Motorhome Newbie Need Advice

Ramsay

Free Member
I'm looking to purchase a used motorhome in the next few weeks, I will be using it mostly for walking and fishing trips so the motorhome will be wild camping allot.
Is there any specific specifications on the motorhome to look out for ? Like upgraded lesure batterys ? ect...

Thanks.

I'm looking to purchase a used motorhome in the next few weeks, I will be using it mostly for walking and fishing trips so the motorhome will be wild camping allot.
Is there any specific specifications on the motorhome to look out for ? Like upgraded lesure batterys ? ect...

Thanks.
Ramsay, you are gonna have to give more info. Weekend use only or 2/3 week trips, number of occupants, all seasons, budget etc etc If you want specific specs you need to give your specs :)

Little bit random ? almost trollish ?

All Id say Ramsay is make sure that it isnt one with a Kitchen Nightmare :)

Ramsay, you are gonna have to give more info. Weekend use only or 2/3 week trips, number of occupants, all seasons, budget etc etc If you want specific specs you need to give your specs :)

Weekend trips mostly, 2 Adults , preferable all season except extreme weather conditions.

Unsure van conversion or motorhome to go for budget is around £15K

Weekend trips mostly, 2 Adults , preferable all season except extreme weather conditions.

Unsure van conversion or motorhome to go for budget is around £15K
This is a general comment .... There have been a few posts on here recently expressing problems getting what are really fairly mundane parts for their older vans. And your budget would typically mean you are likely looking at older vehicles?
Now something that you very rarely see with VW Transporters, even going back 30 or 40 years, is parts issues because the VW 'scene' is so large and well supported. Yes, you pay a premium for the VW Badge and some parts can be more pricey than other makes, but at least they are pretty much always available!
I think the same tends to be true of Mercedes as they seem to pride themselves on keeping spares available for a long long time.

The above is just my opinion. Others may agree or disagree, but when I needed to get anything for the various VW vans I have had, I could always source it, whether original VW part or a compatible one.

15k is a panel van conversion imo

As Wildebus says parts availability is a good place to start. Wanting it in the next few weeks is far from ideal but if that the case.

All season use in th UK.......know what insulation they have used and who fitted it. Insulation is the hidden variable that you can not inspect but the quality of material (receipts) and application can be the difference between a cold and damp van opposed to a cosy and fresh van. Look for any signs of mould in the hard to reach crevices where air flow will be minimal. Wiring and plumbing etc you can tweak.

Probably about the biggest tip I could give is to go round several dealers just to look at as many vans as you can. Set yourself a date before which you won't buy and stick to it. The idea is to see what layouts are available and which will suit you best. Try to imagine living with the van for a typical outing. Ask yourself where you'll store your gear, where will you dry wet clothes, are the beds acceptable, etc. etc. With a little luck, you'll find a range of layouts that will work for you -- and that's when you can start looking to buy.

Regarding older vehicles: habitation parts shouldn't be an issue as you can usually replace older parts with more modern equivalents. However, parts for the base vehicle (engine, transmission, suspension, etc.) are a different matter. That said, £15k should get you something under 20 years old and you should be OK if you choose a common platform like Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer, Mercedes Sprinter, and VW Transporter.

Good luck.

I think the same tends to be true of Mercedes as they seem to pride themselves on keeping spares available for a long long time.
They seem to pride themselves on keeping spares for every vehicle they ever sold. All of them. Even the ones before 1900.

Just purchased this today Fiat Ducato 2003 Purchased from family friend who was down sizing well chuffed :)

Attachments

• 20200919_151504.jpg
    20200919_151504.jpg
    839.8 KB · Views: 90
Nice size opening for garage - door mirror arms are like golddust if a single piece of rubber

Welcome to our world.

Good luck.
Now you need to know where you can safely and legally park up.

All the information is available on here to full members.
For less than the price a night on a campsite.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back