narurally immune

So, talking to a good friend today.

His daughter is a staff nurse at one of the big regional hospitals up north.

In November they had one ward dedicated to Covid admissions. They now have three 😕

On top of that they are dangerously short staffed with many medical staff off sick or isolating.

She has been moved from ward to ward to cover emergencies and this last week has often been working on her own with no support. Situation has been so desperate that where she is unsure of medicine dosages etc. she has been told to “google it”. She’s only a young lass in her twenties and is shattered. She and one other person are the only ones who haven’t tested positive for Covid on the ward she was originally assigned too, all the others are off sick or isolating.

That’s how desperate it is folks, and that’s just one hospital. You don’t have to be Einstein to work out situation is likely to be fairly similar across the country.

Just sayin’

Btw - @jeanette - the guy we both know who died from Covid the Wednesday before Christmas was unvaccinated. All the family were anti-vax and no one had been vaccinated. So sad. They will never know now if he would have survived if he’d been vaccinated 😢

In November they had one ward dedicated to Covid admissions. They now have three 😕

On top of that they are dangerously short staffed with many medical staff off sick or isolating.

She has been moved from ward to ward to cover emergencies and this last week has often been working on her own with no support. Situation has been so desperate that where she is unsure of medicine dosages etc. she has been told to “google it”. She’s only a young lass in her twenties and is shattered. She and one other person are the only ones who haven’t tested positive for Covid on the ward she was originally assigned too, all the others are off sick or isolating.

That’s how desperate it is folks, and that’s just one hospital. You don’t have to be Einstein to work out situation is likely to be fairly similar across the country.

Just sayin’

Btw - @jeanette - the guy we both know who died from Covid the Wednesday before Christmas was unvaccinated. All the family were anti-vax and no one had been vaccinated. So sad. They will never know now if he would have survived if he’d been vaccinated 😢

A friend of mine died last Thursday Marie. He hadn't been vaccinated.

Just sayin’

Whilst I understand how desperate the NHS is and lack of nursing staff I cannot see any nurse being told to Google medicine dosages as all patients medication and what dosage to administer is on the patient records usually hung on the clipboard at the end of each bed lawyers would have a field day with that one should it get out, my hospital is so short of nurses that my joint juice has been delayed should have had it early December they do not know when they can book me in and I had my pre juice bloods done I expect that’s so any temporary nurse doesn’t have to Google my dosage. ( sorry couldn’t help throwing that one in) .

Whilst I understand how desperate the NHS is and lack of nursing staff I cannot see any nurse being told to Google medicine dosages as all patients medication and what dosage to administer is on the patient records usually hung on the clipboard at the end of each bed lawyers would have a field day with that one should it get out, my hospital is so short of nurses that my joint juice has been delayed should have had it early December they do not know when they can book me in and I had my pre juice bloods done I expect that’s so any temporary nurse doesn’t have to Google my dosage. ( sorry couldn’t help throwing that one in) .

Lawyers probably *will* have a field day down the line, Annie, problem is what can you do about the seriousness of the situation right now. If a whole ward loses all of its staff for a few days due to omicron it’s bound to cause chaos. If you haven’t got enough medical staff to cope you can’t magic backup out of thin air. Things like this don’t get reported in mainstream media for obvious reasons.

Really sorry to hear your joint juice injection has been delayed, hope they sort it soon. 👍

Ps. This young lass is a very good nurse (and person). I’ve known the family well for 20 years. No reason to see why she should lie about something as serious as this. 😕

Last edited:
I feel for you and I hope that you get your drug soon. I have RA too and take a 'biologic' drug which was previously administered by infusion like yourself. However, although it is now self-administered weekly via sub-cut injection I have not been immune from the knock-on effects of Covid. My drug has been found useful in treating Covid patients with runaway immune systems and which caused a world wide shortage of the drug and I was without it for nearly three months.

Just sayin’

This dont sound good at all!! It was a massive gamble the decision to just go ahead and wing it for Christmas essentially letting this strain rip. I guess we will know soon enough what damage its done in the next week or two. Dont get ill in January!

I feel for you and I hope that you get your drug soon. I have RA too and take a 'biologic' drug which was previously administered by infusion like yourself. However, although it is now self-administered weekly via sub-cut injection I have not been immune from the knock-on effects of Covid. My drug has been found useful in treating Covid patients with runaway immune systems and which caused a world wide shortage of the drug and I was without it for nearly three months.
It’s not good is it when your whole mobility is reliant on biological drugs this is the second time through covid that mine has been delayed and each time my joints take a hit I also fount out during Covid that even though I have had all 3 jabs they offer me no or little protection because of the drugs I am infused with I was on self injections daily but alas after a few years they stopped working I am now on my 5th biological drug this one seems to be lasting longer than the others 🤞

What do you mean Mark?
Because then he may be better informed, more of a chance to educate, opposed to going for “click bait” and calling someone he doesn’t agree with stupid.

For starters his comparison with Syphillus is daft.
If you have unprotected sex with someone with Syphillus, your chance of getting it is 30% +, untreated it’s pretty much certain that you will be damaged.
Because of the way Syphillus works our immune system has zero defence against it. That is not the case with Covid.

We know that some Covid deaths are due to cytokine storm, ok we don’t know if we can do anything about that by looking after our immune system, but surely it can’t do any harm.

My point really is, instead of just calling the caller nuts, it may have been better to congratulate him on eating healthy and looking after his immune system and then encourage him to go the next step and consider the vaccine.

I don’t go round calling people stupid for relying on a vaccine and doing nothing else to help themselves.

Fair do’s, I get the aversion towards Mr. Hartmann’s bedside manner. Syphilis can’t be inoculated against yet can be cured simply with antibiotics (Al Capone might have benefited from this - had he been able to!).

The truth is all of this is new and evolving, studies may take years to establish what we are actually dealing with and how we should react. My Wife and I are both double vaxed + boosted. I picked her up from hospital last week following her long awaited knee replacement. She is recovering well despite the fact we are both recovering from Omnicron as well.

Just sayin’

I would imagine what this young nurse is concerned about is that in moving her from speciality to speciality on different wards, she would be asked to administer oral drugs which she is not familiar with. Although prescribed by a doctor and, hopefully checked regularly by the hospital pharmacist, it is entirely her responsibility if she administers an incorrect drug or dose. Additionally, Intravenous drugs often need to be calculated when making them to the prescribed dosage and this can be quite complicated. Unfortunately errors are made when prescribing, dispensing and preparing all drugs and anyone being stressed during the process does lead to mistakes. The nurse can lose her registration, the doctor usually would get a slap on the wrist and the patient can suffer!
Having said that, there is a pharmacy app which is really good, which we used when checking unfamiliar drugs. This takes time too though, which is also in short supply when understaffed. @mariesnowgoose , I do hope your friend gets some support, it would be awful for her to buckle under this stress. She obviously is a good nurse as a poor one would have just administered drugs without checking!

Nurses have a legal responsibility to administer the correct drug and dose to the right person at the right time.
Doctors do make mistakes.
They are tired, sick too and often newly qualified and inexperienced.
This I know from long experience!
Giving an inappropriate drug just because it has been prescribed by a doctor is no defense for a nurse. Hence the need to check if a drug is outside of a nurse's knowledge.
Hope this helps.

Nurses have a legal responsibility to administer the correct drug and dose to the right person at the right time.
Doctors do make mistakes.
They are tired, sick too and often newly qualified and inexperienced.
This I know from long experience!
Giving an inappropriate drug just because it has been prescribed by a doctor is no defense for a nurse. Hence the need to check if a drug is outside of a nurse's knowledge.
Hope this helps.
There is a big difference between double checking an unfamiliar drug using an app clearly used by the NHS and being told to go Google it just my opinion.

There is a big difference between double checking an unfamiliar drug using an app clearly used by the NHS and being told to go Google it just my opinion.
Hopefully, someone will direct her to the correct app. Depends who told her to "Google it" (maybe a member of management with little understanding!) ..still takes time though which is not a commodity available on most wards. A drug round of twenty patients all needing different, sometimes unfamiliar drugs plus IVs to make up and administer can take an hour easily without being interrupted. Feel for her and the many in the same position.

Untill the workers notice that they are doing other people's jobs the lazy cu#ts will just let them.
Don't let good caring youngster s carry all the weight. Start smoking and get more breaks in, the only people who should sweat while at work are athletes, going for gold !

Now days with the ban it can take 20mins there and back ( designated smoking areas in the work place)

Because then he may be better informed, more of a chance to educate, opposed to going for “click bait” and calling someone he doesn’t agree with stupid.

For starters his comparison with Syphillus is daft.
If you have unprotected sex with someone with Syphillus, your chance of getting it is 30% +, untreated it’s pretty much certain that you will be damaged.
Because of the way Syphillus works our immune system has zero defence against it. That is not the case with Covid.

We know that some Covid deaths are due to cytokine storm, ok we don’t know if we can do anything about that by looking after our immune system, but surely it can’t do any harm.

My point really is, instead of just calling the caller nuts, it may have been better to congratulate him on eating healthy and looking after his immune system and then encourage him to go the next step and consider the vaccine.

I don’t go round calling people stupid for relying on a vaccine and doing nothing else to help themselves.
A rather stupid comment from Thom Hartmann completely missing the fact that without our immune system our species Homo sapiens would not exist, we would have died out hundreds of thousands of years ago and also that without our immune systems vaccines would not work as there would be nothing for the vaccine to stimulate.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back