Mull

From calmac website
Camping/Motorhomes - At the request of Visit Mull and Iona, we have been asked to advise our customers visiting these islands that you have a suitable pitch or campsite booked before you travel. Please ensure you have agreed overnight provisions prior to travel to the islands.

That is a real can of worms.

A ferry company can select who it transports for all sorts of reasons I suppose but what business is it of theirs where anyone is staying? Unless the council have taken, or been granted, extraordinary powers it is also no business of theirs. Has anyone been caught up in this? If you are in possession of a valid ticket and your vehicle meets the conditions laid down in Calmac's documents then I can see no way of this being a legal or enforceable arrangement. The link in the previous post comes across as being a ''guide''.

Cheers

H

That is a real can of worms.

A ferry company can select who it transports for all sorts of reasons I suppose but what business is it of theirs where anyone is staying? Unless the council have taken, or been granted, extraordinary powers it is also no business of theirs. Has anyone been caught up in this? If you are in possession of a valid ticket and your vehicle meets the conditions laid down in Calmac's documents then I can see no way of this being a legal or enforceable arrangement. The link in the previous post comes across as being a ''guide''.

Cheers

H
Knowing CalMac they could blacklist you.

I have probably been to Mull over 70 times, staying in all types of accomodation, and would regularly either compete, marshal or watch at the annual rally in October.
The genuine Islanders who work and earn their living there are the most friendly and accomodating I have ever met.
The only issues I have ever come across over the last 40 years have been with the moneyed 'incomers' who retire there for a peaceful life, and complain about any activities that 'disturb' them.

Maybe things have changed over the last 6 months ......

I have probably been to Mull over 70 times, staying in all types of accomodation, and would regularly either compete, marshal or watch at the annual rally in October.
The genuine Islanders who work and earn their living there are the most friendly and accomodating I have ever met.
The only issues I have ever come across over the last 40 years have been with the moneyed 'incomers' who retire there for a peaceful life, and complain about any activities that 'disturb' them.

Maybe things have changed over the last 6 months ......
White settlers they used to call them.

Mull...here’s the feedback...and some thoughts...

I have just started a visit to Mull, if there was a place desperately in need of a coherent strategy for motorhome parking this is it.

We booked a site for the first night as we would be in need of somewhere to fill and empty. As we are self contained all we need for the next week are places to park overnight and occasionally somewhere to park in the day to access shops etc. Nearly all of the many places we knew of that have long enabled motorhomes to park have recently been closed to us. All of the many Forestry Scotland carparks now seem to have ‘no overnight parking’ signs. Most of the small gravelled parking areas by the roadside have had similar signs placed there recently by the Estates who own the land, and the same for the publicly owned roadside parking There are just one or two spots left without signs thus increasing pressure on the remainder.

We managed to get a last minute booking in another campsite after driving fruitlessly round the northern part of the Island, but if the Southern half proves no more welcoming we’ll be leaving Mull pretty sharpish.

It is understandably a reaction to the wave of dirty camping by unthinking Covidiots, which hopefully now has subsided, but it hardly leaves the legacy of a sustainable strategy for motorhome tourism. It’s hardly worth Tourism Scotland extolling the country’s virtues when the absence of infrastructure causes residents to adopt a defensive hostile strategy of driving away the visitors.

Given its self contained nature Mull would be one place that could readily use some joined up thinking to create a network of strategically located publicly accessible paid-for service points. These would support a distributed network of ‘wild’ parking locations, which are a major attraction to those who come to Mull. These could be largely based on an enhancement of the now-closed existing locations, plus locations close to and supporting local village businesses. This scheme could be paid for through a stay-the-night permit system (pay so much for so many nights) which could fund the enhancements and feed revenue into the public and private landowners on whose land the park-ups lie. Permits could be sold on the ferry or on-line.

By controlling the numbers of permits the scheme could manage the load imposed on the currently limited road infrastructure and match arrivals with overnight capacity.

This should not unduly compete with campsites as even now approaching October they are nearly all full. Indeed spreading self-contained vehicles around parking locations would liberate campsite space for those people in smaller non-self-contained vehicles who actually need the services of a campsite every night. And would provide capacity for winter visitors when campsites are either closed or ground unsuitable.

Any thoughts? It’s no good moaning that such a scheme would lose us Wildcamping places on Mull...they’ve already mostly gone.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back