Motorbike replacement

r4dent

The little motorbike I usually use with the motorhome was badly damaged when a truck ran into the back of my outfit on a motorway, and so was my trailer.

I'm starting to think about a replacement but what?

My wife can't ride a push bike, so that rules out bikes and electric bikes .... Possibly a tandem?
I can't find a suitable electric two person trike.
I don't fancy a car and trailer.
I still got the BMW 850, but, in truth, it is too big for the pottering I use it for with the MoHo.
Two seater mobility scooters are great for Spain, but illegal in UK.

My current thought is a Piaggio MP3 (some are rideable on a car licence, so SWMBO could use it).
Anyone got experience of these?

Any other suggestions? The solution must be valid & legal in Spain & UK.

I'm considering repairing the 125, but I need a very large tin of T cut.

B020 Background.jpg

At the moment I would get another petrol 125, in the future batteries might be cheaper and better and cheaper :)

Honda are now making a replacement for the old C90 (step through, go anywhere bike). If it's anything like the old one it will be very light and easy to ride and will probably hold it's value better than most.

c4.png

Have a look through what these do, highly recommend them I have had some work done by them on my handcycle and they were very helpful when I was looking round. They do electric tandem on this link but check their other stuff :)

Honda are now making a replacement for the old C90 (step through, go anywhere bike). If it's anything like the old one it will be very light and easy to ride and will probably hold it's value better than most.

View attachment 74458
There's also a 125cc off road version that looks very smart....

Last edited:
The Yamaha Tricity 125cc liquid cooled looks a good all round proposition,
don't think it can be ridden on a car licence though (wheels spaced too close I guess).
Seems to be the most popular choice of the motorhoming French 3 wheeler riders in
my experience if that's any recommendation.

I have a nice little Honda CG125 in good trim and low mileage. It did live in the back of the van garage, but not needed now. I was going to sell it on Gumtree as a learner's bike.
F13F9C72-B592-470F-8D03-CD38559E1C77.jpeg

I would go for a scooter. If your using a trailer you dont need to stick to a 125 either. Honda SH300 or something like that. I have the 110 Honda Vision but only because its light enough to put on a rack, otherwise I would have something more powerful but for the van I think I would still have a scooter. Loads of storage space you see. Top box, under the seat, cubby holes in the front faring for drinks, gloves etc and I can even carry a full size large thetford on the footplate. ideal for trips out, stop and starting in traffic in towns etc and you can park them anywhere and of course load it up with shopping to take back to the van.

I dont think you need something too powerful with the motorhome as the van does all the leg work getting from one place to another.

Honda SH300 scooter. stores two helmets (one in top box) and jackets, plenty of go up hills two up, easy on off being a step through, Honda build quality, physical size same as a 125, some fun 1 up as reasonable performance.

My previous Honda 125 did all the above practical things but without the fun.

Suzuki address 110 great fun bike
room for 2 add a top box for capacity
it will easily get to 50 and above 2 up.
wouldn't go anywhere without it on the rack.
we have a trailer and a forza 300 and transalp 700 but prefer the little one everytime
1572990473962_20180911_114941.jpg

Last edited:
I've always fancied one of these, but I don't know if it's legal to tow abroad on it's own draw bar.

My understanding is that in the UK it would be a "braked trailer" and that as such the brakes must work with the MoHo brakes.
(same as the requirement for brakes on a A frame ca).

In Spain it would be the same as "A" frame towing, so a no no.
I have though about putting one on a trailer, but parking would be the same as a car. I just love prking the bike for free in Spain.

I have a 125 Yamaha and a 650 Honda, I find the Honda much safer
on any road with HGVs running at their max. permitted speed, (which is rarely below their
legal max.) very few 125s will run comfortably at 65mph which is what you
need to keep between trucks, let alone overtake. But it's the 125 I take on the
van mainly due to being easier to ramp up and secure.
Problem is, even rarer are 2 wheel road bikes over 125cc which are able to hold
65-70mph and which weigh in at less than130kg, KTM390 is 143kg and Honda
CB300R 143kg both nakeds, not ideal for typical motorhome use. And big
capacity scooters equals big weight.
None of the big Mbike manufacturers are selling c. 250cc bikes in the UK these
days due to intrusive/restrictive licencing requirements for learners.

I like the look of the Suzuki vanvan 125 available in 250 as well,nice chunky tyres,its what im considering carrying at the moment.Not able to post picture as of yet.

Suzuki address 110 great fun bike
room for 2 add a top box for capacity
it will easily get to 50 and above 2 up.
wouldn't go anywhere without it on the rack.
we have a trailer and a forza 300 and transalp 700 but prefer the little one everytimeView attachment 74474

Always interested in a MH with a rack so what model of van is that please? Looks a short overhang as well. Still on the look out for a replacement for our Kontiki but there are few vans with enough payload and the layout we like which is rear lounge.

I don’t know if it’s of concern to you but you do need at least 150cc for motorways in Italy. Otherwise 125s are fine and plenty of fun can be had on them. Those that say they lack fun just need to try a bit harder. 👍😆

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back