New Legislation on unauthorised encampments

Gnomus

Have decided to respond to the consultation on unauthorised encampments as I am worried that in time Motorhome users casually parking up for the night might get caught up in this. More importantly we all know some travellers cause problems but these are already illegal. It seems to me that in a tolerant society we value and tolerate the freedom to have alternative lifestyles, we dont stamp them out because its cheaper and easier than enforcing existing laws or providing enough sites.

Motorhomes are already caught up the is no might about it.

Remember the informal meets people organise here (not under the umbrella of wild camping or sister company) will be treated as an illegal encampment if there are two vans or more. Eg the drove at the solstice pub car parks can be classed as public spaces

Some wild campers can be equally as anti social leaving litter as travellers do

How do you differentiate from a legal standpoint? Then there is the race laws to consider and discrimination

There are laws ,by laws and other legislation in place , no need for further rules (legislation)

I think we are treading a fine line and need to be careful what we wish for

I responded to it ages ago, I see it as a threat to anywhere there are two vans or one car and caravan. Any rules, regs and laws are already in place and no more needed.
i find myself moving more to what I was in my late teens/ early 20’s as time passes, come the revolution as Wolfe Smith used to say 👍

I responded to it ages ago, I see it as a threat to anywhere there are two vans or one car and caravan. Any rules, regs and laws are already in place and no more needed.
i find myself moving more to what I was in my late teens/ early 20’s as time passes, come the revolution as Wolfe Smith used to say 👍
There won’t be a revolution we are British the only thing we are good at it queuing. 😂😂

Scary similarities to the language used in circular published by Heinrich Himmler in 1938 called 'Combating the Gypsy Nuisance', Lest we forget!. This could not only used against motorhomers but also against protestors who set up a camp to get their voice heard. Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is definitely not a man who likes anyone disagreeing with him or anyone getting in his way!

Scary similarities to the language used in circular published by Heinrich Himmler in 1938 called 'Combating the Gypsy Nuisance', Lest we forget!. This could not only used against motorhomers but also against protestors who set up a camp to get their voice heard. Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is definitely not a man who likes anyone disagreeing with him or anyone getting in his way!
Problem is one truck pulls in and others follow.
german campers.png

Motorhomes are already caught up the is no might about it.

Remember the informal meets people organise here (not under the umbrella of wild camping or sister company) will be treated as an illegal encampment if there are two vans or more. Eg the drove at the solstice pub car parks can be classed as public spaces

Some wild campers can be equally as anti social leaving litter as travellers do

How do you differentiate from a legal standpoint? Then there is the race laws to consider and discrimination

There are laws ,by laws and other legislation in place , no need for further rules (legislation)

I think we are treading a fine line and need to be careful what we wish for
best wishes to you and yours, all the best, ok.pj t.t.f.n

You can certainly see why they want to put legislation in place when the FUNSTERS turn up and take over a car park. Semi organised rally with about 20 motorhomes from the Motorhome Fun site taking part. Its hardly keeping a low profile. Looks more like a gypsy camp. The only thing thats missing is the caravans.

Have a LOOK HERE

If people are going to act like this then legislation is probably the only way to give the Local Authority powers to control it. Locals were complaining that they could not park.

You can certainly see why they want to put legislation in place when the FUNSTERS turn up and take over a car park. Semi organised rally with about 20 motorhomes from the Motorhome Fun site taking part. Its hardly keeping a low profile. Looks more like a gypsy camp. The only thing thats missing is the caravans.

Have a LOOK HERE

If people are going to act like this then legislation is probably the only way to give the Local Authority powers to control it. Locals were complaining that they could not park.

Read your article Qfour, and to be honest for once it was a balanced and took into consideration the complete lack of facilities, proposing joined up thinking throughout Scotland to deal with this issue.
Yes I agree that such behaviour is completely unreasonable and should not be tolerated. I for one would never take part in such a gathering. This kind of selfish behaviour only feeds bad feeling towards us. If I lived in Pitlochry I would be up in arms myself.
But moves are afoot up here to DEAL with this issue, Fife council are to be praised for their forward thinking.
Simply putting up barriers and signage moving the issue elsewhere is not the solution, what’s required are Clear guidelines backed up with some finance, which should be cost neutral with charges being applied. Something along the lines of what’s happening at Loch Ore.
Yes let’s put legislation in place, but that legislation must primarily take into account the needs of local communities, and to a lesser degree the needs of Motorhome users as well. After all Pitlochry itself has Motorhome users as do all other parts of Scotland.

The proposed legislation is nothing new George Smith in the 1890’ s tried to introduce legislation “ controlling the movements of the travelling people” it was vehemently opposed by the showman’s guild and equivalent gypsy council not because they like each other, circus,faigroundvfolk and the Romas but they could foresee an infringement of liberty to travel

In the case of the showman’s guild , it really gave it momentum to be what it is today , and the relationship with the gypsy council is still as tenuous.

It seems over 100 years later we are still having the same old arguments

Moveable dwellings bill was the proposed legislation defeated and formed the formation of the United Kingdom van dwellers association in 1889 ,,, this bill as a subject of interest is one of the reasons British showpeople have traditionally strong bonds

Times have changed Motorhomes are now outselling caravans.
We have a generation who are retired or nearing retirement with many financially secure and more able to buy expensive Motorhomes than before. They buy Motorhomes for many reasons, but the main reason is the freedom that they offer through self sufficiency. Camp sites are fine I use them myself, but we enjoy wild camping also, and in various types of locations from wildernesses to small towns and villages. Sometimes it gives us access to hills, were there are no campsites.
But each year brings more and more Motorhomes. Also some councils have supported projects like the NC500, without giving much thought fully to what’s required by those taking part.

So this new Law will apply if 3 motorhomes arrive at the same place? Is the number of vehicles the offence? Will the owners be prosecuted even if they are not infringing any local byelaws or TRO'?

So this new Law will apply if 3 motorhomes arrive at the same place? Is the number of vehicles the offence? Will the owners be prosecuted even if they are not infringing any local byelaws or TRO'?
Two vans or motorhomes Jim or one car and caravan. Not sure if a car and trailer counts or not

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back