Panel Van Conversions, Pro's and Con's

grath

I must say, If it wasn't for the medical, I would never have got rid of our large 4500kg van
fullsizeoutput_2a4.jpeg

REC

Trouble is, with life we have to consider what we need as well as what we want! Love big vans but driving it, getting where we want to be, parking etc as we get older made us decide smaller was better, for us. Would have had to give a bigger van up almost immediately due to Dave's health...so worked out in the end. The advantage you have, Grath, is that having been doing this for a while, you have clear ideas about what you really need...like the shower! The rubbish quality new van we bought between conversions, was what we thought we really needed but it helped us crystallise our ideas about what we did not need!

Fisherman

In Stock again. the first batch are being dispatched this coming week (I've got two arriving with me on Wednesday). I think this first batch is sold out but I think the next lot will be 'general release' and shipping by the end of the month.

The Bad News .... Discount doesn't apply (they are still good value though at the new regular price)

I assume in future the discount will be applied then David.
Lithium batteries are getting cheaper every year.
Soon all mohos will be fitted with them as standard.

exwindsurfer

Probably better off with the SWB versions of the Master, Sprinter etc. So much more room inside than a Transporter with a similar footprint.

Transporters are very sweet to drive though, and I think you get away with cheaper tolls in France too.
They are way to small for me Mark but they are a nice van

barryd

Can't agree at all Barry
If you are not turning the front seats they are a complete waste of space when parked up and you miss the view.
Regarding looking into others vans, just turn around, easy as that and another advantage is if you go for a European van you will get the door on the correct side for Europe, it works much better and easier tofu in.
Again I need to say, we could get our scooter out from the garage very nearly as quick as from the rear rack. It just needs a routine and quick release fittings. None of these straps over the handlebars and around the springs .
We used just one strap, same as when on the rack. Easy peasy!
It just needs thinking about and you will have a much greater choice of suitable vans.
Works for Johny Forigner (y)

Nothing will convince me otherwise. Vans with a garage and only half the usable space just feel claustrophobic to me plus I dont want the kitchen in the same area as my lounge. As for the rack. Ive yet to see any set up and especially a garage set up as quick and easy as the original Armitage scooter rack. Literally on or off in less than a minute. There are no straps to put over the handlebars or springs. Just one bar to drop down over the seat and one strap through the front wheel and thats it. Ive seen people mess on for half an hour with a trailer or getting the thing in the garage.

This is the old bike but what could be easier than that? When you have had the perfect set up its very hard to consider anything else.

Grahams-dog.jpg

grath

Nothing will convince me otherwise. Vans with a garage and only half the usable space just feel claustrophobic to me plus I dont want the kitchen in the same area as my lounge. As for the rack. Ive yet to see any set up and especially a garage set up as quick and easy as the original Armitage scooter rack. Literally on or off in less than a minute. There are no straps to put over the handlebars or springs. Just one bar to drop down over the seat and one strap through the front wheel and thats it. Ive seen people mess on for half an hour with a trailer or getting the thing in the garage.

This is the old bike but what could be easier than that? When you have had the perfect set up its very hard to consider anything else.

Grahams-dog.jpg
I think Barry, you missed what I said.
We used only one strap, No straps over handlebars or springs. I made a long slot for the wheels to droop in and it never moved and was quick in and out
Hardly any slower than when we had it on a rack

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_89c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_89c.jpeg
    539.9 KB · Views: 12

wildebus

I assume in future the discount will be applied then David.
Lithium batteries are getting cheaper every year.
Soon all mohos will be fitted with them as standard.
Happy to be corrected but I don't think they will on the Lithiums as they are already at a very good price point.
I used to use Alpha Batteries for battery buys even before I had access to a discount code and then a trade account as their prices were around the best anyway.
Not sure if you are correct about the "as standard" view TBH. Given manufacturers fit the cheapest batteries they can get away with - and I mean usually the cheapest possible within a fairly broad Lead Acid range - I can't see them jumping to something even 3 times the price let alone the current 6-7 times the price (why should they care about the longer life and benefits of Lithium if the wet cell lead battery still has a warranty equal to the vehicle?), and while Petrol and Diesel cars and vans are still on the road, there will be a massive industry in producing Lead Acid batteries to start them - and the Motorhome requirement for Leisure Batteries will be fed by that production no problem.

barryd

I think Barry, you missed what I said.
We used only one strap, No straps over handlebars or springs. I made a long slot for the wheels to droop in and it never moved and was quick in and out
Hardly any slower than when we had it on a rack

How do you get it in though? I just cant imagine you can rev it in as you can on a rack. Ive seen people using winches to get them in garages. My knees are knackered and there is no way I would want to be faffing about in a cramped garage trying to secure a scooter.

barryd

Last way longer unlike lead acid you can only use 50 percent of its capacity

Ive only had two leisure batteries in 13 years though. Solar generally has the single 125ah battery up to fully charged by lunchtime and we use a fair bit of stuff in the van these days, laptops, smart phones, TV and even music gear.

suneye

Last way longer unlike lead acid you can only use 50 percent of its capacity
Having wrecked a lead acid battery I wouldn’t use one again for my leisure battery but there are other batteries that put up with inconsistent charging, deeper discharge and cold weather charging. I think the big advantage with lithium is weight but for us the cost would have been 50% of our renovation budget.

grath

How do you get it in though? I just cant imagine you can rev it in as you can on a rack. Ive seen people using winches to get them in garages. My knees are knackered and there is no way I would want to be faffing about in a cramped garage trying to secure a scooter.
It just drives in with a little twist of the throttle
Easy Peasy

Drover

Stupid thing is that it is legal to have a for eg Range Rover and a Big caravan, but I cant drive my previous 4500van
I'm confused about who gave up licence but......
You never loose a hgv licence class only the entitlement to drive one, to get it reinstated you just need the correct form and a medical.
I'm not sure on the 7500kgs class thats issued on grandfather rights.

grath

I'm confused about who gave up licence but......
You never loose a hgv licence class only the entitlement to drive one, to get it reinstated you just need the correct form and a medical.
I'm not sure on the 7500kgs class thats issued on grandfather rights.

I just could not be bothered to complete the medicals. I do or did know the rules as I hold the both the UK and International Transport Management CPC (not the Drivers version)
I pass on Grandfather rights but there is always a palaver
At 65 a full HGV driver needs a medical every year
The C1 for 7500kg is every three years

Drover

I just could not be bothered to complete the medicals. I do or did know the rules as I hold the both the UK and International Transport Management CPC (not the Drivers version)
I pass on Grandfather rights but there is always a palaver
At 65 a full HGV driver needs a medical every year
The C1 for 7500kg is every three years
I was confused about who needed a licence.
I owned a few trucks until I retired so know about the requirements.
The c1 medical is an easy pass ,

barryd

It just drives in with a little twist of the throttle
Easy Peasy
How though? what happens when you get the front wheel in and handlebars and your outside? Every single one ive seen going in or out of a garage on Aires has generally been a two man job and either involved a winch or a lot of huffing and puffing. Its a moot point really as I cant see us ever giving up the back lounge.

grath

How though? what happens when you get the front wheel in and handlebars and your outside? Every single one ive seen going in or out of a garage on Aires has generally been a two man job and either involved a winch or a lot of huffing and puffing. Its a moot point really as I cant see us ever giving up the back lounge.
Well, Barry, the ones you have seen must have been total Toss Pots, no ifs and butts.
It is just the same as up onto a rear rack, although you need to squeeze along side just until the rear wheel is in .
Honestly it is dead easy!
Look for example, You can get yours on off is a few minutes, Yes!
But we have seen people faffing about for ages!
You just need to get into a rhythm

grath

The only thing that slows down getting a scooter in and out of the garage, is if you surround it with crap
It usually could take me an extra couple minutes to remove the crap
Which in the big scheme of things is not a deal breaker as we are not on a time limit are we

barryd

The only thing that slows down getting a scooter in and out of the garage, is if you surround it with crap
It usually could take me an extra couple minutes to remove the crap
Which in the big scheme of things is not a deal breaker as we are not on a time limit are we
Biggest issue I have now is my knees. Until I get knee replacements Im going to struggle getting a scooter in and out of a garage if I have to crawl in beside it while revving it up a ramp. Its a recipe for disaster. There are a couple of vans that tick all the right boxes if I decide against a PVC which was always going to be a bit of a stretch anyway. They will come up eventually. Sounds like ours is going to be roadworthy very soon with any luck anyway.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:182)

Edina, Wully, helmit, Farman, rugbyken, RV2MAX, Heppy, Jon, Silver sprinter, alwaysared, skippy 66, Makzine, bazzybabes, SquirrellCook, AllanD, Biggarmac, ian1950, dunfillin, HurricaneSmith, n brown, 1807truckman, Robmac, Funman, caledonia, Tookey, RoadTrek Boy, Handel10, Tim120, Babybirddog, Greengrass, Victor, Nidge, motorwaycafe, britcoms, GreggBear, yorkslass, korky, trekkert, Steve and Julie, tidewatcher, Drover, specky4eyes, iampatman, wildebus, terrywolf, DTF, REC, mark61, Bouydog, JVG, 2cv, TeamRienza, mistericeman, Tallyman, ARDAS, Bigshug, Servo, Obanboy666, r4dent, ATwin, Larnie, tobym, bmc, kernewek, DnK, trevskoda, yeoblade, Derekoak, barryd, Debroos, Donsider, Chappy, Neckender, Bounce, Fisherman, RichardHelen262, MartinFife, madtheswine99, Forcesixwindy, Nowego, Saoirse, Toffeecat, Mandoman, Martin P, greg1, Tonybvi, Trotter, fiona68, number14, painter01, st3v3, Badgerbosslady, alcam, clarkpeacock, hanger18, exwindsurfer, mariesnowgoose, molly 2, Sambarob, Tagster, campergramps, Greenwayjay, bobemmo29, Topmast, kevlakes, The laird, Veloman, Codie, Ron333, Canalsman, Scotia, Dryerview1, Herman, Chip, mikewroe, tuckerstravel, WanderingEllie, rustydog, harrow, ton27, kingfisher1, suneye, Brockley, Harryw, runnach, Forresbroons, Orkneybob, Costers, DorsetDrifter, davep10000, groyne, Dezi, Cookie2k8, Lee, Outdoorjunky, Nabsim, Nomadic, witzend, antje, Peter Hislop, Steady Eddy, Alberto, linkshouse, colinm, Liberty hall, ronmacdee, Val54, Debdancer1, Tapfitter, ajb70, jtjardin, Alf, Gerry Attrick, gdf, ptulley, Glosstud, TJBi, argoose, Goggles, watchthis, Buckby, magpus, smg, Luckheart, iqofafish, kensowerby, Caz, SallyW, pj650, Sharon the Cat, edo, davef, tweez, Monkeybrand, Murgzie, DAVEY, GMJ, chairstand, rabW, skippy, JackieA, knowledgeseeker,