Oh woe is me,

Harrytherid

Oh woe is me. That battery I bought from Wildebus, not that there is anything wrong with the battery, just the fact that I bought it aware that it was too big to fit in and thought I could overcome that problem but did not do it well enough. The seat, under which the battery resides, is seriously heavy so I did not lift it off to dig out the floor (recommended method) to gain the height but fitted spacers to raise the seat up (wife wanted it higher anyway) sufficiently for the seat to clear the terminals. This was fine until I came to replace the seat after leaning it back to make some adjustments to the wiring and tripped, dropping the seat, whereupon it slipped off and displaced the insulating spacers and landed on the terminals. The result of this was clouds of acrid smoke and all the insulation burnt off the negative wiring. It seems like the heat damaged the control/fuse board panel and much of the wiring so I have a major and probably expensive job to sort that out. If I am capable of doing so. The Nordelettronica 85.1 board seems to be unavailable. So until I can find one, fit it and replace much of the wiring I do not have a motorhome. Moral of story DO NOT FIT BATTERY WHICH IS TOO BIG no matter how good it might be.

No just get a man/girl who can do the job right first time, I always tell folk if you are not up to the job then leave it alone as you cause more problems in the long run, hope you get it sorted soon.

Last edited:
It’s a risk we take with DIY. It’s very rewarding when a project goes well, but mistakes can be costly and dangerous. it’s all the more upsetting when we know the risks and it goes wrong anyway. At least you are ok. I do hope you get it fixed.

Last edited:
My wife knows a mans son killed doing a strut on the family car when on a scissor jack, it dropped and the sons head got between the disk and the inner wing, they lived just behind their house, the dad had went in for dinner and left the 14 year old in the garage, we all make mistakes but, always sum a job up and think it through before getting the tools out.

My wife knows a mans son killed doing a strut on the family car when on a scissor jack, it dropped and the sons head got between the disk and the inner wing, they lived just behind their house, the dad had went in for dinner and left the 14 year old in the garage, we all make mistakes but, always sum a job up and think it through before getting the tools out.
I don't even trust axle stands. If I have to work underneath my vehicle I alway jack it up and drop it onto breeze blocks or something else wide and solid.

I don't even trust axle stands. If I have to work underneath my vehicle I alway jack it up and drop it onto breeze blocks or something else wide and solid.
I have seen bricks/blocks crumble, on cars I always doubled up two wheels and slid them in under the sills/floor of the side I'm working at, when working on the van I double up on 6 ton stands.
axle in b.jpg

Snag is finding the right person isn't easy, especially down here in the sticks.
Yep. Have suffered years of odd faults from vehicle charging and engine running side of my van. At least 3 AA recoveries home and numerous dangerous loss off power pulling out of T junctions as engine went into limp mode with no warning.

I’m no expert but I found the expert (well recommended auto electrician of 40+ years) that installed my first replacement spilt charger 10 years ago had not done it as per manufacturer’s instructions (even after my explanation) for my van’s type of alternator.

Erratic voltage on my van confused sensors so it throws lots of engine faults codes, disabled the alternator and has even disabled the ABS on startup.

Thank heavens my yogy is old school and I did it myself and it works, well ok a bit of reading wildbus stuff, the mans a legend in his own lunchtime.

Those of you who tell me what I should have done are no help. I already know, I have great eyes for hindsight, but what I don't know is where to go from here. any decent suggestions? I am in central Cornwall.

Those of you who tell me what I should have done are no help. I already know, I have great eyes for hindsight, but what I don't know is where to go from here. any decent suggestions? I am in central Cornwall.
Best to replace any bad bits of wiring etc and start again, draw a plan out first and take your time, if you don't have the tools or know how then ask around for someone who does.

I put two under my 07 Relay drivers seat.

I put wires into a split piece of 42mm plastic waste pipe, shove them forward enough to drop the LBs in which holds them in position, it's a tight fit, need 10mm batten to level LBs
056%20put%20wires%20into%20a%20split%20piece%20of%2042mm%20plastic%20waste%20pipe%20%2C%20shove%20them%20forward%20enough%20to%20drop%20the%20LBs%20in%20which%20holds%20them%20in%20position%2C%20it%27s%20a%20tight%20fit%2C%20need%2010mm%20batten%20to%20level%20LBs.jpg

See spreaders moving harness forward, to be held in place with split 42mm pipe cut a third out of the length, and LBs hold them in place 2013-04-13 13.11.00
057%20see%20spreaders%20moving%20harness%20forward%2C%20to%20be%20held%20in%20place%20with%20split%2042mm%20pipe%20cut%20a%20third%20out%20of%20the%20length%2C%20and%20LBs%20hold%20them%20in%20place%202013-04-13%2013.11.00.jpg

I tried them under the drivers seat even though it looked tight, the seat springs do not come anywhere near the posts despite how it looks 2013-04-12 17.03.40
054%2046f%20I%20tried%20them%20under%20the%20drivers%20seat%20even%20though%20it%20looked%20tight%2C%20the%20seat%20springs%20do%20not%20come%20anywhere%20near%20the%20posts%20despite%20how%20it%20looks%202013-04-12%2017.03.40.jpg

With a few mods to the under seat harness they fit easily 2013-04-12 17.04.34
055%2046g%20with%20a%20few%20mods%20to%20the%20underseat%20harness%20they%20fit%20easily%20%28see%20053%20for%20model%29%202013-04-12%2017.04.34.jpg

055 46g with a few mods to the under seat harness they fit easily 2013-04-12 17.04.34

even with the seat in its lowest position and forward or back, there was no contact with the posts, and I had a 3mm sheet of plastic just in case anyway.

I used 2 x 110ah explorer batteries, sorry, I don't recall the size or model.

Okay if you like hospital food, makeshift stands are ok but should be of wood, oak is best, bricks, stone or blocks would give zero warning of impending doomness.
a bit harsh, makeshift stands makes it sound like I’m cobbling it together. I do have axle stands and to be honest I do tend to use wood or stone mainly, perhaps breeze blocks were a bad example.

a bit harsh, makeshift stands makes it sound like I’m cobbling it together. I do have axle stands and to be honest I do tend to use wood or stone mainly, perhaps breeze blocks were a bad example.
Not intended to be harsh, humourous mainly, but stone is bad, it can just go unless it's granite of course, it's strong enough but more than likely you will have a point load and it's not good in that way, I'd use axle stands but even they can have issues unless you know their history, well made and built for the weight are best unless you need the wheels free.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back