North Norfolk NOT for Motorhomes

All barriers do is move the problem, a lot of people who don’t want to use camp sites for whatever reason will not use them. It makes sense to me that a car park that sits empty all night would be better served allowing overnight stops or a small fee. Who am I though...
some club site are natural twister well you no what i mean? at this point best of luck. and stay safe, ok.pj.

Wilding in Norfolk is frowned upon but is very hard to police - places like Thetford in particular - the rave that happened last weekend where thousands turned up was a long way off the nearest road and only the sound gave it away; it was easy to hit hundreds of cars etc. Local councils do though have people on the look out now for 'Wild campers/parking'
im with you, but i dont like it rough. keep it cool man, ok.pj.

Trouble is travellers in Norfolk always seem to cause problems. Cromer was the prime example where it affected the whole town when 2 particular families brought all their friends and had an argument which cause the town to go into a major lock down. There are several traveller sites around but these are always in a mess and just look as you drive around North Norfolk at any field entrances often you find farmers leaving old machinery blocking them or very large concrete blocks. They used to dig ditches across them and pile up banks but then the travellers came along with mini diggers and made a way in. I know one farmer quite well who had this happen - he was incensed that they made camp on his land so he hooked up his slurry wagon on back of his tractor and early one morning simply drove through their encampment and around it spraying slurry everywhere and left before the travellers knew what was going on - oddly they left that day!!!!
there was a hospital in north wales i be-leave, were certain elements parked, no one could get rid of. farmer went nicely , no were are not moving. one hour later
tractor and spreader at top of field full of pig £$%^, only spread one hundread yards they were moving,but the £$%^ they left.oh no.but life gose on ,ok.pj im off
can you smell me.

Our local park had two caravans appear a couple of days ago. Amid uproar on the FB community page, one person went and spoke to them, found out they had come from a similar place about ten miles away, planned to stay just two nights. They left the other park immaculate ( she checked with a friend from the town) and did the same here. Gone yesterday, no sign of them. Wish all were like this. Unfortunately some of the council are " looking into ways of preventing other encroachments" for the future.

The height barriers are open now and there are a lot of vans parking in the day only no one stays there overnight

Just an up to date view on this, specifically related to the big main car park in Cromer, overlooking the sea, as you approach on the coast road from Sheringham. I drive past it every day on the grandchildren school run. The barrier is currently down. I counted 5 motorhomes parked overnight there Wednesday morning, so obviously a relaxed approach is now operating. Public toilets open till 9pm. Also you often see motorhomes parked up overnight off the road, on the left, opposite the Cliftonville Hotel, some with the steadies out!

Ive just had a weekend in Northern Ireland, Newcastle Co Down and there they have a car park behind the main road in town that allows M/Homes to stay overnight with No Charge and there are toilets which they are allowed to use too, so why are they Not inundated with "travellers" after all This is in Ireland!! so are you all saying the "Travellers" are over here! we like many people stay on campsites but it would be nice if councils could adopt this type of approach, Ive never travelled abroad and use the Aires but I think perhaps this is very similar.
Also why cant people use local community centre car parks and pay a nominal fee to help with the upkeep of the village hall, surely someone could organise a barrier system that would allow you to pay a fee for a key that would then allow you access to the car park and open the barriers if they had one.

tried for a day out on Monday......first to Old Hunstanton; barriers down on car park.....road to Hunstanton full, mainly cars. Hunstanton itself impossible. Heacham barriers down, so no joy there and the same at Snettisham. All automated so no-one to help. The van is my only vehicle, so what to do? "Its because of travellers"; well the travellers I've seen locally, Cambridge, just break the barriers down and park up anyway. So the barriers cause great inconvenience to many people whilst being no deterrent to law breakers.....great!!

There must be a discrimination law that can be used to stop this. Any disabled people with high top vans as their only transport?

tried for a day out on Monday......first to Old Hunstanton; barriers down on car park.....road to Hunstanton full, mainly cars. Hunstanton itself impossible. Heacham barriers down, so no joy there and the same at Snettisham. All automated so no-one to help. The van is my only vehicle, so what to do? "Its because of travellers"; well the travellers I've seen locally, Cambridge, just break the barriers down and park up anyway. So the barriers cause great inconvenience to many people whilst being no deterrent to law breakers.....great!!
I lived and went to school in Heacham only leaving in 1978. The road then to Hunstanton was chocker block every sat/sun throughout the summer into September.and was quicker to use the rough beach road to get to Hunston. The main caravan site Searles used to be the largest in the country and is slowly creeping into Heacham - the 2 will be joined soon. Hunstanton is an OAP town and normally deserted from Oct to March but West Norfolk Council has lost the plot with parking and barriers but then that's if you can even get near the car park in the first place. I am truly glad we no longer live nearby.

We decided to take the dog to walk around Holkham Park on Sunday but due to the weather the whole estate was shut including Lady Anne Drive; many trees down and many dangerous so I can see why. We now live an hour away but know it well so rather than turn round and go home we decided to try the Wells beach car park (also owned by the estate). To our surprise it was open with barriers open as well but was quickly filling up at 9.30am even in the howling gale! We parked up, got v excited labrador out rearing to go and off we went steering clear of everyone else we could. The wind was howling straight off the sea but hoods up, heads down ventured over the dunes between the huts and off toward the sea (which was out). Suddenly there was hardly a person in site apart from us hardy individuals and a black lab slowly turning yellow from the sand blowing. We walked well past the Holkham boardwalk watching a couple of seals making their way to the sea (which was well out). getting back to the car park after about 2 hours walking it was absolutely full and queuing up the road!!!!! Several campervans and motorhomes in there and several still trying to get in. Quite a surprise considering the weather but i'd say 90% were walking along the track behind the dunes simply to keep out of the wind - glad we ventured onto beach even if it was a trudge.

I had seriously expected car park closed let alone fully open with barriers open..............................................

How Wells beach car park used to be - note no barriers then in 2017; this was July!!!!

Attachments

• Wells car park.pdf
    218.4 KB · Views: 106
We love Holkham beach too. Never seen the Wells beach car park with barriers up....whatever the reason, you were lucky to get your beach walk. Bet the black/ yellow Labrador left loads of sand in the van afterwards!

We love Holkham beach too. Never seen the Wells beach car park with barriers up....whatever the reason, you were lucky to get your beach walk. Bet the black/ yellow Labrador left loads of sand in the van afterwards!
I've often seen the barriers folded away and suppose as estate shut due to high winds they felt it wouldn't be right to leave barrier in place.

Van was at home and we were in my Nissan X Trail but thankfully most of the sand had brushed off after walking back through the pine woods - yes he is pure black again and was completely knackered as he must have run miles. My watch said we'd done 4.8 miles so he must have done at least 10!

Attachments

• 20200927_105551.jpg
    20200927_105551.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG-20200927-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200927-WA0000.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 81

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back