New Tyre

Asterix

Free Member
I've just been given a brand new tyre for my truck,I checked the date on it and my brand new tyre is actually 9 years old but in new condition. I recall back in the 70s or 80s being told that rubber improves with age, providing it's not exposed to light,but now the advice seems to be a ten year age limit.
Would you use it?

It is common for a "brand new" tyre to be 6 months old or even a year. But 9 years old? hope it was cheap!!

It is oxygen which is the main element responsible for rubber deterioration. I wouldn't even consider using it at that age, but not mine and not my van. Good luck with it.

When ins co and the law changes which it will soon i think there talking about a 6 year age limit.:hammer:

I've just been given a brand new tyre for my truck,I checked the date on it and my brand new tyre is actually 9 years old but in new condition. I recall back in the 70s or 80s being told that rubber improves with age, providing it's not exposed to light,but now the advice seems to be a ten year age limit.
Would you use it?

Your thinking of condoms ?

I hope there will be an age limit imposed - you seem to be guaranteeing a 20 year old tyre is fit for purpose? Really? You endanger yourself and other motorists in my opinion with these rather archaic views. There is plenty of info and graphs available on line describing how tyres deteriorate, delaminate, crack with age and how this accelerates quickly as the tyre gets older. Bob

Last edited:
I hope there will be an age limit imposed - you seem to be guaranteeing a 20 year old tyre is fit for purpose? Really? You endanger yourself and other motorists in my opinion with these rather archaic views. There is plenty of info and graphs available on line describing how tyres deteriorate, delaminate, crack with age and how this accelerates quickly as the tyre gets older. Bob

Can you provide a link please to one that has been done by someone totally independent and not financed in any way by anyone with a vested interest in the tyre industy.

Well how can you prove independence? I can't believe that some of you think a piece of 10 to 20 year old rubber is safe to use on a heavy vehicle. Every one to their own I suppose. I'm no expert but just seems common sense on safety grounds.

It seems they main advice for older tyres is to check for cracks in the tyre wall it's surprising how many vehicles are on the road with very old tyres, m any agricultural vehicles, ice cream vans and horse boxes mind you these don't travey at the speeds that motor caravans travel at but I doubt that their tyres get checked either. Most advice given by company's is more concerned with the financial inplications if anything should go wrong than any tyre durability.

Alf

Well how can you prove independence? I can't believe that some of you think a piece of 10 to 20 year old rubber is safe to use on a heavy vehicle. Every one to their own I suppose. I'm no expert but just seems common sense on safety grounds.

i take it that’s a “NO” then and you are right in the fact that you are no expert and it’s not some it’s just one of us that has said a 20 year old tyre will be ok IF stored right.

i take it that’s a “NO” then and you are right in the fact that you are no expert and it’s not some it’s just one of us that has said a 20 year old tyre will be ok IF stored right.

Wow, were you a bully at school. Doesn't take anyone to debate with some of you folks who have loads of posts which seems to give you a greater entitlement to be always correct (in your eyes) I omitted that I think a 10 year old tyre must surely be getting near the end of its life, but as you say I'm no expert lol Bob

one of my tractors , tyres were second hand when i fitted them.... somewhere arround 1990.... got a few perishing cracks but still hold air. doesnt get used on the road. and ive got a spare pair of rears in the shed.... about a tenner on fleabay a few years ago, at a guess new ones would be several hundred each.

tother two are still on the tyres that they were on when i bought them... could even be the origional 1970's fit. again ive a spare pair of shod rear wheels just in case. fronts are 750 /16 so old landrover tyres will fit on the rims.

Thanks all for the replies,I had a feeling there would be no definitive answer,and the varying replies seem to back that up. I'm quite happy to use the tyre,but I'll probably put it on the drive axle and swap one of them to the steer,I think one of my steer tyres is slightly out of round as I'm getting vibration at around 50mph,which is my usual cruising speed,that can then become my spare.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back