Nice little USA camping story.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about Aires Jim, it's not my idea of wildcamping - they will be like campsites.

Don't get me wrong, good luck to those campaigning for them, but they're not for me.

When in the US we favour Forestry sites, all the ones we've stayed at have been fairly basic with water and long drop toilets, but the pitches (if they can be called that) are usually far apart sometimes it's like being in middle of nowhere.
An example, we spent a few days in the Grand Canyon South area, the park sites where packed(one night), the nearest commercial site was also busy and like a car park(one awful night), the Forestry site was a long winding road with a few pull off's and in two nights only one other van who was somewhere out of sight and only saw them as we drove around in morning.

Yes Walmarts = Emergency only.
My now defunct planning for Cnada/USA included very few Walmarts and lots of "semi-wild" and wild places
There are some nice small aires in France (<5) These are fine IMO
Stellplatz in Germany also good and many small
Italian Sostas are variable but we found some very nice ones
All of the ones we liked only had 2 or others on-site !
No not wild but the facilities are handy !

We have occasionally used a supermarket carpark to overnight and like most things in life there is
good and notsogood.

We used this one in Argelès-Gazost last year it was very pleasant with the advantage of being to stock
up before a few days at Cirque de Gavarnie.

43.005136, -0.085930

Dezi

Pretty much sums up how I feel about Aires Jim, it's not my idea of wildcamping - they will be like campsites.

Don't get me wrong, good luck to those campaigning for them, but they're not for me.
Must admit I prefer wilding myself, but unless measures are taken to encourage provisions for the greater and increasing numbers our favourite spots are going to continue disappearing...and most of all we need places to fill and empty which are particularly difficult to find in many rural areas, and more so with Covid. So even if you don’t want to use aires, and even if you don’t want to actively campaign for them just subscribe to the group and add to their presence...numbers count.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back