Not Looking Good For Our Scottish Foray !

West coast is nice in summer but you can be a prisoner in your own house at times when the midge are bad especially Ardnamurchan. The winters are long and bleak with not much happening apart from the weather.
That would be fine with me!!

As per the title it`s not looking good for our little Scottish foray in September :(

A friend of the wife who has full timed in her motorhome for the last 5 years is working on a private camp site in the Highlands and we`d planned on calling in to see her.

The visit is already booked but we`ll only pay when we get there being a friend of a friend so to speak, all other bookings have to be paid for in advance.

She is saying it`s bloody awful with the resentment between the locals and motorhomers to the point of she is scared to go out in the motorhome if she needs anything.

She`d always used her motorhome so as to get everything moving and free the brakes up etc. instead of leaving it pitched up for the couple of years she`s worked there.

Having been almost run off the road several times and had a load of verbal abuse shouted at her she now borrows the campsite owners car if she has any errands to do for herself.

The owners have kept her on through Covid-19 with lots and lots of tidying up and small DIY jobs, now the site is open it`s packed solid with pre-bookings only being accepted.

There have been several instances of a young couples turning up with a tent that turns out to be one of the monstrous family tents then all their mates turning up later to party.

Clearly being car tent campers nothing is being said to them and it seems it`s only motorhomes / campervans that are being targeted.

Before anyone asks i`m not prepared to mention the name or location of the site other than it`s in the Highlands in order to protect her.
We did the nc500 last week in our campervan and although busy in a small number of places its nowhere near as bad as being claimed. we didn't have any negative experiences and found all the locals friendly and welcoming. i imagine September will be ideal with the kids going back and no midges in the west. plenty of wild camping spots available and the 3 sites we stayed at were all only half full at most and all weer booked the day before we left.

We did the nc500 last week in our campervan and although busy in a small number of places its nowhere near as bad as being claimed. we didn't have any negative experiences and found all the locals friendly and welcoming. i imagine September will be ideal with the kids going back and no midges in the west. plenty of wild camping spots available and the 3 sites we stayed at were all only half full at most and all weer booked the day before we left.
Good to hear from the horses mouth that things are good and locals friendly. When your hear bad reports it normally comes from a friend of a friend who was told by his neighbors brother.

If you want any ideas for NE Scotland just let me know. We’re heading in the opposite direction late September to get some fancy electrics fitted to the van at VanBitz and making a bit of a holiday of it.

Cheers Tony thank you very much :)

We know Scotland really well considering we are Englanders, hopefully all should be well, so long as you let us across the border o_O

Having just done 1800 miles around Scotland including the NC500, with no issues whatsoever, it seems that MHs are pretty welcome as far as I could see.
The only thing to be aware of on a lot of the 500 is the relentless need to use the passing places and to watch out for those others who should not be allowed to drive anything more than a peddle car, there are some right idiots about!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back