Over Wintering In UK

Alshymer

Hello,
Can someone help?
We have returned from France to UK to live and whilst looking for a house, need somewhere to keep and live in the van over the winter months.
Sites I have contacted have a 21 day ruling which is ok but as I need to UK register the van as well, so it needs to be off the road for a couple of months, is not really suitable.
If anyone knows of somewhere around Norfolk/Yorkshire/Lincolnshire for preference or indeed anywhere else, that would be much appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
Regards
Alshymer

Hi.
Thanks for your reply but don't really know what you mean. We need to live in the van for the time being and as DVLA seem to be taking up to 10 weeks to register vehicles at present, we need to find somewhere to stay for that period of time.

Well if it was me I would ask a friend if I could borrow their address and register the van there, now they do not come to see if there is actually a van present it's all paperwork, if the friend has a place big enough for their use and to park your van then you could either ask to stay there.

Might be worth asking a farmer, they have plenty of space.

Hi,
Thanks. We don't have friends with that amount of space unfortunately. A farmer sounds good though.
We thought that we would have had more suggestions or places to stay on the forum than we have had.

To be fair it's a difficult one, I dare say a lot won't have a clue so best to say nothing. I don't have a clue either but I thought thinking out loud might do no harm and it bumps the thread up a bit.

I had friends come back from France stayed with us while they sorted their car I took it for it's MOT with French number they drove it on French plates until UK reg sorted
That crossed my mind but I have no idea how all that malarky works.

Hi
Thanks for your replies.
The van is currently on a 6month temporary import so is French registered and insured and is registered to an address in France. I need to get an MOT and advise Customs that it has arrived permanently and send off the forms to DVLA with the Registration Document.
As it is road legal, I cannot now see a problem with driving it whilst awaiting the new UK registration docs, although probably a lawyer would say that it should be laid up.

If it's legal to use in the UK I would go back to using a friends address, and if asked, you're on a road trip.

I had friends come back from France stayed with us while they sorted their car/house etc. I took it for it's MOT with French number they drove it on French plates until UK reg sorted
They've told me there was no problem as your allowed 6 mths which they took full advantage of even though they had the documents back from DVLA sooner. Did suggest you carry the import paperwork and something to prove when the car entered the UK in case stopped by the police, They used their address as that was where they where collecting mail from. But you can use any address you can be contacted from to register a vehicle mines registered at my son's.
But there are firms that supply an address used by among others people living on boats many years ago I had a PO box and collected mail from the local PO whether thats still available you'll need to check.

Last edited:
Having purchased my latest vehicle from CZ I enclosed a very nice letter asking if it would be possible for a quick import vehicle registration stating the chassis insurance is only valid for 30 days.Result new registration in 2 weeks,amazing service.

There are a few places near us in Suffolk who store motorbikes on their sites as well as having temporary visitors. Wonder whether you could come to some agreement with them. Holton Garden Centre or Orchard Farm Site Holton. Also the pub near us has caravans/ campers there pretty much all the time...not sure if stored or lived in...Triple Plea Pub Halesworth. Agree with others that a UK address is all that is needed and can be changed after when you have a more permanent residence. When we had stuff in storage in Dunkirk Kent they had postboxes which had a proper address https://www.needaspace.co.uk/
Hope you find something.

I'll also suggest Willow Fields. They were very kind to us full-timers during lockdown. Also a great site for a peaceful stopover. It's a no-fuss site. Relaxed atmosphere.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back