NHS staff demanding discounts and freebies?

antiquesam

So that suggests that the businesses in question had agreed to go on the discount list.

Maybe there has been unprecedented demand due to C-19 and they've realised it hasn't actually worked in their favour over the longer term? :unsure:

Got to be a reason, unless it's just fake or story-twisted news with some of the pertinent facts conveniently left out to turn it into more of a controversial news item?
The two businesses quoted don't mention being on the list and the local health Trust were obviously embarrassed so I guess these people were chancing it.

Hallmut

However hard you work and however much compassion you show at work it should not be hard to see the suffering being experienced by those in other sectors. You can tell me about the health service people working long hours, just as teachers tell us the same thing but it's just the same in the private sector. I worked for many years for a finance house and regularly worked from 9 until 9 on a fixed salary and as a lorry driver I could go out in the morning expecting to be home at night and end up out for the week on a fixed monthly pay.
I've never worked for nothing in the private sector. Although some jobs are salaried. Managers for instance. Personally I wouldn't work under the circumstances I now find myself in for a private company. Each to their own. My charges however need support to survive so I do what has to be done. I'm nothing special.

Hallmut

The two businesses quoted don't mention being on the list and the local health Trust were obviously embarrassed so I guess these people were chancing it.
It would seem so. Was it an NHS uniform or private company Nurse?

Hallmut

I really don't know. The article is on the BBC website in the Scottish News section. Read it and draw your own conclusions.
All has become clear. This happened in England too. Small buisnesses appearing on telly (free advertising) saying they were supporting the nhs through the pandemic. Well for the nhs at least the pandemic is still ongoing. So there lies the confusion. Still no excuse for bad behaviour though, although that could come from either side.

antiquesam

All has become clear. This happened in England too. Small buisnesses appearing on telly (free advertising) saying they were supporting the nhs through the pandemic. Well for the nhs at least the pandemic is still ongoing. So there lies the confusion. Still no excuse for bad behaviour though, although that could come from either side.
I leave you to your own thoughts or delusions whichever they are.

Hallmut

Incidentally here in Leeds there are still struggling Buisnesses offering discounts to nhs staff. Obviously forward planning because they know they are still working and getting paid.

Tookey

I know NHS staff at Primary HC's who would hide their lanyards when shopping cos they believed that being able to go straight to the front of the supermarket queue and the discounts were for 'proper' frontline workers to use their expression. They were completely entitled but choose not to. Just like with many other topics on here it boils down to a minority who spoil it for everyone else :(

Hallmut

They emptied the hospital here and canceled everything.....no covid cases or any other cases in the hospital. The nurse that lives across the road told me this....all they did was go to work and clean. She didnt show her face during the clap every Thursday as she didnt want folk to clap for her. A lot of NHS staff deserve nothing!
That's sad to read. I was embarrassed by the clap for carers as well. People who care don't need that kind of praise really.

harrow

Morrisons

You'll receive special offers, discounts, treats and more.
10% discount off your shopping has been extended to 30th September
and is now valid online.

Toffeecat

I worked through the pandemic in our NHS team in the community. I won't say what I do what I see and what I experience. Its a difficult job and I can't sleep well sometimes such is the stress. Im paid ok given what i do but even with my 10% pay cut in the last 10 years choose to go to work every day. I haven't asked for any discount. Im sure others may but if folk don't want to give discounts ive got some advice. Dont give discounts. Say no.

Toffeecat

Oh nearly forgot, for those who do want to give discounts to NHS workers id advise if someone asks for a discount, say yes. But remember, if things get tough and you change your mind dont worry, see my previous post.

mariesnowgoose

I openly admit I was embarrassed by the 'clap for the NHS' nonsense too.
As were many of the medical staff I've spoken to about it.

Now if it has been us coming out to clap to reward them with a decent pay rise for their efforts, or to re-instate the nursing bursaries, or return them to their original pension provisions which have been taken away, then I'd have been out there every night at 8pm banging the metal pans like hell ! (y) :devilish: ;)

Last edited:

mariesnowgoose

I'd have been out there every night at 8pm banging like hell ! (y) :devilish: ;)
You'd have been at home on my dogging for Motorhomers website. Sorry just couldn't resist. If we ever meet I'll take the slap. :)
[/QUOTE]

Ha! I've edited post now. Probably hasn't made any difference to the interpretation :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:😁

TerryD

Free Member
The main problem has been businesses small and large offering NHS discounts then removing the discount with no notice.
BM offered 10% off for NHS and other front line staff during the pandemic, the one near me still has the big Blue posters on the doors with this offer however get to check out and you get refused.
I myself was refused at week end in here and I also pay for the Bluelight card.
Bluelight card is a scheme where businesses sign up and offer a discount to Emergency services not just NHS, Staff pay to be a member and have to supply evidence they are employed in the service, The British Forces also have there own called the Defence priviledge card or Defence discount service.
The NHS or any other employer does not ask these companies to offer there discounts to the employees, they do it to gain extra business.
There were many who offered free coffee who did not actually give the free coffee.
There were many businesses who offered freebies just to get there name out there and look like they were doing good.
Now you have NHS employees asking ( Because they are unsure )do you do discount for NHS and there may be the minority who grumble when told no but I have not seen any myself.

As for NHS sat on there bums during the pandemic, not sure where you got this from I do not know of any NHS staff that were put out of work during the pandemic, those who worked in departments that were closed got moved to other jobs, Many volunteered to work in the Nightingale Units this left empty jobs in the Main Hospitals.

Front line staff, just what are front line staff ? they all played a part and still play a part in providing care, if you are a clerk in the office does that mean your not front line ? The clocks do not turn with out the full team.

NHS pay is not so great, many hours are worked for free, overtime is not paid but given as time owed and is very hard to find time to collect your time owing due to lack of cover.
Below are example pay structure for the 4 lower banded staff within the NHS, you would of found these people working on the front line during the pandemic
The following is a guide only to NHS Terms and Conditions of Service (Agenda for Change) pay rates from April 2020.

Band 1 (Please note that following the 2018 pay deal, band 1 closed to new entrants from 1 December 2018).

< 1 year experience £18.005
1+ years £18,005

Examples of roles at band 1 - domestic support worker, housekeeping assistant, driver and nursery assistant.

Band 2

< 1 year experience £18,005
1-2 years £18,005
2-3 years £19,337
3-4 years £19,337
4-5 years £19,337
5-6 years £19,337
6+ years £19,337

Examples of roles at band 2 - domestic support worker, housekeeping assistant, driver, nursery assistant, domestic team leader, security officer, secretary/typist and healthcare assistant.

Band 3

<1 year experience £19,737
1-2 years £19,737
2-3 years £21,142
3-4 years £21,142
4-5 years £21,142
5-6 years £21,142
6+ years £21,142

Examples of roles at band 3- emergency care assistant, clinical coding officer, estates officer and occupational therapy worker.

Band 4

< 1 year experience £21,892
1-2 years £21,892
2-3 years £21,892
3-4 years £24,157
4-5 years £24,157
5-6 years £24,157
6+ years £24,157

Examples of roles at band 4 - assistant practitioner, audio visual technician, pharmacy technician, dental nurse and theatre support worker.

Last edited:

channa

The main problem has been businesses small and large offering NHS discounts then removing the discount with no notice.
BM offered 10% off for NHS and other front line staff during the pandemic, the one near me still has the big Blue posters on the doors with this offer however get to check out and you get refused.
I myself was refused at week end in here and I also pay for the Bluelight card.
Bluelight card is a scheme where businesses sign up and offer a discount to Emergency services not just NHS, Staff pay to be a member and have to supply evidence they are employed in the service, The British Forces also have there own called the Defence priviledge card or Defence discount service.
The NHS or any other employer does not ask these companies to offer there discounts to the employees, they do it to gain extra business.
There were many who offered free coffee who did not actually give the free coffee.
There were many businesses who offered freebies just to get there name out there and look like they were doing good.
Now you have NHS employees asking ( Because they are unsure )do you do discount for NHS and there may be the minority who grumble when told no but I have not seen any myself.

As for NHS sat on there bums during the pandemic, not sure where you got this from I do not know of any NHS staff that were put out of work during the pandemic, those who worked in departments that were closed got moved to other jobs, Many volunteered to work in the Nightingale Units this left empty jobs in the Main Hospitals.

Front line staff, just what are front line staff ? they all played a part and still play a part in providing care, if you are a clerk in the office does that mean your not front line ? The clocks do not turn with out the full team.

NHS pay is not so great, many hours are worked for free, overtime is not paid but given as time owed and is very hard to find time to collect your time owing due to lack of cover.
Below are example pay structure for the 4 lower banded staff within the NHS, you would of found these people working on the front line during the pandemic
The following is a guide only to NHS Terms and Conditions of Service (Agenda for Change) pay rates from April 2020.

Band 1 (Please note that following the 2018 pay deal, band 1 closed to new entrants from 1 December 2018).

< 1 year experience £18.005
1+ years £18,005

Examples of roles at band 1 - domestic support worker, housekeeping assistant, driver and nursery assistant.

Band 2

< 1 year experience £18,005
1-2 years £18,005
2-3 years £19,337
3-4 years £19,337
4-5 years £19,337
5-6 years £19,337
6+ years £19,337

Examples of roles at band 2 - domestic support worker, housekeeping assistant, driver, nursery assistant, domestic team leader, security officer, secretary/typist and healthcare assistant.

Band 3

<1 year experience £19,737
1-2 years £19,737
2-3 years £21,142
3-4 years £21,142
4-5 years £21,142
5-6 years £21,142
6+ years £21,142

Examples of roles at band 3- emergency care assistant, clinical coding officer, estates officer and occupational therapy worker.

Band 4

< 1 year experience £21,892
1-2 years £21,892
2-3 years £21,892
3-4 years £24,157
4-5 years £24,157
5-6 years £24,157
6+ years £24,157

Examples of roles at band 4 - assistant practitioner, audio visual technician, pharmacy technician, dental nurse and theatre support worker.
I see first hand with hosi visit every other day what is involved and the staff on my ward are a good bunch sometimes having to deal with acute situations, the covid has added extra workload but all get on with it cherfullly. Including the unpaid work.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:200)

Edina, mark61, Hallmut, Val54, Neckender, HurricaneSmith, rugbyken, 1807truckman, Fisherman, Chip, iampatman, wildebus, SimonM, Debroos, TeamRienza, maureenandtom, campervanannie, Steve and Julie, sparrks, Andysm, mariesnowgoose, groyne, Justjack, izwozral, yorkshireCPLE, reiverlad, mistericeman, Mikael, Tonybvi, 2cv, terrywolf, eeek, Tookey, denmar, Nidge, myvanwy, Haaamster, oppy, GinaRon, Nigel L, helen262, yorkslass, Austin J2, channa, Martin P, ton27, brian c, harrow, scampa, Clummzie, tripper, Arnold, Alberto, Luckheart, sapper, Mash369, colinmd, benellioldman, DotArnot, Goggles, matt2606, molly 2, jeanette, Canalsman, GreggBear, NeilyG, JopW, REC, Wooie1958, Obanboy666, keith49, katv, Robp71, sherry, Bigshug, AllanD, jmg, Toffeecat, Rach, TJBi, ian1950, Scotia, zzr1400tim, Nabsim, Rolli, highlandron, jann, Fazerloz, Trismegistus8, r4dent, jeffmossy, Sky, red ted, Sharon the Cat, ironman, Wully, bobemmo29, caledonia, Monkeybrand, st3v3, Moonraker 2, belbri, Brian the snail, yorkieowl, Rai3458, Lee, Jennyldb, i0mark0i, clareandpeter, Jimmyc, yeoblade, trixie88, David26, mikegasgas, Rooneydog, runnach, KJW, Meloc8, thenomads, snowie, mikejay, Pierre leGrim, Maureen, GMB, Robina, Tezza33, kingfisher1, delicagirl, dunfillin, clarkpeacock, GWAYGWAY, kevlakes, toasty, martinmartin, PawneePilot, Poacher, vtwinner, Ken, shader, Greenwayjay, mrdon, Fitzykar, Cass, Tuppence, TerryD, charlie356, Tim120, mjvw, hayhiker, barryd, Tapfitter, james1508, Amethyst, janj, flav, Lightning, Pablo59, vanmandan, mid4did, The laird, Wee camper, redhand, Jean, eddyt, Cris, witzend, Biggarmac, Martin gaze, Saratoga, vwalan, Snapster, barlicker, Dulvil, Cideray, Norfolk Jim, Dogeared, terry111, westphalian, 955itriple, Robmac, Mick Jordan, ChrisInNotts, trevskoda, tribute11, Jeff G, Jus, mygrassisblue, Fraseb01, Aly, peters877, barge1914, mofish, Jacko2912, Kat0, alwaysared, smg, Davo11, Fatboy09, Larnie, Mandoman,