New camp site

Repairing rather than replacing is the norm with older vehicle as new parts become difficult to source. 😉👍😂

And very expensive to purchase, I do have an addiction for classics though.
It’s a labour of love. I sold my 1964 Hillman Super Minx just before we moved a couple of years ago. It was sad to see it go but I had fun in it and got my money back.

It’s a labour of love. I sold my 1964 Hillman Super Minx just before we moved a couple of years ago. It was sad to see it go but I had fun in it and got my money back.
I had a hillman imp 998 fitted with wills rings R23 cam Jan speed manifold and twin 40 webber and a stiffening plate on the block. This was in a classic sidecar I was building but sold it to a guy in Belgium.

I had a hillman imp 998 fitted with wills rings R23 cam Jan speed manifold and twin 40 webber and a stiffening plate on the block. This was in a classic sidecar I was building but sold it to a guy in Belgium.
Great engine the Coventry climax...

The original design was detuned by lowering the compression ratio after almost all the press release fleet were wrecked on testing in Scotland.

Great engine the Coventry climax...

The original design was detuned by lowering the compression ratio after almost all the press release fleet were wrecked on testing in Scotland.
I was told by a guy that was racing imps when they were popular in sidecar before the Yamaha TZ knocked them off the podium that you could go to the factory and have an engine built to what spec you requested.

I was told by a guy that was racing imps when they were popular in sidecar before the Yamaha TZ knocked them off the podium that you could go to the factory and have an engine built to what spec you requested.
I think at times they would supply engines to anyone that wanted them....
Hence them ending up in all sorts of applications...
Forklift trucks to portable fire pumps (though Godiva was a section of CC)
And numerous race cars....

A much maligned British engine maker that an awful lot of folks don't know much about sadly.

I think at times they would supply engines to anyone that wanted them....
Hence them ending up in all sorts of applications...
Forklift trucks to portable fire pumps (though Godiva was a section of CC)
And numerous race cars....

A much maligned British engine maker that an awful lot of folks don't know much about sadly.
I thought it was first designed to power fire pumps then someone saw the all alloy engine and put it into a racing speed boat.

I thought it was first designed to power fire pumps then someone saw the all alloy engine and put it into a racing speed boat.
Started off as a power plant for various car manufacturers
Abbey, AJS, Albatros, Ashton-Evans, Bayliss-Thomas, Clyno, Crossley Motors, Crouch Motors, GWK, and D. M. K. Marendaz, Morgan Motor Co, Triumph, Swift, and Standard.

with the closure of Swift it was adapted as a power plant for generators...
Then on to fire pumps and trailered fire pumps...

Eventually becoming the 'Colt' I think....

They also had a great range of marine diesels and even developed a v8 version
The FWMV V8

64eac561-69a1-4c64-b8e2-8b61b6f2bcf3.jpeg

Bringing this back on topic and to a conclusion this morning I drove Murky to Manor tyres to have the tracking and alignment set.
This is parts and associated work done, most not necessary. Though whilst your there is just bad manors not to keep going.
Axle and stub axels from Betty.
All the wheel bearings replaced.
Brake calipers stripped and seal kit fitted with new pistons.
New brake hoses.
New brake pipes to the master cylinder and from the caliper to the hose.
New Brake pads.
New anti-roll bar bushes.
New drag link.
New gas dampers.

That lot shouldn't need touching for a while, other than checking the wheel bearing free play.
(Don't preload the wheel bearings!, that couldn't have help along with brake binding)

So considering the age of the vehicle and the miles we cover, still a cheap rebuild.
And the bonus is it drives nicer too.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back