One week in Scotland - help needed

suneye

Hi We have one weeks holiday in October and we would like to go to Scotland. Anyone suggest a route or an area that they they would choose given the time restraints. We were thinking of going to the west coast but can be persuaded otherwise. We would like to see the natural beauty rather than towns if that narrows it down any and It is no good us thinking that we will have time now to book and arrange ferries to go off to islands so just mainland suggestions please. Thanks in advance.

I would recommend the Cairngorm National Park. Easier to find wildcamping places and for a weeks touring it’s ideal. Head for Aviemore and do some exploring then follow the whisky trail to Royal Deeside. People tend to go for the west coast but personally I think the Cairngorms have more to offer. The weather tends to be a bit better and less midgies.

D5050FB9-53DE-4B33-8C9B-706032449B43.jpeg

I'd suggest the Dumfries & Galloway area, a week couldn't do justice to the Highlands. the A712 road from Crockelford to Newtom Stewart is very atractive,
then come back along the Solway coast road, lots of interesting wee villages along the way & loads of wildcamping spots.
hope you get good weather.

Head for Loch Duich and spend a night at Ratagan overlooking the five sisters of kintail and the glen with morvich at its head. Then drive round to the carpark near the cemetery in the morvich glen. They are both on the online map. Then drive about 16 miles further on to the CR at stromeferry with great views over Loch Carron. If that CR is full then drive back up the single track road to the main road, turn left and there is a lay-be about 400 yards on your left with stunning views over the Loch. But all you have to do is drive up the west coast to find loads of places to stop over. On the east coast you have fife with its stunning fishing ports, but as you have stated you are not looking for this then the west coast offers you some fantastic scenery.

Just about anywhere from stranrear largs along west coast,lots to see and places to wild.

I’d say check the forecast just before you go and head for the bit with the best. Midges shouldn’t be a problem in October and loads of wilding spots should be quiet then. Dumfries and Galloway is not so far to travel and has some amazing scenery, like the view of the IOM from Monreith below.

A781157A-F431-4DFC-A927-164E71AD1EE3.jpeg

I would recommend the Cairngorm National Park. Easier to find wildcamping places and for a weeks touring it’s ideal. Head for Aviemore and do some exploring then follow the whisky trail to Royal Deeside. People tend to go for the west coast but personally I think the Cairngorms have more to offer. The weather tends to be a bit better and less midgies.

View attachment 73676
We had to beat a hasty retreat from that spot 3 weeks ago the wee beasties were on the rampage.
Nice spot to overnight though

Head for Loch Duich and spend a night at Ratagan overlooking the five sisters of kintail and the glen with morvich at its head. Then drive round to the carpark near the cemetery in the morvich glen. They are both on the online map. Then drive about 16 miles further on to the CR at stromeferry with great views over Loch Carron. If that CR is full then drive back up the single track road to the main road, turn left and there is a lay-be about 400 yards on your left with stunning views over the Loch. But all you have to do is drive up the west coast to find loads of places to stop over. On the east coast you have fife with its stunning fishing ports, but as you have stated you are not looking for this then the west coast offers you some fantastic scenery.
Thanks this sounds like a plan 🗺 👍

If you avoid large towns Scotland is one of the most beautiful places I know .we lived there for close on 25 years and loved it .whatever part you go to there is stunning scenery and great wildlife,enjoy it but take your time .

If you avoid large towns Scotland is one of the most beautiful places I know .we lived there for close on 25 years and loved it .whatever part you go to there is stunning scenery and great wildlife,enjoy it but take your time .

I tend to agree, but some of the border towns and Fife’s east neuk are well worth a visit, Fife’s east neuk has so many lovely fishing villages each one different from the next. If you get to Anstruther a visit to the isle of May is well worth a visit. You will see lots of birdlife, Scotland’s first lighthouse, a fog horn system using compressed air on both sides of the island. The sailing takes an hour you get 4 hours on the island and it goes out once a day accept a Friday when the birds are counted. I think it was £30 a head, but you have to book well in advance.

Not sure where you are starting from, this can make a big differance. We tend to head to west coast, but it takes us two days of easy driving or one very long tiring drive to get there.

Not sure where you are starting from, this can make a big differance. We tend to head to west coast, but it takes us two days of easy driving or one very long tiring drive to get there.
Almost as far away as you can get 😆On the plus side we have added a couple of days to get there and back.

Last time we were up that way we headed West (pretty much skipped straight up above Fort William)
And bought ourselves a cheap road atlas from a garage THEN set off exploring spall dead end roads ending at the sea or little coves etc....
We found some fantastic deserted spots that aren't plastered all over the Internet....

Get out and explore.... It's all part of the adventure ;-)

We are heading up to a sea loch by the Pentland Firth where we were some years ago and found it an amazing place to see the rut. We totally ignore the 500 and those"inventions" as they are so under resourced. We just explore and so enjoy our amazingly beautiful country. Now we are based in the Borders of course the travel time is greatly reduced too. We are heading North via Stonehaven for the best fish and chips in Scotland (on the prom) then up to Rattray head to give the dogs a good beach run, then west towards Inverness then after a night there up the road to the far north to see what we can see.

B2

Last time we were up that way we headed West (pretty much skipped straight up above Fort William)
And bought ourselves a cheap road atlas from a garage THEN set off exploring spall dead end roads ending at the sea or little coves etc....
We found some fantastic deserted spots that aren't plastered all over the Internet....

Get out and explore.... It's all part of the adventure ;-)
This is good to know thanks

We had a week in Scotland

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back