Mould

tbalin

Hi! My campervan has a little leakage through the roof vent. I'm now fixing the vent, but the main problem is that the wood part of the interior is wet and mouldy (see the pictures attached). Do you think I can get away with it without removing and replacing the wood part? Do you think it's enough to fix the vent and dry the wood part?

Thanks,
Balint
mould1.jpg
mould2.jpg
mould4.jpg
mould5.jpg

Dont think you will get it all with a wood preserver, if you cannot id rip it all out and start again.

Dont think you will get it all with a wood preserver, if you cannot id rip it all out and start again.
Trev's right, you can't see how far in the rot has gone. You could try poking a blade or screwdriver into the delaminated are to see how far in the rot goes but the pics suggest it has travelled further than you can get at in situ. The wood hardener is great stuff and will soak in to provide a firm edge. If you decide to chance it, I would see if you can spray the wood hardener rather than brush it, that way it will penetrate deeper, you should also spray some wet rot treatment in first.

Forgot to mention that you need to be careful that you don't get everything too wet with chemicals as they may get through and stain the ceiling board.

The Laika had a leak that was hidden behind paneling. When I found it the floor had delamination luckily under the bed. I carefully racked out the damaged ply with a metal saw blade. Then used the same to work white PVA glue in where the damage had occurred. Couple of weights and two days later solid as a rock.

Trev's right, you can't see how far in the rot has gone. You could try poking a blade or screwdriver into the delaminated are to see how far in the rot goes but the pics suggest it has travelled further than you can get at in situ. The wood hardener is great stuff and will soak in to provide a firm edge. If you decide to chance it, I would see if you can spray the wood hardener rather than brush it, that way it will penetrate deeper, you should also spray some wet rot treatment in first.
Thanks for the tips! I tried poking with the screwdriver. I ended up removing the white cover layer, and the rod went quite far. So I definitely have to remove the damaged ply. It seems that the leakage might be coming from one of the roof rack holes. I can't tell for sure. Any suggestion for covering the rack hole?

Hard to tell from the pics but I assume that the delamination is on all four sides of the rooflight which would suggest it was the sealant around the rooflight which has failed, rather than the rain penetrating from a single roof rack fixing.

Thanks for the replies. I fixed the vent and removed most of the wet plywood. I also ran my diesel heater for a couple of hours in the last two days. Unfortunately, when I check it in the morning, there's a good amount of moisture in the van, and the edge of the previously dry plywood gets wet.
Do you think it's wet because the van hasn't dried yet? Or is there a bigger problem with the van? There was no rain in the last couple of days here.
Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I just keep running the heater and wait?

Keep the heat going and make sure you have some ventilation. There is probably a lot of wet wood to dry out. A decent dehumidifier would help too.

Its probably condensation from the heat. Cold night and it forms on the windows or any other surface that is cold. If you have a gap between the roof outer and ply condensation will form. You could do with a dehumidifier running with all the windows shut.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back