Plan B extra solar panels inside the front windscreen

Derekoak

Panels on the bonnet have their problems. So it was suggested that panels on the windscreen was an alternative. I would prefer them to be inside the windscreen. Molly 2 said she had a flat permanent panel and a portable panel and the portable had the greater output. I assume because it would be tilted and facing the sun more. So my plan would be like that. In the summer my 160 watt on the roof should be fine. At other seasons take portable panels, put them inside the windscreen, which is at a steeper angle and as we do now face the car about south during the day. We tend to leave the car most days and go walking or running, so I am not happy leaving panels loose outside.
My questions are:
Will 160 watt flat panels work together with say 100 watt of more steeply angled panels both into the solar input of my ring rscdc 30. Do both panels produce the same voltage and just add the ampage? Or do I need 2 solar controllers?
There is a loss of energy with a solar panel behind glass due to lost non visible energy wavelengths. is it small or significant? Estimates I have read are around 13% loss due to uv and reflection.

Last edited:
One control unit will do if it can cover the total input, all you require is a plug in socket connected directly to the regulator input where your fixed one goes.
Have you got a mppt type.
solar duel a.png

I'd say considering the lack of solar harvesting in the darker months...

The low height of the panels

AND losses from being being glass...

It's really really not worth the bother.

I think those of us with photochromatic glasses which dont go dark in a car would know that it isnt going to work :cool:

Have to say if your struggling with space you need to think outside the box - and there are options but you have to work out what is best - personally i'd try and run another panel alongside the one you have similar to the suitcase ones you can buy/make with a support so it could just be opened up

I saw a Merc van with a roof rack with 2 solar panels mounted on it and 2 more under them which could be slid out both sides either could be tilted up or down if it helped direct them towards the sun or left flat

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back