Positive Report on Highlands Plans

Reasonable article, I thought, not laying all the blame on motorhome users.

BTW, I'm OK with Welsh, but how do you pronounce "airidh"?

£200,000 being allocated to improve waste facilities for motorhomes and re-open public toilets due to the amount of visitors to the Highlands last year.

Might have been better if they hadn't shut the toilets or relied on communities to operate them in the first place!

I know some people are feeling a bit doom and gloom and that wildcamping might have had its heyday, but....

Being a glass half full person, I think it's great news that the pandemic is having a longer term positive impact.

And no small thanks to the folk who've got themselves involved in the Campra campaign for aire solutions over the last year or so.
They've been doing a lot of work behind the scenes in trying to influence any approach taken by local councils, thanks guys (y)

I love the idea of using the gaelic name for an aire!
Well done (some!) Scottish councils, hats off for starting the ball rolling (y)

£200,000 being allocated to improve waste facilities for motorhomes and re-open public toilets due to the amount of visitors to the Highlands last year.

Might have been better if they hadn't shut the toilets or relied on communities to operate them in the first place!

It was a pandemic, plenty of panicking going on and same right across the country, not just tourist hotspots.
Definitely an unprecedented situation in our/my lifetime - so, "hindsight" and all that?

Besides, councils are not usually noted for being superfast to react to situations with common sense in normal times, let alone a global emergency! 😂 ;)

It was a pandemic, plenty of panicking going on and same right across the country, not just tourist hotspots.
Definitely an unprecedented situation in our/my lifetime - so, "hindsight" and all that?

Besides, councils are not usually noted for being superfast to react to situations with common sense in normal times, let alone a global emergency! 😂 ;)
Sadly so. We’ve been banging on at councils since last year warning of the need to plan for this years Staycation...sadly most still have heads firmly buried in the sand, some are starting to listen now it’s almost upon us, and whilst some have been actively planning it’s still going to be a case of too little too late.

Another bit of bureaucratic nonsense. A lot of councils like some in Cumbria have started encouraging small businesses like pubs to host motorhomes. They hoped they could get certified as CLs. Natural England who administer the Certication process by exempting clubs to issue certificates have buggered it all up. The clubs originally were supposed to be able to certify sites and then notify NE and planners afterwards. Now NE is insisting on them submitting to NE and planners first for pre-approval, totally negating the object of avoiding unnecessary red tape and councils and gov wasting resources on trivial applications for small sites. And guess what? Now that there is a great stampede to get sites certified before the Staycation starts NE have no resources to look at anything having diverted their staff to Brexit and Covid: result bureaucratic gridlock.
Oh this blessed Isle!

try hill 23 in this list, beinn airigh charr - where airigh is a sheiling.
(it's a difficult language, kudos for trying)

My mother could speak gaelic (Southern Irish).
Once shocked a bunch of Irish navvies laying some tarmac (for the council, as it happens!)
She was a postie and on her regular postal round (North East of England).
Greeted them in gaelic, something along the lines of "Good morning lads, how you doing? Lovely morning for the time of year..." etc.:)

Unfortunately she never taught me.
I suppose she thought there was no need and she never spoke it at home (Dad was a Geordie) :(

Yes it’s great that highland region are doing what others should be doing, but sadly most are not, and I doubt if what highland are doing is sufficient even for their efforts. I keep saying this, so apologies in advance.
What we need is a change in attitude towards us from people who perceive us a problem, or in some cases even worse. When you look at what we are asking for, the right to park in carparks that our taxes have paid for. Yes we may wish to remain through night when the carpark is empty, is there really a problem there. I don’t reckon so, but sadly therein lies the problem. We don’t need vast sums spent on us, just to be treated with civility instead of hostility. If highland council were to look carefully they would surely see were the real problem lies.
When narrow minds focus they perceive problems that simply don’t exist. And sadly they tend to be the same types who get involved in local politics. Ignorance is our enemy here. And yes there are some amongst us who do us harm, and there will always be that minority. But then all groups in other activities have the same types, but they are rarely if ever dealt with the way we are.

The H being after the D changes the D to a V. Its called Lination. An example of this is the word for big. In the masculine case it is MOR ( as in Iain Mor) Pronounced similar to the English word more. In the female case its MHOR ( As in Marie Mhor) Pronounced as VOR. No English equivalent.
No need to thank me - you were asking.

Dh after the ‘i’ renders it silent. Before a, o or u it is pronounced as a ‘g’, if it’s before e or i it is sounded as a ‘y’ as in ‘yours’.

However just as there are different English dialects, there are different Gaelic dialects. I have also heard it pronounced ‘airid’ - as runnach said. 😌

Last edited:
And guess what? Now that there is a great stampede to get sites certified before the Staycation starts NE have no resources to look at anything having diverted their staff to Brexit and Covid: result bureaucratic gridlock.
Oh this blessed Isle!

Even pre Covid NE was a mess.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back