NHS staff demanding discounts and freebies?

mariesnowgoose

We do. I work for my Local Council now. All Public sector workers in England are entitled to discount from whoever signs up for the scheme, including Firemen. There is however no excuse whatsoever to abuse someone who refuses. You just report them to the company who has arranged (with them) the discounts and they investigate. Maybe some frustration but no excuse for bad behaviour. I've never used the discount scheme either.
So, does that mean that all these 'discounts' have been pre-arranged by the businesses with the NHS then?

antiquesam

Maybe he should revoke his agreement with the company who organises the discounts then?. It's really very simple. Or is he hoping to stay on the list for better times?. Can't have it both ways. You may not understand how the system works, I accept that.
Sorry you've lost me. these people aren't on any list.

izwozral

Mentioned this a few weeks ago on another thread. A cousin who is a nurse in Barrow and her neighbor were inundated with freebies to the point where they said to us, tongue in cheek, they were sick to death of it all.
They handed some of the gifts to the elderly on the street.

To ask for a discount and not receive it, then to abuse the person smacks of self entitlement and bad manners.

Thank goodness not all people are like that.

Hallmut

Sorry you've lost me. these people aren't on any list.
They are. We get a list of all the company's who offer discounts to public sector workers. If they haven't agreed they need to approach their Local Council to find out why they are on it. You can't blame the people who have been given the list.

mariesnowgoose

Mentioned this a few weeks ago on another thread. A cousin who is a nurse in Barrow and her neighbor were inundated with freebies to the point where they said to us, tongue in cheek, they were sick to death of it all.
They handed some of the gifts to the elderly on the street.

To ask for a discount and not receive it, then to abuse the person smacks of self entitlement and bad manners.

Thank goodness not all people are like that.
Same feedback reported here and elsewhere around the country, Ral.

I don't think anyone mentioned the NHS being free, have I missed something?
All they have to do is remove themselves from the list for Nhs staff discounts. Put a polite notice in their window stating this. Let's hope the NHS don't do the same though. 'Sorry strapped for cash- private patients only'.

Hallmut

So, does that mean that all these 'discounts' have been pre-arranged by the businesses with the NHS then?
The Buisnesses should have been approached and should have agreed. Considering the number of public sector workers (millions) any buisness would be foolish not to agree.

mariesnowgoose

The Buisnesses should have been approached and should have agreed. Considering the number of public sector workers (millions) any buisness would be foolish not to agree.
So that suggests that the businesses in question had agreed to go on the discount list.

Maybe there has been unprecedented demand due to C-19 and they've realised it hasn't actually worked in their favour over the longer term? :unsure:

Got to be a reason, unless it's just fake or story-twisted news with some of the pertinent facts conveniently left out to turn it into more of a controversial news item?

Hallmut

Same feedback reported here and elsewhere around the country, Ral.
Yep I used to get freebies to encourage me to visit stores restaurants etc. Vouchers for Maccies, various curry emporiums, M@S, B@Q, holiday cottages, you name and I've probably had promotions from them.

mariesnowgoose

Yep I used to get freebies to encourage me to visit stores restaurants etc. Vouchers for Maccies, various curry emporiums, M@S, B@Q, holiday cottages, you name and I've probably had promotions from them.
Well McD, M&S and B&Q are all big players.

As for holiday lets, a property let at a discount rate is way better than a property standing empty.
The nature of that particular type of business means you can't go back and get the money retrospectively.
Same for any type of holiday accommodation.

With food outlets such as curry houses, the profit on meal production can be pretty large to start with, so a discount shouldn't knock their overall profits too badly.

Hallmut

So that suggests that the businesses in question had agreed to go on the discount list.

Maybe there has been unprecedented demand due to C-19 and they've realised it hasn't actually worked in their favour over the longer term? :unsure:

Got to be a reason, unless it's just fake or story-twisted news with some of the pertinent facts conveniently left out to turn it into more of a controversial news item?
Yep these firms agreed. In normal times it would be very lucrative. The Unions also agree discounts with companies as well. Anyone who's in a public sector Union should know this.

mariesnowgoose

Yep these firms agreed. In normal times it would be very lucrative. The Unions also agree discounts with companies as well. Anyone who's in a public sector Union should know this.
I think that's the important bit, 'in normal times'.

These are far from normal times so I suspect that for quite a few businesses who signed up for this initially it hasn't worked out so well, especially if they are smaller businesses?

antiquesam

They are. We get a list of all the company's who offer discounts to public sector workers. If they haven't agreed they need to approach their Local Council to find out why they are on it. You can't blame the people who have been given the list.
I'm sorry but it is possible to ask for a discount without someone being on the list. You know you just chance it.

Hallmut

I think that's the important bit, 'in normal times'.

These are far from normal times so I suspect that for quite a few businesses who signed up for this initially it hasn't worked out so well, especially if they are smaller businesses?
Thinking about it sensibly, they are probably struggling but giving discounts can help to increase footfall in the long run. Really difficult times for all. Even we aren't getting paid overtime and have had our wages reduced. Mine personally by 7 hours per week.

Hallmut

I'm sorry but it is possible to ask for a discount without someone being on the list. You know you just chance it.
Of course. We all can. My partner used to be completely embarrassed when I haggled. I was a mechanic then so no 'freebies'.
Once we were bying two waterproof jackets and I refused to leave without them throwing in a lightweight backpacking stove for free. Must be the Scottish blood in me.

Hallmut

Thinking about it sensibly, they are probably struggling but giving discounts can help to increase footfall in the long run. Really difficult times for all. Even we aren't getting paid overtime and have had our wages reduced. Mine personally by 7 hours per week.
It's why I got so passionate about the first post. People just dont see the sacrifices made by most public sector workers in Health and Social care. You just don't clock off at 5.00pm. You have a start time and that's it. I used to do 75 hour weeks in the NHS. Repairing and maintaining equipment in peoples homes, nursing homes and Hospitals. All on a basic 39hr wage. Why? because families and carers were relying on you, as well as the patient of course.

Last edited:

eeek

They emptied the hospital here and canceled everything.....no covid cases or any other cases in the hospital. The nurse that lives across the road told me this....all they did was go to work and clean. She didnt show her face during the clap every Thursday as she didnt want folk to clap for her. A lot of NHS staff deserve nothing!

antiquesam

However hard you work and however much compassion you show at work it should not be hard to see the suffering being experienced by those in other sectors. You can tell me about the health service people working long hours, just as teachers tell us the same thing but it's just the same in the private sector. I worked for many years for a finance house and regularly worked from 9 until 9 on a fixed salary and as a lorry driver I could go out in the morning expecting to be home at night and end up out for the week on a fixed monthly pay.

Hallmut

Just to add, iff you mean pretending to work for a public service then you have to produce your id badge or union membership.

antiquesam

Just to add, iff you mean pretending to work for a public service then you have to produce your id badge or union membership.
I think one of the examples the woman was wearing a nurses uniform. The local Co-op gives a discount to students and NHS staff but my local chippy doesn't, nor the sweet shop, but they did have a collection and sent a big box of sweets to the hospital.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:216)

Edina, mark61, Hallmut, Val54, Neckender, HurricaneSmith, rugbyken, 1807truckman, Fisherman, Chip, iampatman, wildebus, SimonM, Debroos, TeamRienza, maureenandtom, campervanannie, Steve and Julie, sparrks, Andysm, mariesnowgoose, groyne, Justjack, izwozral, yorkshireCPLE, reiverlad, mistericeman, Mikael, Tonybvi, 2cv, terrywolf, eeek, Tookey, denmar, Nidge, myvanwy, Haaamster, oppy, GinaRon, Nigel L, helen262, yorkslass, Austin J2, channa, Martin P, ton27, brian c, harrow, scampa, Clummzie, tripper, Arnold, Alberto, Luckheart, sapper, Mash369, colinmd, benellioldman, DotArnot, Goggles, matt2606, molly 2, jeanette, Canalsman, GreggBear, NeilyG, JopW, REC, Wooie1958, Obanboy666, keith49, katv, Robp71, sherry, Bigshug, AllanD, jmg, Toffeecat, Rach, TJBi, ian1950, Scotia, zzr1400tim, Nabsim, Rolli, highlandron, jann, Fazerloz, Trismegistus8, r4dent, jeffmossy, Sky, red ted, Sharon the Cat, ironman, Wully, bobemmo29, caledonia, Monkeybrand, st3v3, Moonraker 2, belbri, Brian the snail, yorkieowl, Rai3458, Lee, Jennyldb, i0mark0i, clareandpeter, Jimmyc, yeoblade, trixie88, David26, mikegasgas, Rooneydog, runnach, KJW, Meloc8, thenomads, snowie, mikejay, Pierre leGrim, Maureen, GMB, Robina, Tezza33, kingfisher1, delicagirl, dunfillin, clarkpeacock, GWAYGWAY, kevlakes, toasty, martinmartin, PawneePilot, Poacher, vtwinner, Ken, shader, Greenwayjay, mrdon, Fitzykar, Cass, Tuppence, TerryD, charlie356, Tim120, mjvw, hayhiker, barryd, Tapfitter, james1508, Amethyst, janj, flav, Lightning, Pablo59, vanmandan, mid4did, The laird, Wee camper, redhand, Jean, eddyt, Cris, witzend, Biggarmac, Martin gaze, Saratoga, vwalan, Snapster, barlicker, Dulvil, Cideray, Norfolk Jim, Dogeared, terry111, westphalian, 955itriple, Robmac, Mick Jordan, ChrisInNotts, trevskoda, tribute11, Jeff G, Jus, mygrassisblue, Fraseb01, Aly, peters877, barge1914, mofish, Jacko2912, Kat0, alwaysared, smg, Davo11, Fatboy09, Larnie, Mandoman, peterobinson, Tull, RSD7a, DavidRoberts, BlueToo, poohbur26, Tbear, The Hawk, mr. badolki, forthpilot, yorkscol, mrlobby, Computerkid, Greytop, Gazzr, davej,