Pennine Way from Edale

Gnomus

Following on from my earlier threads, this is one Ive actually done using the motorhome as a base. For me this is a long way South and why I wanted to use the Motorhome as a base. I parked up near the end which is Torside. I found a car park in Hadfield, this is not on the POI, but which is an easy walk along a level track following a disused railway line, a couple of miles or so. I could have used a POI and traveled to the car park at Torside for the day, overnighting is not allowed there. Wish I had as Hadfield is too noisy due to proximity to the flight path to Manchest airport. It was such a bad nights sleep that I cannot reccomend it as a POI but if your interested its a car park off the main street, to the left going up the hill towards thetrain station not the one on the right just off the street. Its small so spaces may not always be there. Wish I could reccomend it as I liked the town, good rail links to Manchester and from there to anywhere, in this case Edale. also decent pub and eateries. I commented elsewhere that it reminded me of Royston Vasey and apparantly thats because it is. The plan worked, train to Edale walk back to Hadfiedld, great day. Bit tough from Snake Pass Road as its very rocky underfoot. The following night used a poi on the moors and that was fine. The next day weather was foul and forecast thunder which in my book is the wrong weather for being on an exposed fell particularly one you dont know, so will return next week to do do 2 or 3 more days. The plan is to overnight on the moors, early drive to Torside car park. Walk to Standedge as thats on a bus route to Oldham, find my way to Manchester and train to Hadfield, walk the track to pick up the van at Torside. Back to the moors then park up at the end somewhere near Hebden Bridge possibly not in the town as parking there is tight but its a great spot for a pint. Then find a way back to the bus to Standedge. Its on the route from Huddersfield so despite not yet planning it, cannot see why there should be a problem. The next stage will be something similar, the stage ends not too far from the Timothy Taylor brewery at Keighley so whe I detail that plan it will involve not driving the next day. Futher north looks problematic but will worry about that later. Will feedback next week when ive actually done the Torside to Hebden Bridge or maybe even near Keighley bits.

Did you take in any of the ww2 air crash sites up on the tops?

It's littered with them up there (I've spent many many hours wandering about up there exploring them as it's only a short drive from where I live in Ashton Under Lyne.)

Overnighting around Hadfield etc can be difficult as a lot of the spots I would usually consider suitable are frequented by the local NED population sadly.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back