New car

Toffeecat

hi all, as you may know my octavia broke down for the forth time in 97000 miles. So as I'm considering a different car a 4x4 I wondered that as wildcamping has saved me ££££ on motorhome stuff could you guys save me from buying another piece of rubbish and maybe swap stories on good and bad cars. For me I've had a few.
Fiat punto mk 1 and 2. High Miles v reliable, only one coil went in 200,000 miles. Cheap parts too. Ford focus amazing handling ok build reliable. Citroën c5 2 litre. Great for 30000 miles then it fell to bits. Both front window motors died, rear washer died, bits fell off inside, then the track rod snapped in half resulting in the suspension collapsed. And the skoda, injector failed, egr valve failed, injector clamp failed and clutch slave cylinder died. So surprisingly it was my fiats that were best. Oh nearly forgot, my wife's Toyota based c1 in 60000 miles never broke and my Aventis 110000 miles and one bulb died. Maybe another Toyota?? Or fiat??

Hallmut

Nissan Qashqai? You now have a choice of two 1300cc petrol engines. 130bhp or 150bhp as well as the diesel offerings. Avoid 19" alloys as the ride is spine crushing. I've had a 2010 1.5 diesel and now have a 1.6 J11 petrol model (sadly no longer produced). This was going to be the 300bhp Nismo model but sold that well the Japanese decided against the nismo tuning. However it retained all the important bits like multilink suspension, powerfull brakes and a detuned track ready engine. Enough of the bull. Both vehicles have been very reliable and a joy to drive. Qashqai's aren't to everyones taste though. Standard equipment usually surpasses that of other vehicles. My friend is gutted that his £45,000 Merc has less things to play with.

izwozral

Best car I've ever had was a Saab 9-5 Tdi, had all the bells and whistles, never let me down, luxury motoring on a shoe string.

mariesnowgoose

Nissan Qashqai? You now have a choice of two 1300cc petrol engines. 130bhp or 150bhp as well as the diesel offerings. Avoid 19" alloys as the ride is spine crushing. I've had a 2010 1.5 diesel and now have a 1.6 J11 petrol model (sadly no longer produced). This was going to be the 300bhp Nismo model but sold that well the Japanese decided against the nismo tuning. However it retained all the important bits like multilink suspension, powerfull brakes and a detuned track ready engine. Enough of the bull. Both vehicles have been very reliable and a joy to drive. Qashqai's aren't to everyones taste though. Standard equipment usually surpasses that of other vehicles. My friend is gutted that his £45,000 Merc has less things to play with.
You can say that again!

One of the ugliest designed vehicles I've ever clapped eyes on 😜😂😂😂😉

oppy

Our 11 year old Kia Ce ed sport wagen auto has had 1 new battery and that was when we returned from Portugal earlier this year and 1 set of tyres and is the most reliable car we have ever owned, not the prettiest though, but for an 11 year old diesel auto it aint bad
IMG_5019.JPG

2cv

You can say that again!

One of the ugliest designed vehicles I've ever clapped eyes on 😜😂😂😂😉
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I quite like my Qashqai and it has been pretty reliable over the 7 years I’ve had it. The ride is quite firm on 19 inch wheels.

mickymost

hi all, as you may know my octavia broke down for the forth time in 97000 miles. So as I'm considering a different car a 4x4 I wondered that as wildcamping has saved me ££££ on motorhome stuff could you guys save me from buying another piece of rubbish and maybe swap stories on good and bad cars. For me I've had a few.
Fiat punto mk 1 and 2. High Miles v reliable, only one coil went in 200,000 miles. Cheap parts too. Ford focus amazing handling ok build reliable. Citroën c5 2 litre. Great for 30000 miles then it fell to bits. Both front window motors died, rear washer died, bits fell off inside, then the track rod snapped in half resulting in the suspension collapsed. And the skoda, injector failed, egr valve failed, injector clamp failed and clutch slave cylinder died. So surprisingly it was my fiats that were best. Oh nearly forgot, my wife's Toyota based c1 in 60000 miles never broke and my Aventis 110000 miles and one bulb died. Maybe another Toyota?? Or fiat??

So "F ix I t A gain T omorrow' seems you were lucky with Fiat but Toyota or Honda may be the way to go?

Tookey

Bias Alert!

If you want a sensibly priced 4x4 then a Mitsubishi Delica is worth at least some consideration

trevskoda

No point in a hybrid as still service parts required like ex pipe starter clutch head gaskets etc,go all electric or buy a small petrol for now.

mark61

Used Touaregs are a lot of motor for the money.

Get the Altitude model with a rear diff lock and you'll be pulling all the other 4x4's out of trouble, barring G Wagens off course. :)

clarkpeacock

I
I recently changed my Suzuki Vitara SZ5 4x4 1.6 diesel for a Mitsubishi Outlander Dynamic PHEV. I have to say I would change back to the Vitara in a heartbeat. Beats the Mitsubishi on comfort, ride, gadgets, power and particularly economy, plus it is much cheaper. Just a shame they don't make a diesel any more.

Only chose the outlander because it's company provided, and the BIK is around half that of the Suzuki because diesels attract a tax premium now. Crazy as in real life driving, the outlander is returning about 38mpg whereas the Vitara averaged 65mpg over the three years I had it.

For a private buy, the Vitara would take some beating.

Toffeecat

I need a 4x4 cos when I go up the dales in winter or Scotland when its reet bad I need a 4x4. Sick of getting stuck. So far the list of cars is (dont laugh at the first one)

Fiat Panda Cross (amazing of road)
Suzuki Jimney (old style)
Suzuki Vitara

and a modern one Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 (friends got one and its ok)
Like Volvos
Toyotas