Peanut shaped roundabout!

TeamRienza

We all know that France has the most roundabouts in the world, boring, so now they are livening things up with a €720,000 peanut shaped roundabout. https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/French-drivers-welcome-new-safer-peanut-and-bean-shaped-roundabout-in-north-east-France No consideration for those who have a nut allergy! Davy
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

Sharpie

Well I used to use this horrid thing regularly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon) I think the French fell in love with roundabouts because of their nonsensical "priorite a droite" system at junctions.

mjvw

We had a Throughabout in our area, it was so unpopular and caused so much congestion they are now ripping it up, however it looks like Middlesbrough is going to get one. Big mistake and most of cost a fortune. https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/darlington/17983205.darlington-ditching-throughabout-middlesbrough-gaining-one/

Last edited:

trevskoda

WE have a massive one just half mile from my home,every day a smash on it cause the numties dont read the overhead promts and in wrong lanes just cut across 3 lanes.

Okta

Perhaps someone has at last realised that mini roundabouts don’t work. At busy times everyone has to give way to someone else and then when you eventually decide who is going first you can only use it one at a time. Designed to create congestion. This peanut thing shows a bit of imagination, it might even be designed to keep traffic flowing.

Asterix

Strangest intersection I've seen is a diverging diamond... https://drivetribe.com/p/are-diverging-diamond-interchanges-P0a19ICvSuCZha-Pfv1wcQ

Trotter

Anyone remember the magic roundabout in Hemel Hempstead? i wikied it. It’s the Plough Roundabout, still there . The cause of many an hour of fun and ribald interchanges. Also the first meeting of Nik and me. Petrol garage on the hill.😍

Okta

Anyone remember the magic roundabout in Hemel Hempstead? i wikied it. It’s the Plough Roundabout, still there . The cause of many an hour of fun and ribald interchanges. Also the first meeting of Nik and me. Petrol garage on the hill.😍 Yes I remember it well. I think this was the first of the “magic roundabouts”. Can anyone come up with an earlier one?

winks

Not too fussed about the shape of the things. I just wish there was a national 20mph limit on them and they weren’t planted up with things like Pampas grass. Cheers H

st3v3

Yes I remember it well. I think this was the first of the “magic roundabouts”. Can anyone come up with an earlier one? Swindon.

Sharpie

Swindon. Indeed, as I said before, a most horrible thing. Boing said Zebedee, time for bed. As voiced by Eric Thompson (Emma's father). So we did at 6PM as I recall.

mjvw

Not too fussed about the shape of the things. I just wish there was a national 20mph limit on them and they weren’t planted up with things like Pampas grass. Cheers H Someone once told me they put features grasses trees etc on roundabouts to slow people down on approach because if the driver/rider has a good zone of vision across or around the roundabout they are more likely to drive/ride faster into the roundabout not sure if this statement is true but it would make sense?

colinmd

Someone once told me they put features grasses trees etc on roundabouts to slow people down on approach because if the driver/rider has a good zone of vision across or around the roundabout they are more likely to drive/ride faster into the roundabout not sure if this statement is true but it would make sense? That was the reasoning a council around here gave on some new roundabouts, after numerous accidents they eventually cleared the srubbery to give clear sightlines.