 052.jpg
    FRANCE 0811 052.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 108
  • FRANCE 0811 053.jpg
    FRANCE 0811 053.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 89
MORE

Attachments

• FRANCE 0811 054.jpg
    FRANCE 0811 054.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 74
  • FRANCE 0811 055.jpg
    FRANCE 0811 055.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 88
  • FRANCE 0811 056.jpg
    FRANCE 0811 056.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 102
  • FRANCE 0811 063.jpg
    FRANCE 0811 063.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 89
  • FRANCE 0811 068.jpg
    FRANCE 0811 068.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 82
i used my halifax clarity credit card to buy euros and got charged £11.70 bank charges...... this was a legitimate charge, apparently, because purchase of currency incurs charges, whereas purchase of goods and services does not .... "its in the small print madam" .......

I have found that CCC will not only price match but also beat any online price. I've used it with Stena when they have a 20% discount for regular travelling and they have always beaten it and offered a variable ticket free. It is however easier to book with the ferry directly if you want to change the ticket when the CCC offices are closed, Saturday sailing for Sunday or similar.

i used my halifax clarity credit card to buy euros and got charged £11.70 bank charges...... this was a legitimate charge, apparently, because purchase of currency incurs charges, whereas purchase of goods and services does not .... "its in the small print madam" .......

Halifax Clarity cards allow you to draw cash without charge other than interest incurred to the next statement date.

I don't understand why you were charged.

98% of our spending when foreign is done using my Nationwide CREDIT card as there is no charge to use it in Europe and the bill is paid in full each month , so no interest either, the exchange rate is always great, but we do like to have cash in our pockets for incidentals like drinks and snacks in bars, buying things at markets etc where they do no want to take cards, I
getting Euros before we leave saves the charges cards incur if taking cash from ATMs, , our contactless cards worked well in France and Spain earlier this year too.

We use the Clarity Card not only for purchases but also for drawing cash out of ATMs. If you pay off the transaction within 48 hours there is no charge, so for the best rates, try using your card and paying it off straight away.

I bought Euros today from John Lewis in Southampton, 1.15 Euros for a pound very good I thought other outlets in Southampton were only offering 1.12 for a Pound ., and with them that was for £500 exchange, John Lewis had no restrictions , same rate for £1 or more , my phone app says the exchange rate today is 1.1673 euros for a pound so 1.15 seemed great to me ? one step closer to the off now, Ferries seem expensive this time , on line yesterday I saw one way Dover Calais 2 Adults and 6,-5 metre van 3 metres high was £85 to £76 .P n O and DFDS to Dunkerque, will try the CCC later for a ticket next week>
Hi, Can I suggest you apply for a Monzo card? It is free. You preload it with sterling then when abroad you can pay in most places with the card and get the official bank rate 1.167.
The only restriction is you can only draw out £200per month in a foreign cash machine, after that you pay 3% on further transactions. But that still works out better than using your ordinary bank card.
This has saved me loads of cash over the last year while traveling. It's also great if you need to transfer money to a foreign payee, then it costs about £3.75 and then you get the middle bank rate of the day. Also all transactions show on your phone immediately.
Give it a try, I was amazed.
Andrew Rogers

Even more efficient is the Starling debit card. Perfect exchange rate, interest paid on balance, card can be turned on and off in various combinations of atm, card present or internet purchases. No limit to withdrawals of cash other than the normal £300 daily limit.

I preload my card periodically further limiting potential losses.

The clincher is that it also has a Euro account attached to the same debit card. Preload euros when the rate is good at the near perfect exchange rate. Only cost is 40p per £100, flat rate. You then use the card as normal in the Euro zone and the card automatically draws from the Euro account and only will draw from the sterling account (without penalty) if insufficient euros are in your account. I reckon this will also protect you against the atm scam of offering dynamic exchanges.

Worth having a look at their website.

Davy

• Thank You
Reactions: R0B
Has anybody taken their dogs to France on the Deipe ferry and if so how did the dogs travel.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back