overnight before York show

sprokit

Hi - we can only manage Friday at the show and then need to head north again - so travelling down Thursday afternoon/evening down the A1 ........does anyone know of any useful "overnighting spots" closish to York ....done the journey loads of times but always camped over at the show so never taken note of possibilities just for the one night.....any help appreciated. Ta

We are booked from Thursday but heading off over on Wednesday afternoon ,been looking for overnight spot I see one nr Catterick would do us then just down to York Thursday morning.

Val

alanval said:
We are booked from Thursday but heading off over on Wednesday afternoon ,been looking for overnight spot I see one nr Catterick would do us then just down to York Thursday morning.

Val

you are just north of us then - we are in Carlisle

Just back from Tesco Carlisle we have other friends in Carlisle with motorhome as well ,also going to York.You dont have a Hymer do you and nr Garlands.
Val

if you look on the map for the outer ring road round york (north) follow the
a19 york to thirsk road there is a set back layby next to the fairfield hotel.
its 20 mins to the race course.

alanval said:
Just back from Tesco Carlisle we have other friends in Carlisle with motorhome as well ,also going to York.You dont have a Hymer do you and nr Garlands.
Val

Yes we do have a Hymer , but not near the Garlands.
Lynne

mickymoor said:

thanks for that - will have a look.
Lynne

sprokit said:
Yes we do have a Hymer , but not near the Garlands.
Lynne

ok Lynne just that the people next to out friends have a Hymer
they are at Carlton.
Thanks mickymoor might use that one ourselves to-morrow night.Heading to Tyne Valley Motorhomes first though.

Val

alanval said:
ok Lynne just that the people next to out friends have a Hymer
they are at Carlton.
Thanks mickymoor might use that one ourselves to-morrow night.Heading to Tyne Valley Motorhomes first though.

Val

would your friends be Frank and Yvonne (?) - if so we met them last year at York staying with the Facts group - normally we would be going down to stay but we have tickets for the rugby at Murrayfield on Sunday!
Lynne

Yes thats them lol Might see you at york we are going with the facts group must have seen you there last year !! I would have loved to have gone to Donnie Munro from RUNRIG at Langholm this sat but it clashed with the show .We need to see about getting a solar panel fitted depends how much they want if its to much we will get it done in Portugal when we go back in January.

Val

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes we were there but ended up spending most of our time with friends from another group who came and found us!..... good luck with the solar panel.

mickymoor said:

thanks for that - worked a treat and handy for getting to the race course - we did find another on the way down which could be handy in the future - on the A59 on the way out of Kirk Hammerton towards York, there is a parking area off the road behind trees on the other side of the road.....at least it made me start taking note of such places.

mickymoor said:

Thanks for that one, stayed there Thursday night no problems .
Got our solar panel fitted what a differance that made over the weekend bought a couple of nice comfy chairs and a new tv.

Val

we were to pick something up from a friend the following [this] weekend but the meet was cancelled due to Foot and Mouth.
so we decided to go to the show and pick it up from him there.
we packed up and went.
got to York and followed signs to end up right outside grandstand. starter refused to work so I was stuck but many others overnighting there anyway.

had been to the market that day and the butcher there gave the dogs something. i thought as a butcher it was meat scraps but they were sweets.
huskies have tricky stomachs.
3 lads and it was horrible. spent all night walking them [didn't get up quick enough 3 times so a lot to clear up inside]
couldn't even pick it up as it was liquid so apologies to York racecourse and anyone else involved
couldn't take lads on the field as they were in a state and I wanted to get them home and to the vet anyway so we saw nothing of the show.
did manage to pick up what we went for though....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back