Not so smart meter

Do you know that in north aus only twin tubes can be used as to save water and lecy,i still use a old hoover twin and love it.
I bought a new one from china and it broke the drive shaft connector so i will have to make a new one,when running it was a good tool.

I am about to change utility that will save in excess of £200 per annum so the smart meter hasn’t done me any favours

I am about to change utility that will save in excess of £200 per annum so the smart meter hasn’t done me any favours

Same here, actually changed yesterday. I wait with baited breadth as in the past I have changed and within a couple of months I have them messaging me stating they need to increase my direct debit as I’m using more gas/electric.
I will be getting my new supplier to fit a smart meter as in the past I’ve found it useful to monitor my usage. Don’t give a toss if it allows big brother to spy on me, I've better things to worry about. 👍👍👍

Last edited:
Same here, actually changed yesterday. I wait with baited breadth as in the past I have changed and within a couple of months I have them messages me stating they need to increase my direct debit as I’m using more gas/electric.
I will be getting my new supplier to fit a smart meter as in the past I’ve found it useful to monitor my usage. Don’t give a toss if it allows big brother to spy on me, I've better things to worry about. 👍👍👍

I am paying well over the odds with OVO ... but I am getting 3% interest on it. I cannot get that much at Barclays. :giggle:

if your on a smart meter they can send you accurate bills every time ...no need to guess a monthly figure.

Changed energy suppliers now using dual fuel supplier, deal was struck with the incentive of a smart meter being installed the services provider was duly changed and as promised smart meter installed, spent a couple of days watching the pounds and pences ticking over and getting a good overview on my bad habits for gas and electric use, Then after about a week it stopped working saying lost connection.
I rang the suppliers customer service number and after a 15 minutes wait spoke to a representative and after some trouble shooting was told it was connected at their end and was sending data (meter reading etc) so all was well, and the problem would be passed on to the tech team to investigate remotely and this could take up two weeks:mad:
I informed Customer service i was not happy about the length of time and a working smart meter was the clincher to changing over, as i wanted to do my bit for the environment and my pocket anyone had similar issues?

Until smart meters are compulsory I wouldn't have one anywhere near my house, I've heard too may bad reports . My electricity supplier keeps saying that the new ones are second generation and do not have the problems the first generation ones had. I just keep telling them I'll have one when they are compulsory.

Well I am resisting having them installed because I know for a fact that they will never work where they have to be installed in my garage, where there is no coverage whatsoever on any network.

As does a relative, who is also in the same situation, but gave in, even the installers said that it would never work in his location, but they are incentivised to put them in so in it went. And achieves nothing. He knows perfectly well how to turn things on and off and manage his use, still has to read it himself, but the very significant cost of all of this just gets added to our bills. It is a huge amount already. In billions.

13.4 billion £ so far, according to https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/17/four_year_delay_for_smart_meter_rollout/

Which has already gone somewhere, snoughts in troughs I think. As for the desperate pleas from say EDF Energy who now try to tell me that it it is a legal requirement to have one fitted, pure BS. It won't work, they will be fined I think £50 for not doing it, rather than incentivised by quite a lot more to put in something that I don't want, will not work, and overall adds to the price of my supply, then punish me with higher bills for being awkward.These things are not free. Another government initiative that has been very badly thought though.

They couldn't even make them inter-operable to begin with, supposedly that has now been fixed with SMETS2.

As for the "shared rural network proposal" well I don't think that is likely to happen any time soon, if ever. I live in a densely populated place, but in a pocket down a hillside where there is nothing unless I put my 'phone in a particular spot on the bathroom windowsill and can get just one network, slowly Yet if I walk a hundred yards up the road everything is perfect. I see no incentive for any network to put in a small cell to fill things in for under a 100 people, never mind co-operate with other networks to share it. I wouldn't. if I was managing that business.
The only 'Legal' part about 'Smart' meters is that the Gov states that they must be fitted for free. That's it!

Apart from the issue with 5G/WiFi being harmful (Switzerland has blocked any further 5G Cell towers from being erected) https://lenews.ch/2019/05/02/geneva-blocks-the-erection-of-5g-mobile-antennas/
Would you really want a provider to be able to cut off your electricity supply remotely ie a mouse click?

The only 'Legal' part about 'Smart' meters is that the Gov states that they must be fitted for free. That's it!

Apart from the issue with 5G/WiFi being harmful (Switzerland has blocked any further 5G Cell towers from being erected) https://lenews.ch/2019/05/02/geneva-blocks-the-erection-of-5g-mobile-antennas/
Would you really want a provider to be able to cut off your electricity supply remotely ie a mouse click?
When the first steam trains were run people said if you go over 5 mph you will not be able to breath.

TSB, Nationwide are paying 5% for 12 months, at one time we had 18 current accounts between us.
Don't know about TSB but the Nationwide doesn't have any account paying 3% nowadays let alone 5%, as far as I know. If there is one, I'd love to know what they call it.

Got an email from TSB saying the interest rate will be lowered in May :cry:
HSBC regular saver 2.75% agreed it only is only as you add a maximum of £250 per month but you do receive £175 for moving your account to them.

Changed energy suppliers now using dual fuel supplier, deal was struck with the incentive of a smart meter being installed the services provider was duly changed and as promised smart meter installed, spent a couple of days watching the pounds and pences ticking over and getting a good overview on my bad habits for gas and electric use, Then after about a week it stopped working saying lost connection.
I rang the suppliers customer service number and after a 15 minutes wait spoke to a representative and after some trouble shooting was told it was connected at their end and was sending data (meter reading etc) so all was well, and the problem would be passed on to the tech team to investigate remotely and this could take up two weeks:mad:
I informed Customer service i was not happy about the length of time and a working smart meter was the clincher to changing over, as i wanted to do my bit for the environment and my pocket anyone had similar issues?
In the middle of a similar mess......have been advised to send meter readings. Would be glad to get rid of the “smart” meter

Hi I was lucky it was still sending data to the supplier, however we have now had an engineer visit (two weeks later) and it now works, another bonus is i have through managing our usage using data obtained before the smart meter stopped displaying locally reduced gas and electric bill by a significant.This included rebate and reduced monthly payment, so we will see how long it keeps going this time.

yes dont get one,they are not in your inter-rest, that is my humble a pin-neon, so its ok from them, ok.pj.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back