New Laws

Quoting from the article 'Under the proposals, travellers who ignore a landowner’s request to move their vehicles on will face arrest under ‘intentional trespass’ laws carrying a three-month maximum prison sentence or a fine of up to £2,500, or both.' It seems unlikely that a night at a CR our CU, provided that no legally enforceable restrictions are displayed, will come under 'intentional trespass', especially if you move on if the landowner requests.

I seem to remember that a camp is defined as five van's at the moment but will change to two under the proposal. I suppose if you find a nice quiet spot by yourself it's fine. Someone turns up and parks next to you then your on your way to the station in a police van and your van is on the way to the scrapyard.

I suppose it will depend on the police at the end of the day. Primarily it appears to be targeting gypsies and travellers but it is conceivable that a couple of bored policemen could get a bit anti with a wildcamper?

I see the paper says....
Under the proposals, travellers who ignore a landowner’s request to move their vehicles on will face arrest under ‘intentional trespass’ laws”
Then goes on to qualify it with this.....
It is understood police will be able to use the powers where intruders are causing ‘significant damage, disruption or distress’, such as ‘interference with utility supplies, excessive noise pollution, or litter’.

So, if they don’t make a mess or cause a nuisance, police will have no power to act ..

Its about time this came about, where my wife used to work the broke the gates down across the road and entered a window and gutter making biz, then started to smash the place up and demanded 20 grand to move out, took police a few day to move them because there is always a few girls about to give birth or with a newborn, they know how to work the system.
Dont think it will cause you over on mainland if you read between the lines, just dont talk with a southern Irish accent. 😂

Then goes on to qualify it with this.....
It is understood police will be able to use the powers where intruders are causing ‘significant damage, disruption or distress’, such as ‘interference with utility supplies, excessive noise pollution, or litter’.

So, if they don’t make a mess or cause a nuisance, police will have no power to act ..

That's very similar to the present criminal trespass.

Was this law just Portugal ??. Post on motorhomer

Last edited:
The article says if they don’t leave when the landowner asks them to, then it’s an offence, but, in reality, they have to make a mess or nuisance for the offence to be complete.
So, anyone wildcamping quietly ( like we all do, won’t have anything to worry about.
Not unless your name is Murphy.

Are not many of the locations "Public Land" especially lay-by s
And also "big laybys typically created by roads having been re-aligned.
I cannot think of many places that we have used that were private land.

Yes secluded car parks in forest are likely to be on private land but as i sugest below ..if they are public car parks ???????
The car park at Torlundy springs to mind
The North Face Car Park Torlundy Fort William PH33 6SR

The status of the 2 car-parks just south of Sleights is of interest..
They may be on private land (eg National park) but they are public car parks ?

CR Blue Bank/Sleights Moor 2 (N Yorkshire)

2 motorhomes scarcely merit being called a camp ..BUT the laaw now says they are.. What if you are at opposite ends of a big area ? Legally a camp I guess.
Maybe common sense will apply MOST of the time. Problem being of course if you are behaving properly and a 2nd "nuisance motorhome/caravan" plons down ear you.

Last edited:
Police will be able to arrest anyone suspected of ‘intentional trespass’ and seize their vehicles if they refuse to move on.

Taken from the second line of the article so ...............................................................

In my simple mind you will only become a naughty person if you refuse to move on or have i got a different version to everyone else ?

It's a waste of time reading what's reported in the papers or on tv . They always get it wrong to support a sensational headline. You've got to wait for the legislation then use google to read it yourself.

It's a waste of time reading what's reported in the papers or on tv . They always get it wrong to support a sensational headline. You've got to wait for the legislation then use google to read it yourself.
Google spymaster you must be having a larf.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back