Not running a Motorhome

Toffeecat

Hi all and another question, this time storage of a motorhome. We put ours away a few weeks back in storage. The place might be open but fair play to the owner theres a sign asking people to not pop over to check on the vans. Im sticking strictly to govt guidance and dont want to drive 8 miles just to check on the motorhome. Now I used to be a diesel fitter, I know the engine will be fine although I may need to charge the battery. Is there anything we should or could do for long term van storage if we cant get to it? Obvious stuff like dropping the water Ive done but if this goes on for months any advice?Put it up on blocks that kind of stuff

Open all the cupboards to allow air circulation, keep fridge open stops mold etc, check that all access to under the van into hab area is sealed i had a couple of field mice coming up through the air duct near the prolex heater put rodent proof mesh over access vents.
I always park up with no hand brake on only in gear but i guess we are all savy to that one. If disconnecting batteries don't forget to cover solar panel if fitted.
Sure some more informed members will be able to add more to this list :)

On warm days if allowed you could open it to ventilate and dry the insides, vermin should not be much of a problem until it gets cold.

On warm days if allowed you could open it to ventilate and dry the insides, vermin should not be much of a problem until it gets cold.
Thanks true it was December when they decided to move in a couple of humane mice trap sorted them out.

If it’s going to be stationary for only a couple of months then pump the tyres to the max allowed pressure and cover those that are exposed to the sun, if it is longer than a couple of months then I would put your vehicle on blocks. On Fords I have noticed degradation of the headlamp lenses because they are plastic so It might be worth covering them, the other item is to cover/lift the wiper plates of the windscreen as they tend to stick if not moved for a long time. Last but not least leave it with full tank of fuel to minimise condensation in the tank. Apologies if you are familiar with this lot but it helps to be reminded from time to time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back