Oppy freeby and a wanted

Today I have received a 12" square piece of aluminium art, pre drilled, painted and complete with all the bits and pieces needed for me to fit it. Sue and I are blown away, this is a gift from one of our members, so a great big thanks. As I have said on many occasions, we are not a club nor a community, we are one big family, so thank you again for being part of mine.
Peter
Put some mastic round the inside edge before riveting on. (y)

My dear friend gave me a whole load of blind rivets, the correct size drill bits and 2 tubes of the gunk needed to completely do the job, this what I mean by a family. My eyes actually leaked when I opened the package and saw the contents
Are you sure your eyes leaked Peter, you could just have spilt some wine!

Well then young Ral, I have just pulled the cork and up to now I have never spilt a drop, knowingly !!, so here goes.
Just got the van back today with the fuel leak sorted, a service done and a report on a few things that needed sorting, so now I am, when the sun comes up and the vino has exited my system, going to start filling the gap where my water heater once was with this wonderful plate.
But here is a cautionary tale
We have been using a garage not far from where iceman lives for our servicing and MoTs who we thought looked after us rather well. It turns out that doing things on the cheap is a recipe for disaster. Half price tests and fixed price servicing seem to hide problems. The folks that I went to locally are well known and respected in our town and are neighbours of folks that Sue has known since she was 4.
Because of the problems experience during our Iberian foray (including spraying fuel over the folks behind us), we decided to bite the bullet, get some stuffing from the mattress and pay real money for a proper job.
In November we had an MoT done together with a service, no advisories. We set off mid January to invade Europe and by the time we reached Portsmouth there was quite a pong of diesel in the cab. I suppose that we got used to it, but every time we parked up there was a stain under the engine. Anyway today when I picked up the van after they had identified and cured the fuel leak and done the service I was presented with a small list of faults, eg:-front shocks leaking, rear brake cylinders leaking and the front chassis member corroded and needing welding and the upshot of this is that we did our jolly in a dangerous vehicle because the problems are not recent, I have much to think about. Anyway we have agreed to have the remedial stuff done at the end of the month and pay in instalments.
As I said, a cautionary tale from one who knows

Wow Peter, it sounds like you have both been very lucky. Good plan to get it all sorted, so that at least it’s not dangerous. Do you think that you will still enjoy touring without the smell of diesel?

Well then young Ral, I have just pulled the cork and up to now I have never spilt a drop, knowingly !!, so here goes.
Just got the van back today with the fuel leak sorted, a service done and a report on a few things that needed sorting, so now I am, when the sun comes up and the vino has exited my system, going to start filling the gap where my water heater once was with this wonderful plate.
But here is a cautionary tale
We have been using a garage not far from where iceman lives for our servicing and MoTs who we thought looked after us rather well. It turns out that doing things on the cheap is a recipe for disaster. Half price tests and fixed price servicing seem to hide problems. The folks that I went to locally are well known and respected in our town and are neighbours of folks that Sue has known since she was 4.
Because of the problems experience during our Iberian foray (including spraying fuel over the folks behind us), we decided to bite the bullet, get some stuffing from the mattress and pay real money for a proper job.
In November we had an MoT done together with a service, no advisories. We set off mid January to invade Europe and by the time we reached Portsmouth there was quite a pong of diesel in the cab. I suppose that we got used to it, but every time we parked up there was a stain under the engine. Anyway today when I picked up the van after they had identified and cured the fuel leak and done the service I was presented with a small list of faults, eg:-front shocks leaking, rear brake cylinders leaking and the front chassis member corroded and needing welding and the upshot of this is that we did our jolly in a dangerous vehicle because the problems are not recent, I have much to think about. Anyway we have agreed to have the remedial stuff done at the end of the month and pay in instalments.
As I said, a cautionary tale from one who knows

It was a good job you got back to the UK and can get it sorted out here. :unsure:

Sometimes the diesel fuel filter can crack from overtightening might be worth seeing if that has wet diesel around it
Sadly I didn't check that, but the feed pipes to 1 and 3 injectors were weeping and I assumed that there was where the fault lay, and it appears it was so. Today we went out in the van, it is Sues dads birthday, so we went to the crem in Stockport and did our bit by his grave and then off to Ikea in Ashton for a few bits of stuff. We went in the van because we need the loo, I suppose that it is an age thing and we were able to piddle with impunity, we got our stuff and upon our return, there is no leak visible on the drive, so with grateful thanks-----------------------we are healed

So far !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an aside though, whilst walking around the cemetery the bins were full of fresh flowers, it seems that after the services all the floral tributes are just binned. It was distressing to see the Dad and Son displays stacked behind the bins, Sue and I were quite upset to see it, in fact we took quite a few of the flowers and placed them on forgotten graves. Folks spend a fortune on floral tributes to those who they have loved and lost, but in this current situation once the cortege has driven away it seems that the staff have nothing to do with them other than to bin them. So maybe, if any of us as Sue and I have been, are in the position of losing loved ones, maybe make a donation and take a bunch of flowers home to help keep the memory alive.
Sorry folks. sermon over

Last edited:
More good news, Peter .
The Charity shop has reopened.
They are flooded out with donated stuff from lockdown tidy-uppers.
But we're on the list, when their van is available..
Your Electric bike will be doing some good , soon we hope..
That's a " Portuguese soon "
Go steady, now !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back