North Yorkshire/Northumberland Overnight?

RichardW

Free Member
Hello All
I am looking for an overnight stop (wild or aire) for our VW campervan later this week. We are heading up the A1 to Scotland and anywhere between Richmond and Morpeth - up to 10-15 miles or so off the A1 would be ideal.
Thanks for all ideas
Richard

I travelled up that way earlier this year and investigated a few options, but ended up managing to get slightly further north before stopping for the night. You might find it worthwhile joining as a full (paying) member in order to have access to the POIs on the Location App.

I travelled up that way earlier this year and investigated a few options, but ended up managing to get slightly further north before stopping for the night. You might find it worthwhile joining as a full (paying) member in order to have access to the POIs on the Location App.
Thanks Jacqui. That sounds like a good idea!

We looked at Cheswick sands carpark (only used by local folks and dog walkers)
Well away from crowds and has miles of unspoiled stunning beach just over the dunes

We saw no signs BUT that was pre covid...

In the end we didn't head out due to covid kicking off BUT might be worth a look

Screenshot_20211005-130313_OS Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20211005-130223_Earth.jpg

Hello All
I am looking for an overnight stop (wild or aire) for our VW campervan later this week. We are heading up the A1 to Scotland and anywhere between Richmond and Morpeth - up to 10-15 miles or so off the A1 would be ideal.
Thanks for all ideas
Richard

I stuck a couple of good laybyes in the POIs which are on the A19 between Thirsk and Teesside. The A19 is a good alternative route north, as driving along the A1 at Gateshead/Newcastle can be quite busy. Alternatively, you miss the Angel of the North and the Tyne Tunnel will cost you (£1.50?)

Gordon

It's not quite as far North as you wanted but the Mason's Arms at Hopperton (near Knaresborough) is a great place - buy a meal. The food is excellent and they are very welcoming.

there is a farm in heighton nr. newton aycliff...just off A1 and also a pub nr. newton aycliffe ....cant recall the names...howerever i found them on the internet.

there is a farm in heighton nr. newton aycliff...just off A1 and also a pub nr. newton aycliffe ....cant recall the names...howerever i found them on the internet.
Heighington?

The Dog Inn on the A68 used to be my local ...... many years ago. Worth ringing them.

Newton Aycliffe Trading Estate is also a good possibility.

Heighington?

The Dog Inn on the A68 used to be my local ...... many years ago. Worth ringing them.

Newton Aycliffe Trading Estate is also a good possibility.
Dog Inn is closed trading estate could be a OK lots of little hide always, @Stu2 near Hexham would be a great stop over.

I stuck a couple of good laybyes in the POIs which are on the A19 between Thirsk and Teesside. The A19 is a good alternative route north, as driving along the A1 at Gateshead/Newcastle can be quite busy. Alternatively, you miss the Angel of the North and the Tyne Tunnel will cost you (£1.50?)

Gordon
There are miles of roadworks on the A1 north of the Tyne and it is a holdup at busy times. As suggested, using the A19 and Tyne Tunnel is by far the better option. Even travelling late at night is not good on the A1 Gateshead/Newcastle area as there are diversions off the A1 for other overnight repairs.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back