Orkney - which island?

number14

Well, we're off to Orkney soon; ferry booked and 'to blazes' with lpg shortages and the price of diesel.

Apart from Mainland and the well known ancient sites, we would like to take the van to one other island for a few days. Currently homing in on Sanday for the beaches but would welcome other recommendations.

Hoy for the WW2 the relics and Longhope for the lifeboat museum and the Hackness Martello tower and battery. You can park at Rackwick and stay for up to a week. Excellent beach at Rackwick Bay and a steady walk up to the Old Man Of Hoy.

Cheers

H

Hoy is great for the WW2 relic and will be a must see destination when they eventually get the museum finished.

We live on Westray so may be biased when I say that it is a nice island to visit. The people here are very friendly, everyone waves. As for things to see, there is the Heritage Centre with various artefacts including the Orkney Venus (Westray Wifey), Balfour Castle, the links of Noltland, puffins at the Castle o‘Burrian (you need to go in the evening for best viewing when they will all but land in your hand).

I think that will do or I’ll start sounding like an ambassador! That said if you do want any more info feel free to PM me,

Phill

Plenty of space at Rackwick Bay to overnight as well. Fantastic varied walking. You won’t be sorry.

Its a while since I have been but last time I was there you could get a flight from the main Island to North Ronaldsay for about £25. A great way to see the islands from above and on ours it stopped a couple of times on the way back for passengers who wanted to get off at other islands. I think it was like an 8 seater plane.

Its a while since I have been but last time I was there you could get a flight from the main Island to North Ronaldsay for about £25. A great way to see the islands from above and on ours it stopped a couple of times on the way back for passengers who wanted to get off at other islands. I think it was like an 8 seater plane.
Used to be able to do a circular flight for about forty quid a few years ago. Had to register an interest before 10.00am and then turn up for the flight in the afternoon. Ours picked up teachers from the outlying islands. You're right Barry, it was an Islander operated by Loganair at the time and still are.

Cheers

H

Last edited:
Same here. How easy is it to move the motorhome between islands?

This was covered elsewhere, but in 2019 there was no pumped LPG on Orkney. I don't imagine that has changed.

This was covered elsewhere, but in 2019 there was no pumped LPG on Orkney. I don't imagine that has changed.
Yes, I know, and that will limit the time we can spend there. We can go about 3 weeks between fills when not using heating. Plus,, we have to allocate time to find a refill on return to the mainland. For this reason, as much as we'd like to 'wild' all the time, we will use some sites with EHU.
Ideally we need to go with lithium, more solar and a compressor fridge but that's not for this year.

Oh, and many thanks to all for your tips and suggestions.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back